TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
JosephB

Suggestions for a returning TiVo addict

(Disclaimer: You may notice my DVR history in my signature, it is out of date)

So here's my situation:

I currently have DirecTV with a Genie + 2 "Genie Mini" clients. I live alone, so there's no multi-user issues to work out with my setup. I'm switching back to my local cable company (Charter) because their pricing, even after the promotional period is over, and including TiVo service fees is still cheaper than DirecTV after my promo credits expire w/ DirecTV.

I have a big screen in the living room, an older HD set in my office, and a smallish HD set in my bedroom. I work fro home, so I often have my TV on in my office, but usually on live TV, not recorded or trick playing content.

Got an Xbox One on order, it'll probably serve as my Netflix/HBO Go/Hulu/streaming media box for anything it supports, and whatever TiVo I get will only be used for things the Xbox doesn't.

Previous to my year stint with the Genie, I was with Charter with two Premieres (wasn't working at home and didn't use the office TV at that point).

I had a prior TiVoHD that I had activated but didn't really use, and when I deactivated it, they offered really really cheap lifetime service, and I fancied myself selling it, so I took them up on the offer, but never sold it. So, in my closet I have a TiVoHD with lifetime and two Premieres (dual tuner models) that are not activated. Last time I used them was last December.

So, for those of you who have stuck with me this far, and I really appreciate that, my question is this: Have updates to the Premiere made them more bearable? Are they any faster at all than they were a year ago? I don't know what I should do, whether I should activate both of the Premieres and get two cablecards, or if I should get a new 4 tuner Roamio and a Mini? I'm 99% sure I'm just going to get a CableCard for my lifetime TiVoHD and stick that in my office for daytime work viewing + hook it up to my slingbox. I just need advice on whether or not I should go Roamio + Mini or save the $300 and stick it out with Premieres, considering my Netflix, etc usage will be on the Xbox. Are the Roamios that much faster that it'd be worth upgrading?

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

Just curious how good of a deal did they offer you for a lifetime when you discontinued your service?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
So, for those of you who have stuck with me this far, and I really appreciate that, my question is this: Have updates to the Premiere made them more bearable?
No. No faster. Still the same old dog.

Quote:
I'm 99% sure I'm just going to get a CableCard for my lifetime TiVoHD and stick that in my office for daytime work viewing + hook it up to my slingbox. I just need advice on whether or not I should go Roamio + Mini or save the $300 and stick it out with Premieres, considering my Netflix, etc usage will be on the Xbox. Are the Roamios that much faster that it'd be worth upgrading?
I also have a TiVoHD w/lifetime and Slingbox in my office, it works out well.

The Roamio basic was my choice because we have only OTA available. It is so much faster that you will be delighted. There are also subtle improvements in menu organization. Once I threw in a 3TB hard drive the Roamio became the ideal DVR for my purposes.

I think you'd be wise to go the Roamio + Mini route.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Interesting, though, is that a big update for the premiere is due any time now, hopefully even later this week for those who signed up for it. You may want to see the responses here to that update before pulling the trigger on something else. Though, I'm not familiar with the update process for Charter boxes and your experience could have been before the software version that opened up the second core of the CPU.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
poppagene
User

I can't speak to the roamio, but I have 3 premieres and they are faster in my usage than the tivo hd or S3 oleds they replaced. I use don;t use the hd menus and that may affect my perfomance as the hd menu may be slower. As far as streaming from tivo to tivo and transfers of shows, the premieres are much faster at transfers and the series 3 tivos can't stream from machine to machine.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Just curious how good of a deal did they offer you for a lifetime when you discontinued your service?
They were offering $99 for TiVo HDs that had been active but were being replaced by a TiVo Premiere. I was replacing the HD which was in my bedroom with a new Premiere and I got lifetime on the HD for $99. I had planned to sell the HD but never did, and eventually I decided I'd hang on to the HD for OTA use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post
No. No faster. Still the same old dog.

I also have a TiVoHD w/lifetime and Slingbox in my office, it works out well.

The Roamio basic was my choice because we have only OTA available. It is so much faster that you will be delighted. There are also subtle improvements in menu organization. Once I threw in a 3TB hard drive the Roamio became the ideal DVR for my purposes.

I think you'd be wise to go the Roamio + Mini route.
I've been crunching the numbers and I am very, very close to going this way. I have a pretty hefty ETF with DirecTV, but Charter is giving me a rebate for more than half of it. If I do go with a new one, it will be a base Roamio, I never hit a limit with 5 tuners on my DirecTV Genie, I think four tuners would be enough for me living alone. Plus, I can always tie OTA into my TiVo HD for anything I might record on the networks to take pressure off the Roamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Interesting, though, is that a big update for the premiere is due any time now, hopefully even later this week for those who signed up for it. You may want to see the responses here to that update before pulling the trigger on something else. Though, I'm not familiar with the update process for Charter boxes and your experience could have been before the software version that opened up the second core of the CPU.
While I have Charter as my cable company, these are retail boxes, not cable company leased boxes. Unfortunately Charter cancelled their TiVo trials and decided not to go with TiVo, so I have to go the retail + cable cards route. I last used these around November/December of last year, so that's the last reference I have to how slow they were.

Unfortunately I can't really wait, my install is on Friday and I want to have whatever I'm going to have before then. I don't want to have them install in my Preimeres, and then a month later try to move the cable cards to a new Roamio setup. Cable cards and tuning adapters are a house of cards with my local division of Charter, so I want to rock the boat as little as possible.

Given the fact that the Mini is cheaper month to month than a full DVR, and how much I'm going to save off of DirecTV, I'm about 75% decided to get a base Roamio + a mini for Living room + Bedroom, and use my lifetime'd TiVo HD for my office.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
unitron

You can click on User CP near the top of the page and edit your sig file to bring it up to date.

Or to totally lie to us about what you really have, come to think of it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You can click on User CP near the top of the page and edit your sig file to bring it up to date.

Or to totally lie to us about what you really have, come to think of it.
Oh, I know. I just never updated it. When I switched to DirecTV, obviously I didn't have much reason to post around here. I'm a long time TiVo customer, I got a Series 1 back when they were selling them at Walmart and have had quite a few DVRs with the little guy on front.

The sig is up to date, except that right now those 2x Premieres are in my closet and I have a DirecTV Genie. I've pretty much decided to get a 4 tuner Roamio and a TiVo Mini for my Living Room and Bedroom, respectively, and use my TiVo HD with Lifetime in my office.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
mattack

Premieres are still slow as dirt (I have a Premiere 4).. When the Roamio first came out, I was strongly tempted to upgrade to it JUST for the speed (and sell my lifetime Tivo HD & Premiere 4 & Tivo Stream, to hopefully pay for most of it).. I've gotten myself off the ledge, but am still considering it.. (yeah I know the others become worth less as time goes by)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
... and have had quite a few DVRs with the little guy on front.
Okay, that tells us you never had a 540 "nightlight" model.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Okay, that tells us you never had a 540 "nightlight" model.

Nope.I got an HDR 112 my senior year of high school, I worked in the electronics department at Wal-mart and got a pretty nice discount. That lasted me quite a while, when I went to college I took it with me but didn't always have it active. Eventually I got a TCD649080 in my dorm. Later after I moved to an off-campus apartment I got a cable company DVR. When I moved back home I ended up with several DirecTiVos, I know for sure a GXCEBOT and an HDVR2 and I think my third one was an RCA DVR-something. Those were the good old days of TiVo Web and having a bash shell on the box. Eventually one of the DirecTiVos died and I added an Ultimate TV to the mix.

Eventually I moved out on my own to an apartment and got a TiVo HD, that one lasted me until I graduated college. Once out on my own for really real, I ended up with a DirecTV DVR, switched to Dish, switched to cable and got my two Premieres. I got fed up with Charter and the Genie was really intriguing (and the Minis weren't out yet) so I switched BACK to DirecTV. I recently bought a new TV and have been looking at my options since I'm ripping out all my TV stuff and it turns out I will save a TON of money, get the same channels, AND be able to get back to my beloved TiVo if I switch back to Charter so here I am

Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
unitron

The 540s were notorious for the TiVo guy on the front coming unglued and falling off.