TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
ibadukefan

Cheapest way to connect my Tivo with wifi?

I need to get my Tivo on my wifi network. I am trying to find the cheapest way to do that.

Can I use something like this:

amazon dot com/Panda-150Mbps-Wireless-N-2-4GHz-Adapter/dp/B00762YNMG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375420931&sr=1-1

I've got FIOS with their router. I also have an Apple Airport Extreme. The router is connected to my computer not near my Tivo. Currently, I have the AE connected to the Tivo but I can't get it setup where the Tivo gets a signal even though the AE shows connected.

Can I just use one of these cheap adapters to connect the Tivo? I'd prefer to not use the FIOS router and setup the AE for the network.

Thoughts?
ibadukefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

No you can't. The Tivo can only use the Tivo branded adapters thru USB.

You could use a wireless bridge though:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?ke...dge&sort=price

It converts wifi to ethernet.

Your FIos router may be able to do it or if you have an extra router sitting around it may be able to do it.
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
ibadukefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
No you can't. The Tivo can only use the Tivo branded adapters thru USB.
I've read that people have gotten some adapters to work. ???
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibadukefan View Post
I've read that people have gotten some adapters to work. ???
As have I.

I use the Tivo brand N adapters and, granted, they're not cheap but they also offer reconditioned ones for a pretty good discount. One of mine is reconditioned and the other is new, and they work equally well. I think it was about $30 off for the one.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

I doubt you'll be able to set up your AE as a bridge to a FIOS router. Look it up, perhaps someone has, but these certainly prefer to bridge off of an apple product.

You can search for a USB wifi unit that works (not aware of any that work with a Premiere, some do with older boxes), but I would not bother with the effort. Hardwire or bridge.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Teeps

My TiVo is connected to a Linksys WES610N.
TiVo thinks it's connected to a hardwire router/network.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Something like this will work - it's an ethernet to wifi adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE20...t+wifi+adapter
Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
I need to get my Tivo on my wifi network. I am trying to find the cheapest way to do that.

Can I use something like this:

amazon dot com/Panda-150Mbps-Wireless-N-2-4GHz-Adapter/dp/B00762YNMG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375420931&sr=1-1

I've got FIOS with their router. I also have an Apple Airport Extreme. The router is connected to my computer not near my Tivo. Currently, I have the AE connected to the Tivo but I can't get it setup where the Tivo gets a signal even though the AE shows connected.

Can I just use one of these cheap adapters to connect the Tivo? I'd prefer to not use the FIOS router and setup the AE for the network.

Thoughts?
Cheapest is relative! I have had both of my TiVo's connected via wireless bridge devices 5Ghz N300. Before I was forced due to a move to switch from DirecTV to cable I had two DirecTV HD DVR's connected. Due to a more recent switch of ISP allowing me to relocate my router, I've retired one Bridge. I've always had multiple devices connected to the bridge devices also i.e. BlueRay, SmartTV, HTH so while the bridge device may have cost more that it provided not one but 4 gigabit ports offsets the expense. The DLink DAP-1522 has been great for me, I wanted to upgrade to a DAP-1533 though I'm going to skip that and finish my system upgrade to AC with a WD My Net AC Bridge. Among AC Media Bridge devices the WD is consistently the one that seems to out preform the rest.
Though if your N or just now upgrading to Dual Band (Highly Recommended) then a DAP-1522(N300) or 1533(N450) would be a good buy. They have come down significantly in price lately.

DAP-1522 - $64.40 Amazon

DAP-1533 - $94.30 Amazon

WD My Net 4‑Port Gigabit Wireless... $129.99 Fry's

You may be able to find better prices I just grabbed a couple from well known sources without searching for the best price.
If you have a BluRay, Game Machine, SmarTV a bridge with mutiple ports becomes more cost effective, and would it really hurt to have an extra Gigabit Port handy?
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
ibadukefan

Thanks for all the input! I went ahead and ordered a used D-Link (1522) Bridge from Amazon Warehouse Deals for 30 bucks. It's gigabit and gives me 4 options, 3 of which I will actually use. Easily the cheapest option since there is no real option at this point for a wired solution.

Thanks again guys/gals!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

I tried the D-Link Bridge, but the signal strength wasn't strong enough to stream from the other Premiere downstairs. I returned it for the Trendnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter and it has been working great.
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
ShayL

Since you have FIOS, I would suggest you go the MOCA route. You already have half of the equation with FIOS. You can use this MOCA adapter for the TiVo side. It is the top product.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
ibadukefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
Since you have FIOS, I would suggest you go the MOCA route. You already have half of the equation with FIOS. It is the top product.
While I agree it is a really great solution, it is way more than I want to spend right now on the basis that I would have to purchase more than one adapter to complete the solution which would wind up costing me atleast 3 times what I am spending with the used bridge. I'm about to have my 3rd baby....PRIORITIES!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
ShayL

Quote:
While I agree it is a really great solution, it is way more than I want to spend right now on the basis that I would have to purchase more than one adapter to complete the solution which would wind up costing me atleast 3 times what I am spending with the used bridge. I'm about to have my 3rd baby....PRIORITIES!!!
You only need one MOCA adapter. The actiontec already has MOCA built in.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you have a 4 tuner TiVo you can use MoCa without any extra equipment. It's built into the 4 tuner boxes.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote