TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Brian Kendig

Channel 2-1 has no signal on one Premiere, fine on the other

I have:

Antenna -> Signal amplifier -> Through the walls to a cable junction box in the master bedroom closet -> Splitter

One cable from the splitter goes to a TiVo Premiere in the bedroom. It gets strong signal on all channels.

The other cable from the splitter goes to an identical TiVo Premiere in the living room (it's a long run). It gets strong signals on all channels, but it gets zero signal on 2-1, 2-2, and 2-3. It's looking on frequency 11, which is correct. Sometimes the signal on the next channel up (6-1) is somewhat weak, but not always.

I find it weird that the channel 2 selections are all at zero strength on this TiVo. Any thoughts as to what could cause this, or what I could do about it? Could the length of the cable cause problems only with the lower channels?

Brian Kendig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

What type of antenna do you have? If it's UHF only then maybe the premiere on the shorter length of cable has good enough VHF signal strength and less attenuation than the premiere on the longer cable? Those channels you mention are VHF (lower channels).

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
Brian Kendig

The antenna is a ClearStream 2V, which was highly rated on Amazon and has (otherwise) done well do far. It handles UHF and VHF.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kendig View Post
The antenna is a ClearStream 2V, which was highly rated on Amazon and has (otherwise) done well do far. It handles UHF and VHF.
Ok thanks. Yes they're good antennas. I have the CS 4V version.

I guess the next step would be to maybe swap the TiVo locations to see if the problem follows the TiVo or it stays at each location, regardless of which Premiere is used.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
tivoyahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Those channels you mention are VHF (lower channels).
but the tivo shows virtual channels, but if you go to signal strength it should show channel 2-1 and the frequency, which may be uhf.

what city/area is this? is channel 2 possibly located on 2 different transmitters? have you checked your channel list? is 2-1 duplicated in the channel list with different call letters? maybe you have the wrong one picked, the one with weaker signal from the farther tower.

here's an example of that, 2 towers for 2-1:
http://www.choisser.com/channels.html

and even though it's channel 2, it's in the 40's as far transmitter channel, so uhf.

tivoyahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Brian Kendig

I'm in Celebration Florida, zip code 34747.

Channel 2-1 is RF 11, and channel 6-1 is RF 26. Looks like my TiVo is looking on the correct frequencies, and according to http://transition.fcc.gov/, doesn't look like anyone else is broadcasting on those frequencies around here.

I suppose my next step would be to pull the entertainment center away from the wall and wander into the spider's web of cables back there, try connecting the antenna cable directly to the television and see if that's able to see channel 2, and also make sure all connections are tight. I may as well also get better-quality coax cables while I'm at it.

I appreciate the help; thank you!

Old 08-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
HarperVision
TiVo's Italian Cuz!

I think your next step should be swapping premiere locations, like I said. And channel 2-1 being RF 11 means it's a VHF High channel.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
tivoyahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I think your next step should be swapping premiere locations, like I said. And channel 2-1 being RF 11 means it's a VHF High channel.
I agree. swapping the premieres bedroom / living room will tell you if it's a signal level issue in the living room or not. as opposed to a tuner / hardware issue on the premiere in the living room. if you confirm it's a signal issue, then I'd attack that spider web of cables and see what connectors and cables are in there that might be dropping the signal level - other than the long run of coax which we already know is a factor.

I've never been impressed with the Premiere ota tuner. and you have it happening on a vhf high and a uhf so signal drop over the long run could be enough to take both channels out with low signal. but you probably have some less than optimal connections in that run too. is it rg-6 cable or rg-59?

https://sewelldirect.com/learning-center/rg59-or-rg6

Old 08-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #9
tivoyahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kendig View Post
Antenna -> Signal amplifier -> Through the walls to a cable junction box in the master bedroom closet -> Splitter
if you didn't want to swap the premieres as first step, instead of attacking the wiring from the living room end, there is another approach.

you could temporarily replace the splitter in the bedroom closet with one of the attached - Barrel Joiner Connector Coupler - whatever you want to call it. that would direct all the signal to the living room instead of having the splitter drop the signal 3.5db on each leg of the split. that's a quick and dirty test to see if that gets you channels 2 and 6 and would confirm a signal level issue.

And then if that works and you don't want to attack the "spider web" of cables going to living room, to complete the quick and dirty fix, you may be able to get away with a directional tap to split the signal - see attached. where the -6db leg goes to the bedroom on the shorter run and the other leg goes to the living room, directing stronger signal on that path. might be enough to get you over the hump. The directional splitter isn't a bad idea either way as it's only a few dollars and will direct more signal to your longer length run to living room. may need to clean up the spider web run to the living room anyway to boost the signal more, but installing those should be easy if the closet splitter is easy to get to. sounds like the living room wiring may be buried behind an entertainment center or something and a challenge to deal with.

but you could have a bad connector or a crimped cable in that living room run that is attenuating the signal that is the real issue. but the method above might be a quick band aid to apply until you root out the real issue. and it's not a wasted step since I'd leave that directional splitter there. and btw, your amp, does that have a single output to the splitter? it's not a multi output splitter is it? because that would split and drop the signal as well if there are unused ports.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mnhSUQDA6LCodRX4dbUOtxA.jpg (7.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HRT106_zoom.jpg (29.2 KB, 0 views)