TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #61
Cainebj

"Shoes First!" 8/29/13

what? no comments?

well that was like alternate-Project Runway.

Braedon and Jeremy in the bottom and sassy gay guy with chip on his shoulder in the top 3.

not that i disagree - - -

all i kept thinking was that if Braedon was sent home Tim Gunn wouldn't have been happy he used his save last week.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #62
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Okay, I agreed with who was sent home. "where's the eggnog" Right on!!!

I was not really happy about the winner. I mean, geesh, a well made black dress. I didn't like the jacket thingie at all. But then I guess that's why I am not a fashion designer. I guess they saw things about it that I didn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #63
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I keep hearing that this is one of the most talented groups of designers in the history of the show, but I'm not feeling it after this episode. And I say this as someone who can never find shoes, so I'm used to buying the shoes first and then building the outfit to go with them.

On the other hand, can you blame the designers for coming up with boring designs, when the challenges have been so badly done? Isn't this the second "take some accessory and let it inspire your design" challenge they've done this season?

We had a group of people who pulled black shoes and did black designs. We had another group who pulled colored shoes and then slavishly copied the colors or other design elements from the shoes.

Then we had Kate -- who pulled an insanely interesting pair of shoes -- and showed them with a boring design that hid the shoes!

Looking at the photos on the website again, I would give Justin the nod for the best overall look. His design is strong enough to stand by itself with plainer shoes, but because it is all in black, it lets the shoes take the spotlight. But what do I know?

I didn't like Alexandria's dress at all. Sloppy shoes, sloppy dress. I get the whole soft vs. hard concept, but the execution was horrendo. I had her in the bottom three.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #64
LordXenophon
Technomage

It made me sick to watch the judges raving about an outfit that looked like brown rags and prosthetic legs. I bet you know which one I mean. Are the judges blind? They keep declaring the worst outfit to be the winner.
LordXenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #65
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Having a Field Day OAD 9/5/13

Oooh...Ken was scuuuuuuuurreed.........I guess they kept him because he is good tee-vee....geez-is he bi-polar too?

Helen's jacket was super-cool-good for her-is this the first time someone with immunity has won the next challenge?

Nice to see Michael Kors back-loved it when he got all giggly with Nina-ahh, fond memories!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #66
Cainebj

I don't find psycho bullies very enjoyable TV.
I was very happy when Helen went looking for the producers to shut him down.
I would not have been as forgiving. Hug it out? I don't think so.

LOVE Michael Kors.

The challenge?
Not so much - too much promo for Heidi's NB line.
I guess active wear is viable as a design challenge - - - but still pretty boring.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #67
jradosh
Newlywed

Heidi was looking really good out on that sports field. So much better without all the "high fashion" makeup and attire.

Tim Gund... not so much in the zebra stripes.

I liked both jackets that were in the top, but was surprised which one won. But I've already confirmed to myself that I know zippo about fashion.

Finally they went to the runway show without announcing for the 100th time that "this is an anonymous show" and "Tim Gund is observing".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #68
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Gunn.
Tim Gunn.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #69
jradosh
Newlywed

He's NOT a teddy bear???

Check out
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #70
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
He's NOT a teddy bear???
YES, HE IS!

But yes, it is Tim GUNN! And we love him!

I do think the reason Helen won is because Nina went COO COO BANANAS for her look. Nina doesn't do that often. Also, did you hear the judges' comments when they were looking at the clothes after the judging? Something to the effect of how cost-effective it could be to make, etc...like it or not, fashion is about $$ too!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #71
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have been so disappointed with this season. I keep watching yes, but it still is frustrating when I don't like who wins and don't care who loses.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #72
LordXenophon
Technomage

I tend to care who loses, because the best is usually on the firing line.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #73
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

I {heart} Tim Gunn

Tim Gunn on Larry King (free Hulu)
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #74
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Care to elaborate for those of us who have lousy bandwidth? What parts of the interview were especially heart-worthy for you?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #75
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

"Next Generation" OAD 9/26/13

Ah, the print challenge.

I'm beginning to see why it is that I go to the store and see tons of prints that I don't like. Apparently a lot of designers don't work with prints, and people who design prints do so without thinking of how the prints might fall on the body once the garment is made up.

What was he thinking? Alexander. The print was interesting as artwork, but then he made it up into a garment. OMG.

What was he thinking? Justin. Dude, why on earth would you revisit a design that you got eliminated on before, and why, in the challenge designed to show off your print, do you use so little of it?

What was she thinking? Oh, yeah, Kate, when I think of computer code, I think of gored skirts with a bunch of floopy ruffly bits sticking out. Not. And you know the design and styling is bad when it makes the model look pudgy.

What was she thinking? Alexandria manages to turn out revolting looks each week, and skim by, simply because her fellow designers are shooting themselves in the foot so hard.

How many times do I have to watch the same look go down the runway? Some crappy little jacket that looks like I sewed it, some shapeless white top, and some abomination of a skirt. I'm starting to think "hey, I could do better than that". And you don't want that, really you don't.

My husband says "send them all home" every week, and after this week's runway show, I just want to send the bottom four home and send Dom, Braden, and Helen to Fashion Week, and be done with this stupid season.

Really disappointed that Kate shot herself in the foot. Like, with a bazooka.

And Lifetime is running ads for the next season of Project Runway All-Stars. I wish they'd leave more of a gap in between the two shows. I had cablecard problems and I missed several seasons of PR. I have the DVD sets, but I haven't had time to watch them because I don't want to be watching two different seasons at the same time.

I suppose the next season of All-Stars should get talked about in a new thread, but if anyone wants to peek, the cast list, judges, and mentor are discussed in this article from The Hollywood Reporter.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #76
jradosh
Newlywed

I thought Alexandria's look was so clearly the worst. Looked like a homeless person wrapped rags around their body.

Check out
Old 09-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #77
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

There was not one single solitary design that I liked even a little bit.
If it wasn't for Tim I'd have bailed on this season long ago.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #78
Cainebj

I didn't agree with Kate's elimination over Alexandria and Justin.

The look was bad but not worse than those 2.

I had her pegged for top 4.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #79
Jayjoans

Can I just say that in almost every episode I laugh the first time Tim is shown? Some of the combinations he comes up with are just hideous. No lie, if you saw a guy wearing a plaid shirt, polka dotted bow tie and a striped wool blazer you'd probably throw a quarter in his cup. Because it's Tim Gunn, it's high fashion.

The "Emporer has no clothes" has come to life. Lucky Tim is so likable.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #80
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I didn't agree with Kate's elimination over Alexandria and Justin.

The look was bad but not worse than those 2.

I had her pegged for top 4.
I was thinking all three should have gone.

I do think Alexandria's was the worst. Couldn't believe when she was "safe" first. That was a mess.

For Kate, the pattern really had nothing to do with the theme and it was lost much more than even Justin's was.

I was expecting them to take Justin's and cut the bottom half of it off.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #81
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
Can I just say that in almost every episode I laugh the first time Tim is shown?
I see what you did there.

Check out
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #82
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
There was not one single solitary design that I liked even a little bit.
If it wasn't for Tim I'd have bailed on this season long ago.
I can't blame you. The number of times I've thought "I wish I had the right body type to wear that look" has been painfully low this season.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #83
tem

Kate's whole "binary code" think made no sense. What she should have done is some sort of design that looked solid from a distance but up close it was all ones and zeroes.

I'm bummed she blew it. She was in the top 6 weeks w/ one win and had never been in the bottom. I thought she, Helen, Dom and Brandon were locks for fashion week. Now, either Alexandria (3 top 3,1 win, 3 botom) or Justin (1 top, 3 bottom, saved) might make it.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #84
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

If there has ever been an argument to have a smaller contingent at Fashion Week, this season is it.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #85
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
10/3 Avant garde challenge

Once again, I didn't understand how Alexandria work was any good. It looked like the same old hot mess it always is. Black, torn up and ugly. I did like her remake though.

Loved everyone else's stuff and would have been tough to decide. The orange dress was something like what we had seen before but it was different for that designer I think. Branden and Justin's I really liked...both the avant garde and the remakes.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #86
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Loved the idea of re-working the "losing" looks. They all looked great-and I will admit I teared up when Justin took his own look back. Good for him! It looked great!

Helen seems to freak out then pull it together-maybe she's not cut out for the stress of high fashion...

Alexandria-UGH-that was a costume!

Justin-he has steadily improved throughout the competition, and I agree with the judges, the avant-garde look was his best yet!

Very proud of Braden and Dom, they were early picks for me and I am super psyched to see what they come up with ...

Next week will be interesting!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #87
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Once again, I didn't understand how Alexandria work was any good. It looked like the same old hot mess it always is. Black, torn up and ugly. I did like her remake though.
There was an episode of Say Yes to the Dress (the wedding-dress shopping show on TLC) a while ago where one of the brides brought a gay best friend who didn't like lace. She would come out onto the runway showing off a dress and the guy would say "It's lace." in this "oh it's nasty" tone of voice. It sort of became an earworm with me -- when I see lace dresses I don't like, I say "ugh, it's lace" just the same way.

Alexandria's work this season is pushing me very hard towards seeing black stuff and thinking "it's black" in that same inner voice. I have a lot of black in my wardrobe (some because I like it, but a lot of the time, through necessity, because the other color choices won't work for me), but I'm getting really sick of Alexandra doing nothing else. I don't know why the judges haven't called her on it, the same way they did about Ven doing his rose over and over. It's a cheap trick to hide the messiness of your design and construction (fortunately with the new segment where the judges get a closer look after the runway, the show has closed that loophole).

Quote:
Loved everyone else's stuff and would have been tough to decide. The orange dress was something like what we had seen before but it was different for that designer I think. Branden and Justin's I really liked...both the avant garde and the remakes.
So what do we think about Tim strong-arming Helen into ditching her black cape / cocoon? I wonder what the judges would have thought if her model had worn it on the pass down the runway, then shed it for at the end, and showed off the orange dress on the way back? I understand Tim's concern, but it was the avant-garde challenge!

I would have liked to have seen the garment in motion.

I also liked the challenge to re-make the losing looks. One problem I had with Helen's garment is that it was simply a remake of shapes which she has already shown us multiple times over the course of the season.

Contrast that with Bradon's remake, which stayed true to the lines of the original designer's work.

Good for Justin, for showing that he can take a note. He finally got the chance to show the judges he can turn out a cute shorter dress.

I agree with Regina (and with the judges). Bradon and Dom were early standouts, so it's no surprise they were put through to Fashion week. I was expecting the #3 slot to be a contest between Kate and Helen.

Nina was not the only one to pick up on the fact that no one else picked Alexandria for the "person I'd like to go to Fashion Week" with. And I don't think it was for a "vote the strongest person off the island" reason, either.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #88
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
So what do we think about Tim strong-arming Helen into ditching her black cape / cocoon?
well i understand his WTF moment with it but you are right - she ditched her avant garde look when she probably shouldn't have.

i think the 3 of them battling out for it seemed about right.

i still think Kate should have been in the top 3 with Dom and Braden. in fact, when all those losing designs were shown i thought for a moment they were all coming back to compete for a spot and immediately thought Kate would get it and now i get it - only... that didn't happen.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #89
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think it should have been Kate not Alexandria in the battle for top 3.

murgatroyd, I get what you are saying about black dresses, but that's not what I feel Alexandria is turning out. She is putting out not JUST a black dress but at least twice now it has been a black dress with shredded edges and sort of just hanging on to the form, not seeming to fit and yet the judges go all crazy about it.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #90
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
murgatroyd, I get what you are saying about black dresses, but that's not what I feel Alexandria is turning out. She is putting out not JUST a black dress but at least twice now it has been a black dress with shredded edges and sort of just hanging on to the form, not seeming to fit and yet the judges go all crazy about it.
I didn't link to all the photos from the Project Runway site, but you can see all the designers' Rate The Runway photos, starting here:

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/proj...episode-1#id=1

Alexandra has sent a LOT of neutrals down the runway. She's also done a lot of really messy looks.

We don't have access to the judges' numbers, but we can look at the fan votes.

The ratings legend: 1 = Poor, 2 = Okay, 3 = Good 4 = Great, 5 = Awesome.

The lame garment descriptions are mine.
  1. close-fitting dress, blue with black details and cutouts / Overall Rating: 2.58 (Total votes: 8758)
  2. messy black V-neck gown / Overall Rating: 3.09 (Total votes: 7671)
  3. (team with Dom) blue Japanese character dress /
    Overall Rating: 3.76 (Total votes: 6102)
  4. sloppy cream halter top and sloppy skirt w/asymetrical hem (tie accents on halter top) / Overall Rating: 2.63 (Total votes: 5903)
  5. V-neck top from silver placemats and black skirt /
    Overall Rating: 2.05 (Total votes: 4883)
  6. grey jacket and cream droopy diaper pants / Overall Rating: 2.6 (Total votes: 5623)
  7. gladiator sandals and black rag dress / Overall Rating: 3.14 (Total votes: 5076)
  8. (sportswear challenge) black funnel-neck jacket and knee-length shorts/leggings / Overall Rating: 1.48
    (Total votes: 4187)
  9. blue/burgundy/black plaid? dress with asymetric hemline and lopsided hybrid square-V-neck bodice / Overall Rating: 1.65 (Total votes: 5515)
  10. interview look sloppy black jacket, white top, short skirt w/ dark print / Overall Rating: 1.91 (Total votes: 4148)
  11. messy white top, black raggy short top, neutral-print skirt with raggy black trim (the "homeless person wrapped in a newspaper" skirt) / Overall Rating: 1.24
    (Total votes: 4986)
  12. look 1 -- black butterfly dress / Overall Rating: 2.32
    (Total votes: 2208); look 2 -- rework of Sue's plaid pants -- plaid pants, dark top, white vest painted with black /
    Overall Rating: 2.12 (Total votes: 2115)

Out of 13 looks, three of them are rated 3 or higher, and one of those was a team challenge with Dom. The rest are in the 1s and 2s. If we translated that to school letter grades, her work is rarely above a D+.

Contrast the fan votes for Justin's looks:
  1. Overall Rating: 3.2 (Total votes: 8285)
  2. Overall Rating: 3.41 (Total votes: 7416)
  3. [team: Justin & Alexander] Overall Rating: 1.51
    (Total votes: 6077)
  4. Overall Rating: 2.46 (Total votes: 5608
  5. Overall Rating: 2.26 (Total votes: 4702)
  6. Overall Rating: 2.24 (Total votes: 5273) [elimination / Tim Gunn's save]
  7. Overall Rating: 3.11 (Total votes: 4898)
  8. Overall Rating: 2.96 (Total votes: 3869)
  9. Overall Rating: 3.12 (Total votes: 5123)
  10. Overall Rating: 3.99 (Total votes: 4099) [real person challenge / signature dress]
  11. Overall Rating: 2.69 (Total votes: 4646)
  12. butterfly dress: Overall Rating: 3.65 (Total votes: 2012) / rework of elimination dress Overall Rating: 3.65
    (Total votes: 2012)