TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
astrohip

You're The Worst: Season Two thread *spoilers*

You're The Worst season two premiere was last night. I haven't watched it yet, but wanted to get the thread started. YTW moved from FX to FXX this season. Wednesday nights.

*** Spoilers allowed up to any episode that has aired on FXX ***

This was one of my favorite new shows of 2014. Fresh & innovative sounds like a cliche, but it really was different than most all other sitcoms. And the co-stars really complement this show--Desmin Borges (Edgar) and Kether Donohue (Lindsay).

The concept was so different (two unlikeable people who can't avoid falling for each other) that I wonder how they will keep this season as much fun as the first. Looking forward to finding out!

Old 09-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Jonathan_S

I felt the first episode of season 2 was a misstep.

I'm hoping that's just a momentary hiccup and the writers get back to the awesome show it was before; but I just found myself uninterested in most of the episode

Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I liked the S2 premiere. The idea of Jimmy and Gretchen both being so terrified of being boring that they're torturing themselves to appear "fun" to each other is exactly on par with S1.

I also liked the possibility of Edgar and Lindsay getting together, although there's no way that will turn out well for either of them.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I felt the first episode of season 2 was a misstep.

I'm hoping that's just a momentary hiccup and the writers get back to the awesome show it was before; but I just found myself uninterested in most of the episode
Oh my -- I thought this episode was really funny.

cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Seriously: this was a great episode: extremely funny. It fell right in line with the first season (although I could not remember the ending to the first season--I remembered Lindsey and Paul's situation but not Jimmy and Gretchen's). I hope they can keep it up!

Old 09-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Seriously: this was a great episode: extremely funny. It fell right in line with the first season (although I could not remember the ending to the first season--I remembered Lindsey and Paul's situation but not Jimmy and Gretchen's). I hope they can keep it up!
Gretchen's apartment burned down and Jimmy kind of unthinkingly offered to let her move in with him. When she said yes, suddenly they both realized what that meant, but neither was really in a position to change anything.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I just finished binge watching the end of S01 so I could be current on S02, somewhere I'd just let YTW slip when I knew it was good and indeed the end of Season 1 was fantastic, and I loved how they set up the 2nd season not knowing if it would happen.

Just watched S02E01 and I have to say, it was good, very good, I love that they're letting them lie to each other but not get away with it, there's a wonderful amount of lying and truth that I haven't seen many other shows do, and the characters feel so much more like real people because of it, people and relationships are complicated and they're respecting that.

I'm thinking this season may be a watch on broadcast night deal for YTW for me.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

OH.. and they're doing a great subtle fake out if Gretchen is/isn't pregnant, any other show I'd say she is, but here it could easily be a fake out.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
OH.. and they're doing a great subtle fake out if Gretchen is/isn't pregnant, any other show I'd say she is, but here it could easily be a fake out.
I don't think so...she kept almost throwing up because she was hungover...the guy kept doing it as well. They were just tired and hungover to the point of throwing up, that's all.

Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I don't think so...she kept almost throwing up because she was hungover...the guy kept doing it as well. They were just tired and hungover to the point of throwing up, that's all.
I'm not so confident it's that cut and dry, in fact it's the perfect misdirect since it happened in the finale and the season premiere for Gretchen.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
ej42137

Quote:
I'm not so confident it's that cut and dry, in fact it's the perfect misdirect since it happened in the finale and the season premiere for Gretchen.
I don't know; making jokes about the dangers of anal sex is one thing, but fetal alcohol syndrome would take us somewhere not very funny.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #12
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
I don't know; making jokes about the dangers of anal sex is one thing, but fetal alcohol syndrome would take us somewhere not very funny.
Nor would be her terminating the pregnancy be "humorous" but this is one of the few shows I feel would have the ability to have that happen and not have it be out of line, so far I've been nothing but impressed with the showrunners ability to handle difficult topics.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I would be shocked if she were pregnant. Last season clearly was about two people who thought they were not "relationship" people coming to grips with actually being in a relationship. This season seems set up to be about those two people coming to grips with not only being in a relationship, but being in enough of one to make sense that they live together. One step at a time. Throwing a pregnancy/baby in there moves things forward way faster than is necessary for what the show is trying to do.

cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #14
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I would be shocked if she were pregnant. Last season clearly was about two people who thought they were not "relationship" people coming to grips with actually being in a relationship. This season seems set up to be about those two people coming to grips with not only being in a relationship, but being in enough of one to make sense that they live together. One step at a time. Throwing a pregnancy/baby in there moves things forward way faster than is necessary for what the show is trying to do.
With this show nothing says that she'd ever even tell Jimmy, I really do feel they could pull that off, they've shown a willingness to get pretty dark at times. I don't think they will, but I think with their track record they could and I wouldn't be shocked.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:31 AM   #15
ej42137

Quote:
Nor would be her terminating the pregnancy be "humorous" but this is one of the few shows I feel would have the ability to have that happen and not have it be out of line, so far I've been nothing but impressed with the showrunners ability to handle difficult topics.
Now you've caused me to think*; this reminded me of Sarah Silverman's abortion routine, which is both funny and cringe-worthy like the best of YTW. Time will tell if that's where they're going.

* I hate it when that happens.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #16
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You're The Worst season two premiere was last night. I haven't watched it yet, but wanted to get the thread started. YTW moved from FX to FXX this season. Wednesday nights.
Crap. Missed this move. Anything else move networks?

Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #17
astrohip

Wow, what an episode. That was an A+ 30 minutes. "There is Not Currently a Problem" managed to make me laugh, a lot, at the same time it really exposed the emotional problem that has been driving Gretchen (clinical depression). That diatribe she went on where she tore everyone apart... amazing. Aya Cash just nailed that.

Rocket Ship to Heaven. RIP buddy.

This was probably the best episode ever, and certainly tops for this season so far.

Anyone else watching?

Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #18
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

what are we? new Yorkers?

I love this show! I wish I can place where I've seen the new Rando before...too lazy to find her name and IMDB her!

Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #19
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Wow, what an episode. That was an A+ 30 minutes. "There is Not Currently a Problem" managed to make me laugh, a lot, at the same time it really exposed the emotional problem that has been driving Gretchen (clinical depression). That diatribe she went on where she tore everyone apart... amazing. Aya Cash just nailed that.

Rocket Ship to Heaven. RIP buddy.

This was probably the best episode ever, and certainly tops for this season so far.

Anyone else watching?
Yes, this weeks was superb! How they finally let us know what was going on with Gretchen and more importantly how she discussed it in depth with Lindsey and you instantly knew why they are best friends, I cried when she commented on being broken since I can say "been there, done that". Equally as impressive but not as moving was her finally telling Jimmy what was going on and that she didn't want him to think he had to fix her.

With one episode this show totally knocked it out of the park..

Old 10-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #20
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
what are we? new Yorkers?

I love this show! I wish I can place where I've seen the new Rando before...too lazy to find her name and IMDB her!
Collette Wolfe?

She was in Cougar Town as the college girl Travis fell in love with a roomed with for a time. I think they had them engaged for a bit. Then I also saw her in the short lived comedy Your Family or Mine, starring Kyle Howard and Kat Foster.

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #21
astrohip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Collette Wolfe?

She was in Cougar Town as the college girl Travis fell in love with a roomed with for a time. I think they had them engaged for a bit. Then I also saw her in the short lived comedy Your Family or Mine, starring Kyle Howard and Kat Foster.
Your Family or Mine was a cute comedy. "Short lived". Was it cancelled?

BTW, she is much better in this. In YFoM, she played a dumb blonde bimbo. Really dumb. She's pretty good in this. Love how she takes notes on everything. And it's nice to see Edgar have a kinda normal-ish relationship. Sorta kinda.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
astrohip

Quote:
Your Family or Mine was a cute comedy. "Short lived". Was it cancelled?
Yes. Just now reading a blurb about "Clipped" being cancelled, and it mentioned that TBS also quietly nixed YFoM. TBS has a new boss who wants "edgier fare". All the cutesy sitcoms are being whacked.

Both of these would have done well with the old TVLand demo. But of course they are going edgier too.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #23
Bob Coxner

Apologies for touting a somewhat competitor but there are fantastic episode recaps of YtW on AV Club. This episode got a solid A from 144 viewers.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/best-ep...athon-a-227264

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #24
astrohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Apologies for touting a somewhat competitor but there are fantastic episode recaps of YtW on AV Club. This episode got a solid A from 144 viewers.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/best-ep...athon-a-227264
No apology needed (IMHO). I check in with AV Club daily, they have great episode recaps. And like the bumper stickers say, "I Vote". The discussion/comments is a little too scattershot for me--1/3 insightful, 1/3 "dittos", and 1/3 has nothing to do with TV. You think BBT threads go off-topic, try AVC. But the recaps are usually spot-on.

I love TCF for the discussion, and AVC for the recaps and analysis.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #25
rahnbo

Ugh that move to FXX caused me to miss ep 2-8...glad they are posted on the FX website. Just binge what I had missed and definitely has been a great season. I don't think I've seen a show be this funny and sad at the same time but it works. Rocket Ship to Heaven must have been the funniest darn thing I've seen in a long time.

rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #26
astrohip

What an episode. His family is...well, Lindsay said it best. "They're like Alabama English people."

"Well I have got a tattoo of Dobby the House Elf down here..."

"You got your own Paki"

"Look, Jimmy. I know Iíve never really been that good at, you know..."
"Staying sober past lunch? Not being racist? Gastrointestinal control?"
"Talking."

Old 11-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #27
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'm very impressed with where they're taking Gretchen, having battled depression in my life I really feel for her and I know where she is as far as headspace right now.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #28
ej42137

Quote:
I'm very impressed with where they're taking Gretchen, having battled depression in my life I really feel for her and I know where she is as far as headspace right now.
Yeah, this show got pretty real all of the sudden.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #29
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Wow I love this show. So much funny, and so much ... not funny. Great mix.

The Alabama line was far and away the best line of the night. My wife was relieved they didn't use West Virginia (being a native).

Old 11-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #30
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Wow I love this show. So much funny, and so much ... not funny. Great mix.

The Alabama line was far and away the best line of the night. My wife was relieved they didn't use West Virginia (being a native).
I loved the sister just sitting and watching the veggie sprayers..