TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

The Bridge "Destino" 8/21/2013 S1E7

Another excellent episode. This has become must-watch TV for me. Fast moving, taut, and as much as I don't want to admit it, Kruger is nailing her role. I still think she's miscast, mainly because of her looks, but she absolutely plays the part to perfection.

I wasn't thrilled they went to the old trope of "just as someone is going to reveal incredible info, they get shot", but I got over it quickly, as the following scenes were amazing.

For the first time, I found the scenes on the ranch (Charlotte & Ray) interesting. Ray brings a new dynamic to that plot that Charlotte alone couldn't. But seriously Charlotte, you ask a guy during sex a question, you think he's gonna give you a straight answer. Oh, and Graciela's price to play--very interesting.

If I'm the tailor to a cartel head, I'm sure as hell not gonna comment on his weight gain. Es stupido.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I wasn't thrilled they went to the old trope of "just as someone is going to reveal incredible info, they get shot", but I got over it quickly, as the following scenes were amazing.
Of course, we don't know if he was really going to reveal incredible info, or just another harebrained theory.

That's what I was wondering when he was building up to it..."I wonder what sheer idiocy is going to flow from his mouth this time?" Little did I know it would be his brains.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Police couldn't find any link between the bad guy and any of the dead people.
When asked why he didn't run, the bad guy replied, "The job isn't finished".

I'm going to put this out there, he was hired by a 3rd party with ties to the dead judge, Graciela, the cartel head dude, Linder, Marco and maybe even Sonya.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

It is an excellent show that has kept me guessing.

Not that I'm a prude, but I can't help noticing that this show is really pushing the envelope for what they can show on cable TV, isn't it?

In just this episode, we saw a guy being commanded to perform a certain sex act, a headshot (and its aftermath) that surpasses some of the more gruesome R-rated movies, a woman's point-of-view shot as she's getting done over a desk, and then we hear her say to _____ inside her.

Viewer discretion is advised.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

The ugly Zebra shoes out the window just cracked me up, what a great show.
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
Not that I'm a prude, but I can't help noticing that this show is really pushing the envelope for what they can show on cable TV, isn't it?
Well, it is FX. They've always pushed the envelope, more HBO than FOX.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Yeah, as Rob noted, FX tends to live on the bleeding edge of basic cable. Wait until FXX gets here. Then of course, we'll have FXXX, which will be 24/7 po... never mind.

I've noticed many stations getting more risque. I watch Sullivan & Son, which airs on TBS, one of the most basic of basic cable channels. Lately they use curse words left & right, which you NEVER used to hear on that type of channel.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, it is FX. They've always pushed the envelope, more HBO than FOX.
Comedy Central also has pushed the envelope pretty hard. South Park and Reno 911! are the ones that come to mind.

I always remember the first time I heard the N-word used casually in a comedy series. It was Reno 911! Trudy Wiegel said something like "I used to have a doll collection but some N-word kid stole it".

Wiegel used it several times in other episodes, as well as other characters. Here's a direct quote:

Deputy Williams: [Williams is telling the DA who has been using the N-word] "Dangle, Junior, Wiegel... even Garcia. And you know who surprised me the most? Dangle! I mean, he a fag! And he calling everybody a N-word!" That's a two-fer when it comes to homophobic/racist swearing.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

We love this show!

I wasn't happy when Marco hooked up with Charlotte (why dude, why?), and am doubly upset with his wife and her little $%^&buddy. But aside from that we really enjoy it.

Creepy dude is creepy.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
jasrub

The first show I ever watched that I said that to, was Nip/Tuck.

Quote:

jasrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Dropped after week 5 but plan to revisit once the season ends, so I'm glad people are still enjoying. I just couldn't take Sonya anymore.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odds Bodkins View Post
Dropped after week 5 but plan to revisit once the season ends, so I'm glad people are still enjoying. I just couldn't take Sonya anymore.
I had the same initial thoughts. She seemed miscast. But give her a try; she is nailing her role, miscast or not. She's got that look down perfect. That "something is a little off with this person" focus to her eyes.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I think she's perfectly-cast. As do you, if you think she's nailing the role.

Unless you think pretty people can't be mentally ill.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
The ugly Zebra shoes out the window just cracked me up, what a great show.
Yeah, that was great directing!

I'm enjoying the show, although I have to admit that this gettin-old brain is having more and more trouble with so many shows that have really large casts. I often have to watch episodes twice. d'oh!

ITA that the addition of Ray to things was a good move. So creepy, yet totally unexpected and great - the whole thing with how he has to pay Graciela. So creepy because SHE is so creepy. I kept thinking - hmmm, would I do that for this creepy person to get what I want? Well, I'm not a guy so it was impossible to get into that train of thought, i.e. trying to think like HE would.

The main cop (blonde girl with the mental impairment) - I'm not understanding that enough, I think. I should probably look it up. Agree that she plays it well.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I had the same initial thoughts. She seemed miscast. But give her a try; she is nailing her role, miscast or not. She's got that look down perfect. That "something is a little off with this person" focus to her eyes.
I agree she's nailing it but I've reached my limit with these kind of characters... Carrie on Homeland is all I can do at present. Personal preference because she is a tremendous actress.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #16
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

The main cop (blonde girl with the mental impairment) - I'm not understanding that enough, I think. I should probably look it up. Agree that she plays it well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Short version: mild autism

She's a female Big Bang Sheldon.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote