TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
joeaksa

Time on the Tivo unit off?

Am having an issue with the time on my S-3 Tivo. WeakKnees says that the unit should get its time data off of the cable (Cox) but I read in other forums that the battery on the motherboard should be replaced to hold this data.

The Tivo is consistantly 4-5 minutes off from actual time, and that makes the recording time on and off wrong, so it cuts off the last couple of minutes of every program.

I am getting ready to dive inside the S-3 and guessing that its got the original motherboard battery on the unit, so will replace it but want to get it back on time once its buttoned up.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thx,

Joe

joeaksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaksa View Post
Am having an issue with the time on my S-3 Tivo. WeakKnees says that the unit should get its time data off of the cable (Cox) but I read in other forums that the battery on the motherboard should be replaced to hold this data.

The Tivo is consistantly 4-5 minutes off from actual time, and that makes the recording time on and off wrong, so it cuts off the last couple of minutes of every program.

I am getting ready to dive inside the S-3 and guessing that its got the original motherboard battery on the unit, so will replace it but want to get it back on time once its buttoned up.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thx,

Joe
Motherboard battery failure will cause a time of day problem, but usually only if the unit is powered down; and the failure is catastrophic, the clock will be decades off, not minutes. When a computer is powered, the clock runs on wall current, not the battery. This true for almost all computers and I have seen no evidence anything different is true for TiVos in particular.

All computers drift to some extent; and there have been periods when the TiVo server clock was apparently offset a few tens of seconds for a period not too long ago.

In my experience, forcing a connection causes one's TiVo to synchronize with the TiVo server; I would try forcing a connection and checking the clock right away and then periodically for a day or two. If it syncs up during the connection and then gets steadily worse as time goes on, your TiVo has a drifting clock. If it is bad right afterwards and stays about the same, TiVo's servers are at fault. If it bounces all over the place there is either a hardware bug or a software bug, which bug will never be fixed, unfortunately.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
pL86

A similar thing happened to my TiVo HD last year. THe TiVo HD doesn't have a built-in display clock like your series 3 but I think the underlying problem was the same. The internal clock in my TiVo suddenly decided to be a couple minutes ahead of actual time so recording started and ended early. The TiVo internal clock should sync with the TiVo server clocks when they connect but for whatever reason that wasn't happening after automated or manually triggered network connection. Ultimately, it was fixed by running guided setup again. Maybe that flushed the TiVo and forced it to sync properly. If you haven't tried it already I'd suggest rerunning guided setup again before turning to hardware solutions. A battery change may not be necessary.

Last edited by pL86; 02-04-2016 at 01:16 PM.
pL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
joeaksa

Thanks and will give this a try!!

Joe

joeaksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pL86 View Post
A similar thing happened to my TiVo HD last year. THe TiVo HD doesn't have a built-in display clock like your series 3 but I think the underlying problem was the same. The internal clock in my TiVo suddenly decided to be a couple minutes ahead of actual time so recording started and ended early. The TiVo internal clock should sync with the TiVo server clocks when they connect but for whatever reason that wasn't happening after automated or manually triggered network connection. Ultimately, it was fixed by running guided setup again. Maybe that flushed the TiVo and forced it to sync properly. If you haven't tried it already I'd suggest rerunning guided setup again before turning to hardware solutions. A battery change may not be necessary.
There was a problem near the end of 2015, either between Halloween and Thanksgiving or between Thanksgiving and Christmas if my memory isn't completely gone, where TiVos, at least S3 platform ones, were off by several minutes and not even uniformly off.

I noticed it in a room with 2 648s running at the time (that's the model with the clock on the front), they were showing different times from one another, and neither time was right.

Apparently it was some problem on TiVo's end which they eventually got straightened out.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #6
ej42137

All TiVo models have a "backdoor" toggle for displaying an onscreen clock: Select-Play-Select-9-Select.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
fdw777

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
All TiVo models have a "backdoor" toggle for displaying an onscreen clock: Select-Play-Select-9-Select.
Nice

fdw777 is offline   Reply With Quote