TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Falling Skies - "The Pickett Line" - 7/14/13

Huh. It's always the quite ones that you never expect.

I guess we're gonna need a new President now.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I did like her method for assassinating him. I didn't catch on until she picked up the gun. So it looks like she must have had some doing in where the President was placed. And they obviously left out some stuff (preparing the scene) since no one knew he was even alive and yet she had the plans in place when she did it.

And was the guy in the mountain house the guy that played the Swede in Hell On Wheels?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
And was the guy in the mountain house the guy that played the Swede in Hell On Wheels?
Yep.

He gets around, although he's not always recognizable (he was both Jack the Ripper and Bigfoot on Sanctuary, and Todd the Wraith on Stargate: Atlantis). I was surprised to learn he's Canadian...he always seems to have an accent in his roles.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
AlphaDelta

How is it that the concrete didn't fall on Lourdes after she fired?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
How is it that the concrete didn't fall on Lourdes after she fired?
Either it all simply disintegrated or it all went up through the hole and fell around the hole above! Sounds legit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I recognized Christopher Heyerdahl first as Halling, (and later as Todd), from SA Rising. But apparently, he has had quite the career dating back to 21 Jump Street. He is a chameleon.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

So maybe I missed something. Did we have ANY inkling that Lourdes was the mole? I can't even recall a time when she might have been exposed to the little eye bugs she's got. Did she pick that up from Hal?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
So maybe I missed something. Did we have ANY inkling that Lourdes was the mole? I can't even recall a time when she might have been exposed to the little eye bugs she's got. Did she pick that up from Hal?
I may have missed it too, cuz I was totally taken aback when she calmly went downstairs, whipped out her space gun and blew up Commander Decker.

But, I suspect that's what the writers wanted: a surprising revelation.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
In the s02e02, the eye bug that was removed from Professor Mason crawled all over her (on top of her clothes and in her hair) after is escaped from the jar they had it "contained" in, but it flew away after that without doing anything obvious to her. Unless those things can replicate in some way, I'm not sure that scene had any connection to this. It's just the only time on screen we've seen her in contact with one (or really in any situation where she was in that type of danger—at least, that I can remember).

Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

It's crazy stupid. They can't test for the thing, so they have to operate on the assumption that anyone can have one inside them. But they don't!
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
It's crazy stupid. They can't test for the thing, so they have to operate on the assumption that anyone can have one inside them. But they don't!
Yeah. That is a bit absurd. I was thinking that when I was watching this episode and they were discovering there was still a mole. It's like they didn't even consider it could be one of them in the room. Heck, it could be ALL of them. They don't have any idea.

Not being able to test for it is a huge problem, and an odd one too. It's a pretty sizable little critter. It should show up on some kind of scan. The Volm should certainly have a detection method, but it appears they don't. Their whole "it'll kill the bug or kill the host" technique for removal is of little help unless you are darn sure someone has one in 'em.

Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
They should just kill everyone. It's the only way to be sure.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I know you guys are always talking about stupid writing. I'm beginning to think that this season on this show, that's the case. Stuff coming out of the blue with no explanation seems the norm for this show now. First we get Tom as President and then the alliance with an alien group, both without much explanation as to how that developed. Then we get Lourdes being the other mole, with no idea how that might have happened. I get surprises like that are fun....but at least clue us in a LITTLE. It give the viewer the feeling that they just picked her name out of a hat and said, ok, YOU'RE the mole. It could have been anyone.

This show is quickly heading into "watching but not paying much attention" area for me. Shame, because I thought the first season was excellent and the second was good too. I kinda liked where this season was headed, but the way they are laying it out bugs me.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

well, if going from pre-med to full-fledged doctor in less than a year hasn't upset you...

Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
well, if going from pre-med to full-fledged doctor in less than a year hasn't upset you...

hahaha, well, I can kind of accept that because outta necessity she had to take on that role (but yes....it's a bit far fetched!)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
tivogurl

Hal Mason only had 1 bug, Lourdes has dozens. Quite a difference. Bugging her rather than the VP was a smart move. As others have noted, I too wonder where the heck she got infected.

Shooting the President was tactically unsound, though. He was a mostly useless figurehead, of little additional value to the resistance. I think the aliens are projecting their own top-down structure onto humans. It would have been far more useful to kill one of the military commanders.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
tivogurl

Quote:
They don't have the time or the resources to give her a full residency. There are surely large gaps in her knowledge. I think calling her "doctor" is an honorific more than anything else. If she starts doing surgeries, then it's time to complain.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I think I have a theory on how Lourdes was "bugged". I think it was Cochise. I think the Colonel alluded to it when he was talking to Pope about not trusting this "alliance" (more reason why they need to explain more fully why they made the alliance in the the first place). First of all, they are building this device that nobody really knows what it's going to do. Cochise seems less than forthcoming with information about it. Second, there seems to be doubts among some of the humans as to his intentions. Pope seems to be picking up on that. Now, all of a sudden Tom's "wife/gf....can't remember if they got married or not" disappear and Tom goes to rescue, and while he does, The Pres shows up, with Cochise and it murdered. I think Cochise is behind all the bad stuff going on there.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
AlphaDelta

Did they hire the Battlestar Galactica writers? "Wouldn't it be cool if Lourdes was a cylon mole!"
Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
tivogurl

Quote:
The Pres shows up, with Cochise and is murdered.
That makes no sense. If Cochise is part of the invasion, it would be much simpler to kill the President and return without him. "I couldn't save him" would be a very believable lie. As a bonus, it protects the mole.

Last edited by tivogurl : 07-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
That makes no sense. If Cochise is part of the invasion, it would be much simpler to kill the President and return without him. "I couldn't save him" would be a very believable lie. As a bonus, it protects the mole.
Well, a lot of this season makes no sense, does it? Maybe Cochise thought the President could be used, then realized maybe he can't be, so he had him killed. Or, perhaps he wanted to pin it on someone else to get the humans fighting with each other.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'm still trying to figure out how Charleston's tech guy could figure out the power consumption needs and output of the Vohm weapon from a couple of black and white photos.

Half the time I wonder why somebody doesn't put a bullet between Pope's eyes.

Tom was an honorable idiot in this episode. The kid was the smartest one from both families. He shouldn't have just shot the main bad guy's brother, he should have shot all of them except the girl. She was cute.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
Cainebj

Quote:
So maybe I missed something. Did we have ANY inkling that Lourdes was the mole?
This was so far out of left field it made me think they are making it up as they go along.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Even my 7-year old was incredulous when the kid shot the uncle and the uncle looked at him and said "what did you do?!".

This is a 7-year old, and he even said "saved my brother from getting killed by your knife! what kind of question is THAT?"

I was so proud!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It's the hottest new show on television!

"Are You A Better Writer Than A 7-Year-Old"!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #26
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I gave up watching this halfway thru S1....resumed watching S2....now giving up again....there's just so much lousy teevee on this summer...thank goodness for Magic City.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #27
DouglasPHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
Did they hire the Battlestar Galactica writers? "Wouldn't it be cool if Lourdes was a cylon mole!"
Or an Angel?
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote