Old 12-13-2015, 03:24 AM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

The Man in the High Castle - Episodes 5 and 6 thread *spoilers*

Discuss eps 5 and 6 here.

synopsis for ep 5
Spoiler:
5. The New Normal

Juliana returns home, only to discover new clues that lead her closer to unravelling the mystery behind the films. Meanwhile, Joe faces a tough debriefing upon his return home. Kido begins his investigation into the events surrounding the Crown Prince's Speech, while Tagomi and Wegener make a last-ditch attempt to complete their mission.

synopsis for ep 6
Spoiler:
6. Three Monkeys

Joe celebrates VA day at Smith's house. Juliana accepts a job working for Tagomi as she continues her search for answers. Smith invites an old friend to join the celebrations with surprising results.

I'm in the middle of ep 7 myself.

So, I'm confused, what's the deal between Tagomi and Wegener? What was in the microfilm? It looked like atomic bomb plans that he was giving to the science minister. If so, is it to try to even up the balance of technology (between the Japanese and Germans) and thus power?

I forget which ep it happened it, but after the shooting, when I saw the Japanese guy committing suicide... I thought.. .ahh yes, ritual suicide. I'd heard of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku but didn't realize that someone also chops off the head.

Was there any significance to Obergruppenführer's wife taking 2 barbiturate pills? The label said take 1.

Oh yes, for those think didn't pick up on it, "hai" in Japanese means yes. I've picked up a few words (at best) here are there after having visited Japan 5x, so far.

cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post

So, I'm confused, what's the deal between Tagomi and Wegener? What was in the microfilm? It looked like atomic bomb plans that he was giving to the science minister. If so, is it to try to even up the balance of technology (between the Japanese and Germans) and thus power?
I think so.
It would seem that certain segments of the Japanese are afraid that the Reich will attack them (a valid concern, IMO) soon.

And it was mentioned previously that they had outrun the Japanese in terms of technical advancement (I'm not sure if it was explicitly stated but I certainly get the feeling that only the Nazis have the Atom Bomb).

I'm not sure that I buy the line about Hitler declaring the Japanese as "Honorary Aryans" as I certainly feel that he would consider them inferior.
Perhaps he did it for political/diplomatic purposes.

Quote:
I forget which ep it happened it, but after the shooting, when I saw the Japanese guy committing suicide... I thought.. .ahh yes, ritual suicide. I'd heard of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku but didn't realize that someone also chops off the head.
Westerners historically (and a tad incorrectly) referred to it as "Hari Kari" but "Seppuku" is the preferred term.

The man with the sword is usually referred to as a second (which is what the Inspector was talking to the Sergent about).

The reason he's there is that it's fairly difficult for a man to completely cut open his abdomen as required by the custom so the second will usually decapitate when the first starts to falter (either out of pain, loss of motor control, self preservation kicking in, or cowardice).
This allows the first to save face.

There are stories of Samurai who have completed the ritual without the second acting or without a second at all and they get a certain amount of respect for doing so.

So, now that we've seen more of the Pacific States, I do wonder what happened to the American-Japanese who were interned by the US Government.
I would suspect that a large percentage are still in the Pacific States.

Are they considered "conquered Americans" or are they considered "Liberated Japanese"?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
It would seem that certain segments of the Japanese are afraid that the Reich will attack them (a valid concern, IMO) soon.

And it was mentioned previously that they had outrun the Japanese in terms of technical advancement (I'm not sure if it was explicitly stated but I certainly get the feeling that only the Nazis have the Atom Bomb).
It was mentioned early on (ep 1?) about Washington DC being nuked. So yes, it's seems likely that the Germans had and used the atomic bomb, since it doesn't seem like it could've come from the technologically inferior Japanese or one of the Axis powers setting off an American atomic bomb (assuming it was ready).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The reason he's there is that it's fairly difficult for a man to completely cut open his abdomen as required by the custom so the second will usually decapitate when the first starts to falter (either out of pain, loss of motor control, self preservation kicking in, or cowardice).
This allows the first to save face.

There are stories of Samurai who have completed the ritual without the second acting or without a second at all and they get a certain amount of respect for doing so.
Interesting.

Last edited by cwerdna; 12-13-2015 at 07:58 PM.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Discuss eps 5 and 6 here.

That's exactly what's happening. There are factions within the Nazi leadership that want to go to war with the Japanese to take over the rest of North America. There are factions within the Nazi leadership who want to avoid such a ware. The Japanese know that without the atomic bomb, they couldn't win such a war. Wegener and Tagomi are working to put Japan on equal footing with the Nazis in an effort to maintain peace and preserve the status quo.

The weird thing to me is the existence of the Neutral Zone. If the Nazis are so interested in taking over the rest of the continent, why do they allow this space in the mountains to remain ungoverned and lawless?

Old 12-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The weird thing to me is the existence of the Neutral Zone. If the Nazis are so interested in taking over the rest of the continent, why do they allow this space in the mountains to remain ungoverned and lawless?
I'd think the same reason it was the last area tamed in our history too. Few people. Wide open space. Either very hot or very cold. Or very rugged.

This is 1960s timeframe. Not a lot of tech yet. They take over the pacific states and then pincer in on the Rockies, etc.