TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
BradJW

Under the Dome - S01E01 - 6/24/13

Just finished watching it. I thought it was great summer fare! Looking forward to more of this.

So what did they know a year ago? Anxious to find out.
BradJW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

As someone who enjoyed the book I've got to say that I pretty much hated the changes they made to the characters. Especially

Spoiler:
Barbie is not a killer avoiding the law

and

Spoiler:
The Sheriff was not a co-conspirator in Big Jim's enterprise

and

Spoiler:
Rusty was a major character who was not caught outside the dome

and

Spoiler:
Julia Shumway was not married and her non-existant husband was not a doctor

I just finished the book a few weeks ago and it is kind of hard for me to wrap my mind around all of the changes.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
caslu

I enjoyed it quite a bit... changes from the book did not really bother me, at least not yet.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
danterner
Not it!

It was better than I expected it to be - I really enjoyed it. The cast is an eclectic collection of character actors from Favorite Shows Past, including LOST, Breaking Bad, True Blood, Secret Circle, and Bates Motel. It was an hour of "where do I know that person from, again?" (Well, except Dean Norris - I'd recognize him anywhere).

As a reader of the book, I really got a kick out of

(Major series-ending spoiler)

Spoiler:
The very first scene (a baby bird hatching out of an egg, with the much larger mama bird next to it). Basically a metaphor for the whole story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 06-25-2013 at 05:56 AM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

As I watched this I was botherd by the fact that not one person suggested trying to dig a tunnel beneath it. Maybe it's a mile deep, but no one knows that. That it wasn't tried, or the subject even brought up, makes me not want to waste my time with this show.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
As I watched this I was botherd by the fact that not one person suggested trying to dig a tunnel beneath it. Maybe it's a mile deep, but no one knows that. That it wasn't tried, or the subject even brought up, makes me not want to waste my time with this show.
There's, like, more than one episode. Even the book didn't have everyone trying every imaginable thing to check out the dome within the first chapter after the dome came into being.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
TonyD79

Simpsons did it.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post

There's, like, more than one episode. Even the book didn't have everyone trying every imaginable thing to check out the dome within the first chapter after the dome came into being.
Really? That's like the first thought that comes to mind. May not work. May be a sphere. May go for miles and miles but still the first thought.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
The wife and I liked it. She's a ginormous Stephen King fan and has probably read everything he's written 100 times each, so she was thrilled to see this. Since I haven't read the book, I don't have any preconceived notions/biases; in fact, I haven't watched previews or anything (including for next week). I'm just going to let it unfold as it will.

Brad
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

It would have been really awesome if the name of the city was Kandor.

The Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Azlen

The ratings would have been good for a regular season show. There were 13 million viewers with a 3.2 dem rating. This proves that you can get good ratings for a summer show if you put something on that people want to watch.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The ratings would have been good for a regular season show. There were 13 million viewers with a 3.2 dem rating. This proves that you can get good ratings for a summer show if you put something on that people want to watch.
Although they probably wouldn't have gotten those ratings in the fall, when the other networks would have had competition...
Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Although they probably wouldn't have gotten those ratings in the fall, when the other networks would have had competition...
Depends on the time slot. Tuesday in the 10/9 slot probably would have had similar ratings as that time slot is pretty weak.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I liked it.

It's been *years* since I've read the book (which I really liked), but even so I noticed they made a lot of changes regarding the main characters. But since they hope to stretch this far beyond the boundaries of the book, I don't really mind.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Dale Barbara (Barbie) is supposed to be the moral compass of the story.

Personally, I was disappointed in the changes to his character.

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
trainman
Nice to see you

Not sure how it works in Maine, but in Pennsylvania, the town law enforcement wouldn't be a sheriff's department -- that's something that's only at the county level.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Not sure how it works in Maine, but in Pennsylvania, the town law enforcement wouldn't be a sheriff's department -- that's something that's only at the county level.
Well I'm not going to watch it now then
Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spud View Post
It would have been really awesome if the name of the city was Kandor.
Where is the "like" button?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
TonyD79

Quote:
According to mainesheriffs.org:

Quote:
The sheriffs in the State of Maine serve as the chief law enforcement officer in each county. It is the only elected law enforcement officer in the state of Maine, allowing citizens to elect their Sheriff every four years. The sheriffs represent one of the purest forms of democracy; directly answering to the citizens of their counties.
But, hey, it is a fictional show where a great big almost-invisible dome has been plunked down around a town, so...
Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Same here in Illinois...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
JYoung
Series 3

I thought the pilot was really good.
Of course, I'll watch Rachelle Lefevre in almost anything (but not Twilight) but it's certainly an interesting premise so I'll keep watching.

How much involvement does King have in this?

I know he gets an EP credit and check but a news story I saw last night implied that he actively worked on turning this into a series.

Also, I couldn't figure out where they filmed the pilot.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #22
Hit The Ball

Quote:
There is no police department in Cupertino.
The city hires the County Sheriff's department to do what the police would normally do - there is a substation and permanent appointed deputies.

HTB
Hit The Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #23
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I thought the pilot was really good.

Also, I couldn't figure out where they filmed the pilot.
Series was filmed in Wilmington, NC. Not sure if the pilot was filmed in a different location or not.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
cheesesteak
Meh.

Didn't read the book. Not that it matters, but I've never read a single Stephen King book.

I liked the pilot. Well, everything but psycho teen. I guess I'll just have to cringe and bear it every time that he and that silly subplot shows up in the future episodes. How old is he supposed to be? The actor looks like he's pushing 30.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
Azlen

It looks like the plot is going to deviate from the book.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3363596.html

If you've read the book, you're probably assuming that you have a good idea about how the story ultimately concludes, but Vaughan admitted that they had no interest in recreating the novel's plot verbatim.

"[The book] takes place over a relatively short amount of time, but when we first started talking with Stephen, he said, 'when I came up with this idea, I envisioned a town potentially being trapped for years at a time, and that's something that you guys could get to do that I didn't.' And that might necessitate a different ending," he said. "So we pitched Stephen a far-out, big swing idea for it -- if we're lucky enough for this to go several years -- a different ending, and he was really excited by it and so generous, to say 'I wish I'd thought of that, that's killer.' He's been so supportive, and I think he knows that the book is its own thing and it would be boring to translate the book exactly to the screen -- he wants to see something new that hopefully still has the theme and the heart of the book in it."

Baer agreed, "We're on Day 10 now, so we've already passed where the book goes and we think that this can go much beyond a week's worth of time, because we're just beginning to explore all of the ramifications of being caught under a dome ... how the citizens of Chester's Mill deal with it on a personal basis and on a sustainability basis."
Old 06-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Translated: "We're going to milk it for as many episodes as we can, and when we get canceled, we hope to have enough time to figure out how to end it."

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #27
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I'll be interested to see how they extend it out that far, since in the book

Spoiler:
oxygen under the dome was getting used but not replenished, and pollution from the generators and cars was collecting at the top of the dome.

scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Dale Barbara (Barbie) is supposed to be the moral compass of the story.

Personally, I was disappointed in the changes to his character.
Apparently you and I were the only ones disappointed. That opening scene of him burying the body and avoiding the police just seems WRONG!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #29
Beryl

I'm into this show for now. I've read or listened to a lot of King novels but not this one.

Stalker teen grated my nerves from the first scene so I hope they do away with him quickly.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I'll be interested to see how they extend it out that far, since in the book

* SPOILER *
So. King watched the Simpsons Movie.