TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
jarviswabi

Cox Motorola TA PITA

Recently moved into a new apartment in Rhode Island with Cox (instead of FiOS like I had before), and have had a lot of trouble getting my Tivo HD working with the M-stream CableCARD and Motorola tuning adapter. The card paired up, and I'm getting some channels but no SDV. I've had a tech visit and three long sessions on the phone, and nobody has been able to get the TA to respond to a signal. The yellow light keeps blinking and blinking.

I've tried both the recommended Cox configuration (cable split between TA and Tivo and just USB between the two) and the other configuration I've seen (cable into TA and out to Tivo, plus USB). I've also tried removing the splitter Cox provided for my modem and using a second line directly into the TA. The latter change seemed to allow the CableCARD to pair up (it was WORKING before pairing but wasn't technically paired to Cox), but made no difference for the TA.

In the TA Diagnostic menu, under the Warning Report screen, it keeps repeating a "DL: Segment Timeout" message roughly every minute. Nobody seems to care about this, but it seems like it must mean something.

One of the support people I talked to conferenced in someone from Tivo who seemed more knowledgeable, but was only able to confirm from having me read him the information in the diag screens that the TA wasn't syncing.

The last support guy said that if he sends a tech out, they'll charge me for a "failed self-install", to which I said horses**t, since it's ridiculous to me that they would charge because the stuff they provided isn't working.

I'm getting frustrated with spending this much time trying to get a few channels that I MIGHT want to watch at some point, but I also want to get what I'm paying for.

I also went to the Cox store and exchanged my TA for a new one, hoping that it was a hardware issue, but the new one has done exactly the same thing.

Anybody had experience specifically with Cox and the Motorola TA? is signal strength an issue with them? It seems like the signal can't be too bad since my modem and CableCARD work fine, but since I've replaced the TA hardware, it also seems like something in the infrastructure isn't working right for the TA. If there are other threads that might be helpful, I'd be happy to be pointed at them. I've already searched and scanned through the first batch of results, but it was hard to find a specific reference to Cox and Motorola.

Thanks in advance.
jarviswabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Check the signal levels for your OOB signals. OOB = "out of band", signals that are used between TA and CableCARD and the cable system for control purposes, including requesting SDV channels.

Go into Tuning Adapter Diagnostics .... Status Summary ... Next Page. What are the FDC and RDC signal stengths, the ones given in dBmv? FDC should be in the -5 to +5 range. RDC should be in the 40 to 50 range. Values outside those ranges could cause SDV tuning failures, and must be fixed by Cox. This discussion applies to Cisco TA's but I'm guessing it applies to Motorola TA's also.

What does the light on the TA do? On? Off? Blinking? If blinking is there a repeated pattern, e.g., 8-blinks-then-pause?

Be sure to power-cycle the TA and restart the TiVo.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
jarviswabi

Information from Diag Screens

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the screens are different on the Motorola, but maybe some of this is connected:

Go into Tuning Adapter Diagnostics .... Status Summary ... Next Page. What are the FDC and RDC signal stengths, the ones given in dBmv? FDC should be in the -5 to +5 range. RDC should be in the 40 to 50 range.

- Don't have this page, but under "Downstream Status" screen, I get this:
OOB FREQ: 75.250 MHz
CARRIER LOCK: YES
SNR 24 dB GOOD
DATA: YES
HUNT MODE: NONE

INBAND FREQ: 000.000 MHz QAM64
CARRIER LOCK: NO
SNR 0 dB POOR

Then under the "Upstream Status" screen, I get this:
FREQUENCY: 0.000 MHz
REQ LEVEL: 000 dBmV
ACTUAL LEVEL: 000 dBmV

I'm no expert, but it seems like something in there isn't right. If the main purpose of the TA is to communicate UPstream, and those values are empty, something isn't right.

Still waiting for a reply from Cox to my request for a waiver of any service charges they would apply for sending a tech out and for someone who actually understands this stuff to be the one to call me. So tired of wasting time with people who barely know what a Tuning Adapter is.

Thanks for the suggestions.
jarviswabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I have no definite knowledge about Motorola TA diagnostics, and couldn't find anything very useful after some googling. However I tend to agree with your suspicion of the upstream link, which I think corresponds to the RDC link for Cisco TA's. I found an example of another users diagnostic printout that shows what i think is more normal upstream link parameters here:

http://www.missingremote.com/forums/...#comment-37889

UPSTREAM MODEM

FREQUENCY: 14.432 MHz
REQ LEVEL: 050 dBmV
ACTUAL LEVEL: 051 dBmV

I hope you can find someone at Cox that has a clue about these numbers!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote