TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
JoBeth66
Temp

Strange Tivo problem

I have a S3 premier in my family room and an S2 HD in my bedroom. Tonight, at what appears to be the same time, they stopped displaying. The TVs are getting signals from them, and the Tivo in the family room has a recording light on, but I can't get to any of the menus. Just black screens.

TVs are working fine on all other inputs.

Help?
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Just for clarity's sake, its S4 Premiere and S3 HD

-Do you have the IOS app, can you access the Premiere from it?

-When you make remote keypresses, does the Premiere's yellow light blink? (I skipped s3, so Im not sure it has the same functionality?)

-Do you get audio?

-Have you power cycled the Tivos?

-Is someone punking you and has pulled the video cables?

-Have you tried a different connection type from the box to the tv? E.g. Switch from HDMI to composite.

-Theres a tiny chance that you got a power surge down either power or coax, but what are the odds that the only damaged equipment was the 2 tivos?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
timhbtr53

OK you left out some info, or you on cable are OTA? Is it possible that your cable is down? It is kind of strange thing that both went down at the same time. Was you watching live TV or a recorded show on your TiVo? I would do what lgnad said pull the power on both and wait about 10 seconds and plug them back in. I have been watching mine all day and there was no software update today. I hope you get them back up.
timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
JoBeth66
Temp

Sorry - it was just a weird night and yes, I left some info out. S3 HD, S4 Premier. On cable. We were watching live TV and it went out on the TV downstairs. Power cycled & nothing. Other inputs work just fine. Cable was just fine. Android App, and was able to schedule a recording, and the recording light came on. No audio. Yellow light blinks. When I'm on the TiVo input, I don't get the "no signal" message that I get if the cable is out. Restart and we get the 'Powering up' message, then the "almost there" message, on the S3 we get most of the animation then it drops at the end. On the S4 we get most of the startup, but it drops before it gets to the THX screen.

When the one downstairs went out, we figured we'd deal with it in the morning, and that's when we found the one upstairs out. Nobody punking us - just me & hubby and we were both sitting right there. No cables pulled.

This morning, the S3 is back up. I'll check the S4 after work. Just weird weird weird.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
timhbtr53

On your Series 3 it sounds like you're about to have the bad caps on your power supply problem or a bad hard drive. If it get to the welcome screen and stays there it's one or the other bad hard drive or caps on power supply. If you know how to solder it's a easy job and the parts will cost you about 10-15 dollars. If you don't think you can do it let me know and I will do it for you but you will have to take the supply out and ship it to me. It's not hard to get out and it will save you a ton on S&H. Does the S4 have a M-Card or just a cable with no card?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhbtr53 View Post
On your Series 3 it sounds like you're about to have the bad caps on your power supply problem or a bad hard drive. If it get to the welcome screen and stays there it's one or the other bad hard drive or caps on power supply. If you know how to solder it's a easy job and the parts will cost you about 10-15 dollars. If you don't think you can do it let me know and I will do it for you but you will have to take the supply out and ship it to me. It's not hard to get out and it will save you a ton on S&H. Does the S4 have a M-Card or just a cable with no card?
S4 has an M-Card. Both working now. It didn't get to the welcome screen and just stay there - it got through about 90% of the welcome animation then just went black. Same thing on the S3.

Soldering we can do, if it comes to that, but thanks for the offer.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
timhbtr53

Great News

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
S4 has an M-Card. Both working now. It didn't get to the welcome screen and just stay there - it got through about 90% of the welcome animation then just went black. Same thing on the S3.

Soldering we can do, if it comes to that, but thanks for the offer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So glad to hear your back up and running. If you need the caps part numbers from mouser or digikey let me know and I will send you my cart. Saves a lot of time.