TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
sdavie3
sdavie3

Question Gray Freezing Screen on Series 3 HD (TCD652160)

I have two Series 3 HD (TCD652160) models running on Verizon Fios multi-source M-cards, with upgraded drives (1-TB). Both had been running fine for the past few years, but the older of the two of them (almost 5 yrs old) began to freeze unpredictably a few months ago, during live programming and consequently when recording as well - resulting in incomplete recordings. For the past three weeks all I now get is a gray screen all the time - no channels/live TV, no access to recordings, nothing. Also the yellow LED lights 480i, 480p, 1080i no longer illuminate.

Some prior posts have suggested either a faulty cable card or a dead hard drive.

I have restarted a coupled of time with no success in resolving the problem.

I believe the hard drive is a WD caviar Black, but am not 100% certain on that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
sdavie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

See the sticky at the top of the forum for more.

Upgraded drive? First step is to put in the old drive to see if it still has issues. If it does, the its most likely the power supply, which can develop capacitor problems over time.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
sdavie3
sdavie3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
See the sticky at the top of the forum for more.

Upgraded drive? First step is to put in the old drive to see if it still has issues. If it does, the its most likely the power supply, which can develop capacitor problems over time.
I'll check for capacitor issues (burnout) and if everything looks okay, replace the HD with the original drive. If that still doesn't work, any suggestions then?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

It's not "burnout" you need to check on the capacitors -- it's bulging, even slight bulging, as shown in this photo:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894
Preferably also check the power supply voltages if possible, using a multimeter. Further details available here if you choose to do this.

Are you using an expander drive? Most likely failure item, but reseat and/or replace the eSata cable first.

Most problems are the PS or a HDD, although a few cases of bad cooling fan have occurred. Check the internal temperature in the System Info menu. Should be 45C or less although supposedly up to 50C is OK.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
sdavie3
sdavie3

Thanks for all your input. I checked the capacitors and they looked fine. Then I replaced the 1TB HDD with the original HDD and the system is up and running again, although I'm getting a message from Tivo that I need to activate the system again, in addition to activating the cable card (Fios). Hopefully I can do so with little disruption.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavie3 View Post
Thanks for all your input. I checked the capacitors and they looked fine. Then I replaced the 1TB HDD with the original HDD and the system is up and running again, although I'm getting a message from Tivo that I need to activate the system again, in addition to activating the cable card (Fios). Hopefully I can do so with little disruption.
Was that 1TB a Caviar Black?

Nice drives, but they get toasty, and should probably have an extra fan added.

For replacement, start looking for a 2TB WD20EURS on sale for around $100.

Best GB/$, 3 year warranty, relatively cool and quiet, made to do A/V 24/7.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote