Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #151
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
This hasn't even come close to some of the worst blackouts (some of these were regional).

AMC and Dish was over 3 months.
Tribune and Cablevision was two months.
Northwest Broadcasting and Directv was 9 weeks.
Cordillera Communications and Time Warner was over 5 months.
Comcast Sportsnet and Directv has been 5 months and is still ongoing.
Dish and all of the NY sports networks have been pretty much for years.

DirecTV and Comcast over the old Vs. sports network (now NBCSN) lasted most of a full hockey season.

It may be one of the longest between a cable provider and a big 4 network O&O. If I'm TWC, and this heads into football season, I'm offering free OTA antennas to all my customers who want one.

I have a hard time "choosing sides" in these disputes. I know if the shoe was reversed and a TW channel and a CBS owned cable company, we'd see the same thing. I've seen that happen more than once. I always cite the Cablevision and MSG fights before CV owned them. And then after CV bought them, they had the same exact fight with TW over the channels that they fought AGAINST when MSG was NOT owned by them.

Ultimately, the consumer loses as we pay for this. And btw, the consumer ultimately pays for the advertising by both sides to fight against this!!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #152
mlsnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Try a Mohu Leaf. You could easily hang it behind a poster or other artwork on the wall, or behind an entertainment center, or possibly even just attached to the back of the TV itself.
This looks great! Only problem is when I list my address in NYC the list of channels it thinks I should get doesn't include CBS. But the map for the Ultimate model covers a lot of the metro area, and I would think CBS would have some tower within that pretty large region.
mlsnyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #153
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsnyc View Post
This looks great! Only problem is when I list my address in NYC the list of channels it thinks I should get doesn't include CBS. But the map for the Ultimate model covers a lot of the metro area, and I would think CBS would have some tower within that pretty large region.
Any address that's in NYC (literally the five boroughs) should be within 35 miles of the transmitter for WCBS-TV, which, like most everyone else, is at the top of the Empire State Building.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #154
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Any address that's in NYC (literally the five boroughs) should be within 35 miles of the transmitter for WCBS-TV, which, like most everyone else, is at the top of the Empire State Building.
Off topic but curious. Anyone know if there are plans to move the antennas to the Freedom Tower when it's complete? It will be taller than the ESB (well I think it's already taller). The antennas used to be on one of the WTC buildings.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #155
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Off topic but curious. Anyone know if there are plans to move the antennas to the Freedom Tower when it's complete? It will be taller than the ESB (well I think it's already taller). The antennas used to be on one of the WTC buildings.
I haven't read anything but I would think the existence of the Freedom Tower would screw up reception of TV signals from ESB. Which, if true, would mean they'd have to move.

FM radio transmitters have always been on ESB even pre 9/11 and will probably stay there.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #156
mlsnyc

Quote:
That's what I figured. Curious why their list wouldn't show it. But whatever the case I think both the base and ultimate indoor models are priced reasonably enough for me to check this out. May also eventually shove aside the inertia on my part that keeps me tethered to cable.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #157
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
As for Aereo, if you have a VPN provider you can use Aereo even if you don't live in one of the 3 cities they serve. Just connect to a server in one of the cities and register. The first month is free.
I thought I read that the the credit card billing address has to be in their viewing area. Or have you found otherwise?

Also, what kinds of speeds have you gotten with Witopia (or whatever you currently use)?

-Mike
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #158
Martyp
Just a Daddyman

I am one of the few that I wish directv would let me drop the sports channels.

They are spouse to be included free with my package but was getting charged a 3.00 a month fee.

They gave me a credit for the next year to cover it, but would,love ala cart pricing I could get the channels I want and even if it did not lower my bill all that much I would still love it

Wii# 0758-6570-3047-9720

mario kart # 3995-7234-1216

wii#2 #1185-0084-6830-3495
Martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #159
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
I thought I read that the the credit card billing address has to be in their viewing area. Or have you found otherwise?

Also, what kinds of speeds have you gotten with Witopia (or whatever you currently use)?

-Mike
You could get a prepaid credit card to avoid any billing address questions. Or, it's a bit more work but you can also add a second address to your credit card billing profile. You could use a fake NYC address. Also, you get the first month free with Aereo.

Oddly enough, I was just testing my speeds a few minutes ago using http://www.speedtest.net/. I have the 20mbps package from TWC. I had Witopia use their Quick Connect feature, which automatically connects you to the nearest and best server. In my case that's about 100 miles away in Austin, Texas. My speed was almost identical without the VPN and with it. 22mbps down and 2.25mbps up. Pings were both around 50.

I then tested using a server in New York City. 20mbps down and 2.1mpbs up. So, there was about a 10% drop in speed using the NYC server but you would obviously never notice it at these speeds. Ping 50.

I then connected to a server in London, the one I use when I want to watch the BBC. 14.5mb down, 2.1mb up. Still excellent speed, although the ping was pretty high at 215. My Pandora music did stop, with a notice that they're only permitted to stream to the US. :-)

As always, YMMV.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #160
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/16/bu...er=rss&emc=rss

So if CBS is not on TWC at the start of the NFL season, could advertisers on those games demand a rebate? TWC I believe is still the major Cable provider in Manhattan (not sure about the other boroughs). That would be a significant chunk of viewers in the most lucrative market. If that happens, that could prod CBS to lower their demands.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #161
aindik

CBS doesn't have any local teams in the three affected markets until week 2. Week 1, the Jets are on Fox, the Giants and Cowboys are on NBC (and L.A.'s team is blacked out. ).

Week 2 CBS has the Giants. That's the big one.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #162
aindik

Seems to me like it's Time Warner, not CBS, telling you that you can grab an antenna and watch CBS.

CBS doesn't want you to use an antenna. They want you to subscribe to a carrier that will pay them.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #163
robojerk

CBS wants to charge providers to carry their content, along side selling ad space on their shows.

TWC wants to make exclusive deals with CBS (and presumably other networks) to retain their geographical monopolies and does not want to have to compete with Intel/Sony/Hulu/Netlflix/Amazon/Redbox to complete with TV package.

What I think would be best for consumers if CBS just signed deals with the streaming providers to weaken the Cable Co's death grip on content, and CBS lowered (or dropped) their retransmissions fee nonsense.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #164
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
You could get a prepaid credit card to avoid any billing address questions. Or, it's a bit more work but you can also add a second address to your credit card billing profile. You could use a fake NYC address. Also, you get the first month free with Aereo.
A prepaid card wouldn't trigger an address request? Or will it automatically validate no matter what address you put on it.? I've never used a prepaid card before, so I don't know how that works (and actually was wondering what address to use if I ever did that)

Thanks
-Mike
Old 08-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #165
aindik

TWC is telling people in Dallas that they can watch the Cowboys next preseason game on the local Telemundo affiliate.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #166
lpwcomp

Quote:
TWC is telling people in Dallas that they can watch the Cowboys next preseason game on the local Telemundo affiliate.
"fieldgoooooaaaaallllll"

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #167
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
That's what they did here in Milwaukee for the most recent pre-season game; they recommended watching Telemundo for the video, and muting it and listening to the play-by-play over the radio.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #168
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #169
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
"fieldgoooooaaaaallllll"
More like "Intercepcion Roooooooooooooommmooooooooooooooooooo!"

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #170
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
More like "Intercepcion Romooooooooooooooooooooooo"
LMFAO!!

It might be fun to listen to them talk about Romo en Espanől. Might learn some new put downs.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #171
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
A prepaid card wouldn't trigger an address request? Or will it automatically validate no matter what address you put on it.? I've never used a prepaid card before, so I don't know how that works (and actually was wondering what address to use if I ever did that)

Thanks
-Mike
I don't use them myself so I'm not sure about the address part. Visa gift cards don't have an address associated with them, so there would be no address to check. However, I don't know if Aereo would accept those.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/p..._card_faq.html

Walmart also sells prepaid cards that can be reloaded. Those do have an address associated but I'm pretty sure you could give any address you like when buying it.

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #172
Edmund
Remote Czar

In the next 6 days I will miss 5 Dodger games because they're on KCAL CH 9. The Dodger's have been fun to watch lately, I can't live without my fix.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #173
ewolfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyp View Post
I am one of the few that I wish directv would let me drop the sports channels.

They are spouse to be included free with my package but was getting charged a 3.00 a month fee.
We've been paying a surcharge since last year on our Directv bill. Its nice that they gave you a credit for them since according to this: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec...harge-20121210

the main option for a subscriber that doesn't want to pay is to switch to a lower priced package that doesn't include the sports channels.
ewolfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #174
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
We've been paying a surcharge since last year on our Directv bill. Its nice that they gave you a credit for them since according to this: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec...harge-20121210

the main option for a subscriber that doesn't want to pay is to switch to a lower priced package that doesn't include the sports channels.
It also says that "it is only for new DirecTV subscribers". Then again it says "DirecTV has also tested this approach with some current subscribers as well" whatever the heck that means.

They have done this exactly like the cell phone companies did with their stupid "administrative fees". That way they can claim that it isn't a rate increase.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #175
ewolfr

Or if the promotional rate has expired and a subscriber is subject to whatever the prevailing rate is at that time. There are lots of ways they could apply the fee, just like with the administrative fees you mention. That article is also from back in December. Some things may have changed in how they apply the extra fee these days. But if anything they are probably spreading it to more people.
ewolfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #176
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It also says that "it is only for new DirecTV subscribers". Then again it says "DirecTV has also tested this approach with some current subscribers as well" whatever the heck that means.
That article is from last December and is out of date -- the regional sports network fee is now being charged to both new and old subscribers in the parts of the country that it affects.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #177
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
I don't use them myself so I'm not sure about the address part. Visa gift cards don't have an address associated with them, so there would be no address to check. However, I don't know if Aereo would accept those.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/p..._card_faq.html

Walmart also sells prepaid cards that can be reloaded. Those do have an address associated but I'm pretty sure you could give any address you like when buying it.

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/walmart
I'll check that out. Thanks.

-Mike
Old 08-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #178
mlsnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsnyc View Post
That's what I figured. Curious why their list wouldn't show it. But whatever the case I think both the base and ultimate indoor models are priced reasonably enough for me to check this out. May also eventually shove aside the inertia on my part that keeps me tethered to cable.
Finally got the Leaf delivered from Amazon. All the big networks *except* CBS come in great -- crystal clear and no interference. Oddly enough to get the best reception for CBS, which in my case means less frequent freezes and pixelation that doesn't interrupt the program, is when the Leaf is tucked away in the back of the entertainment center with all the wires, not when it's close to the window or high up on the wall. Go figure.

By the way, TWC offering discounts for antennas...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3806103.html
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #179
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I get a chucke out of this tweet from Louis C. K. every time I think about it.

Quote:
Hi. I'm on letterman tonight. I can't watch it because I have Time Warner. Also how are you? Did you fall down recently? I hope not.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #180
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Time Warner and CBS have reached an agreement! The terms of the deal have not been made public at this time. Got Time Warner? Check to see if CBS is back on. Showtime subscribers may want to see missed episodes of Dexter via On Demand. There was no episode of Dexter over the Labor Day weekend.