TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
lucidrenegade

Thinking about switching back to Tivo - questions

With the new Roamios out now, I'm thinking about switching back to Tivo.

I had one of the original Sony Series 1 boxes with a lifetime subscription. The box is long dead, but I still have the serial number / service number. Could I transfer that to the new Roamio? How much would it cost?

Does Tivo Desktop allow you to start watching a show before it completes downloading to the PC? I'd prefer to just be able to stream it instead of downloading, but that would work ok too.

Can you play MKV files (like blu-ray rips, etc.) from a remote network share on the Tivo? How about from the Mini? I can do this now on my HTPC, but it would be nice to have one device to do it all.
lucidrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The answer to all your questions are No.

Only S1 units bought in 1999 have the ability to transfer lifetime service. The Sony S1 didn't even exist until late 2000 or maybe 2001.

TiVo Desktop can only download shows, not stream. You can actually start playing them as they download but Windows Media Player wont dynamically update the length so it'll still stop playing as soon as it hits the end of whatever you had when it started playing.

You can copy those files to the TiVo using a 3rd party app called pyTiVo, but it's not actually streaming. It's doing a realtime transocde to a format the TiVo supports and transferring it like a .tivo file. Although there was a thread a while back about a company that was supposedly developing a DLNA app for TiVo, so maybe eventually we'll be able to do actual streaming.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote