Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #121
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Is this legal? It seems like it shouldn't be. I hope the government steps in at some point.
I'm not sure there's any law requiring CBS to serve up online video on its website to any specific customers.

It is a stupid move, because it makes people like me - in markets not at all affected by the sniping between CBS and TWC - mad at CBS. And there are PLENTY of TWC RoadRunner HSI subscribers who do not get the video service.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #122
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
I'm not sure there's any law requiring CBS to serve up online video on its website to any specific customers.

It is a stupid move, because it makes people like me - in markets not at all affected by the sniping between CBS and TWC - mad at CBS. And there are PLENTY of TWC RoadRunner HSI subscribers who do not get the video service.
Is it CBS that's blocking their online content from TWC subscribers, or is it TWC who is blocking their subscribers from CBS content. I thought it was the latter.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #123
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Is it CBS that's blocking their online content from TWC subscribers, or is it TWC who is blocking their subscribers from CBS content. I thought it was the latter.
The block at CBS.com is coming directly from CBS - I even posted a screengrab of what CBS serves up to TWC Internet subscribers earlier in this thread.

It is presumably meant to get TWC customers who are trying to get around the dispute upset at their cable company.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #124
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Right. TWC actually suggested that people just go get the stuff on-line. Of course, that's not gonna work now for TWC cable customers that are also TWC Internet customers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #125
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Is this legal? It seems like it shouldn't be. I hope the government steps in at some point.
Probably not but it is a very anti-consumer d-bag move and if Net neutrality ever moves forward acts like this should be included.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #126
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Right. TWC actually suggested that people just go get the stuff on-line. Of course, that's not gonna work now for TWC cable customers that are also TWC Internet customers.
Something here about CBS cutting off its nose to spite its face...the block also affects TWC cable customers, like myself, where the TWC system has no dispute with the CBS affiliate's owner.

And, TWC Internet customers, even in the CBS O&O markets, who do not subscribe to TWC's video service.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #127
Edmund
Remote Czar

Suddenly Cozi tv and Antenna tv showed up. I don't know if its due to the cbs and twc conflict or not?
Edmund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #128
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Suddenly Cozi tv and Antenna tv showed up. I don't know if its due to the cbs and twc conflict or not?
What TV market (area)?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #129
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
What TV market (area)?
I think Edmund is getting the So Cal market so I don't think it's related.

Cozi has been showing OTA on a subchannel of the NBC O&A for a while now.
Antenna TV is OTA on a subchannel of the CW affiliate (KTLA).

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #130
Edmund
Remote Czar

Yes, I'm in the San Fernando valley of LA county, I have locals with my internet package from TWC. Suddenly yesterday ch 4.2 cozi tv, and 5.2 antenna tv were on. So its coincidence they showed up now.
Edmund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #131
mlsnyc

How long did past disputes took to resolve? I've only been with Time Warner for less than 2 years so this is my first blackout ever. It seems like it's taking a long time to get settled but maybe this is par for the course. I'm not looking for speculation on what could possibly be happening behind closed doors or opinions on which side is more at fault. It's not that I don't care because I do. It's just that in this case what I'm looking for is some historical context to see how this fight compares to previous ones.

EDIT: Apparently I have sat through one of these from early last year when MSG was blacked out in the middle of Linsanity here in NYC. That one lasted less than a week so this one is going on for much longer. Do people recall others that came before it and how long they took?

Last edited by mlsnyc : 08-13-2013 at 07:58 PM.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #132
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsnyc View Post
How long past disputes took to resolve? I've only been with Time Warner for less than 2 years so this is my first blackout ever. It seems like it's taking a long time to get settled but maybe this is par for the course. I'm not looking for speculation on what could possibly be happening behind closed doors or opinions on which side is more at fault. It's not that I don't care because I do. It's just that in this case what I'm looking for is some historical context to see how this fight compares to previous ones.
It seems to me here in Columbus, OH with Time Warner Cable they often have disagreements with various providers when it comes time to re-negotiate contracts. Sinclair Broadcast Group comes to mind, the Big 10 Channel etc... Usually they come to an agreement at the last minute and programming isn't usually cut off. Sometimes as with HDNET and HDNET movies they can't come to an agreement and they drop the channel (and replace it with pure crap like MAVTV). I think the issue with CBS/Showtime etc... with the channels actually being dropped from my TiVo guide are probably the most significant (mainly because I am a Showtime subscriber) that I have seen (or at least noticed).

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #133
aindik

CBS has Giants-Broncos in week 2 (September 15). If New Yorkers can't watch the Giants all hell will break loose. So, it should be resolved by then.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #134
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
CBS has Giants-Broncos in week 2 (September 15). If New Yorkers can't watch the Giants all hell will break loose. So, it should be resolved by then.
I wouldn't be surprised if CBS allowed TWC in New York to air the Giants game even if WCBS (e.g.) is otherwise unavailable - a few years ago, when ABC cut off a cable company in the San Francisco area from its local ABC station, they allowed two shows to air; a 49ers Monday Night Football game, and the Oscars.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #135
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if CBS allowed TWC in New York to air the Giants game even if WCBS (e.g.) is otherwise unavailable
I would. This dispute (along with the Journal Broadcasting one that is also going on right now) is already far, far nastier than any of the previous ones that I recall. I can't see *any* concessions being given. In fact, I can see something like that being held over the head of Time Warner Cable to get them to give in.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #136
mlsnyc

So seems like besides feeling this is going on longer than usual I'm also not alone in getting the sense this one is nastier than the ones before it.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #137
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
So seems like besides feeling this is going on longer than usual I'm also not alone in getting the sense this one is nastier than the ones before it.
Yeah. I knew it was getting serious when my TiVo reported that the Showtime and other CBS owned channels were being dropped from the guide data.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #138
robojerk

I think no matter what happens we (consumers) will lose here.
TWC has put a spotlight on the retransmission fee issue, which obviously consumers shouldn't be a fan of. If TWC has to pay more money to rebroadcast shows it will obviously make cable TV more expensive..

The other issue which I think TWC is more focused on is blocking CBS from allowing Netflix, Sony, Intel and the like from streaming content. I believe this is the bigger issue in TWC's point of view. Young people watch less TV, and when they do they're fine with watching it on a laptop or PC. Add devices such as Roku, Google/AppleTV, the upcoming devices from Intel/Sony. TWC sees a trend they do no like.

I think if TWC got what they wanted and at least for a time had CBS unable to put their shows on those other providers they would easily accept the retransmission fee hike (and push the costs down to us), knowing that their customers in their monopolized areas would be unable to drop TWC for Comcast or something and also unable to watch CBS shows on other mediums..
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #139
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Fortunately they can't keep me from receiving it via free-space RF.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #140
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Fortunately they can't keep me from receiving it via free-space RF.
If you've been watching the Aero articles, CBS and FOX have threatened to leave OTA all together. I'm also looking for an article I read a while ago where the FCC said they want to pay the TV networks to drop their airpsace so they can sell it to the wireless providers. The current TV airspace would make wireless a lot better.. I'll edit this post once I find it.

The Cable Co's would be happy, and the networks would be happy if OTA was dead.
Edit:
This is the closest thing I could find on the networks dropping OTA and get money from FCC.

TimeWarner Cable vs Intel
Quote:
Comcast, just happens to be legally prohibited from making deals that would block streaming services.

Last edited by robojerk : 08-14-2013 at 04:23 PM.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #141
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
If you've been watching the Aero articles, CBS and FOX have threatened to leave OTA all together. I'm also looking for an article I read a while ago where the FCC said they want to pay the TV networks to drop their airpsace so they can sell it to the wireless providers. The current TV airspace would make wireless a lot better.. I'll edit this post once I find it.

The "networks" might be happy, but there are a lot more than just the networks who have TV broadcasting licenses.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #142
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I'm also looking for an article I read a while ago where the FCC said they want to pay the TV networks to drop their airpsace so they can sell it to the wireless providers. The current TV airspace would make wireless a lot better.. I'll edit this post once I find it.

Edit:
This is the closest thing I could find on the networks dropping OTA and get money from FCC.

TimeWarner Cable vs Intel
The airspace that the FCC is talking about is the former frequencies that were devoted to the analog stations. Quite frankly if Fox and CBS decided to drop their OTA broadcast is should be an automatic forfeiture of those frequencies with no compensation by the government.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #143
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
The airspace that the FCC is talking about is the former frequencies that were devoted to the analog stations. Quite frankly if Fox and CBS decided to drop their OTA broadcast is should be an automatic forfeiture of those frequencies with no compensation by the government.
The networks aren't the ones holding the broadcast licenses. it is the broadcast stations, most of which are not owned by a network and not all of which are even affiliated with a network.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #144
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

If this drags into football season, I am gonna need to figure out if I can setup some sort of indoor antenna. Though I don't quite know where I would put it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #145
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
The analog stations and the digital stations are all in the same set of frequencies, except for channels 52-69 which the FCC already took back as part of the digital transition, and auctioned off in 2009.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #146
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
If this drags into football season, I am gonna need to figure out if I can setup some sort of indoor antenna. Though I don't quite know where I would put it.
Try a Mohu Leaf. You could easily hang it behind a poster or other artwork on the wall, or behind an entertainment center, or possibly even just attached to the back of the TV itself.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #147
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Try a Mohu Leaf. You could easily hang it behind a poster or other artwork on the wall, or behind an entertainment center, or possibly even just attached to the back of the TV itself.
wow.. That's awesome. If it comes to it, I'll seriously give it consideration.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #148
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
This hasn't even come close to some of the worst blackouts (some of these were regional).

AMC and Dish was over 3 months.
Tribune and Cablevision was two months.
Northwest Broadcasting and Directv was 9 weeks.
Cordillera Communications and Time Warner was over 5 months.
Comcast Sportsnet and Directv has been 5 months and is still ongoing.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #149
aindik

Comcast SportsNet Philly and DirecTV has lasted for decades.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #150
Inundated
Face For Radio

Raycom Media (local affiliate owner) and Dish was about 10 days.