TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #91
busyba
The Funcooker

This is actually working out really well for me. CBS is gone, but it's in reruns so it's not like there's anything I'd be watching on that channel anyway. And as a courtesy, TWC enabled the Starz package for me, so now I've got access to a whole bunch of movies that I wouldn't have ordinarily been able to get.

While I hope this gets resolved before the fall TV premieres start, I hope it doesn't get resolved until the end of the week.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #92
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Wouldn't the affiliate be in breach of its contract with CBS if it did something like this?
Did something like what? It's the CBS owned affiliates that have demanded an increase in their "retransmission fees" and I'm saying that TWC should carry the stations anyway and fight it out in court.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #93
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Did something like what? It's the CBS owned affiliates that have demanded an increase in their "retransmission fees" and I'm saying that TWC should carry the stations anyway and fight it out in court.
What you, or somebody, said is they should bring in a non CBS owned affiliate from a different market, and/or that the FCC rule prohibiting that is what's standing in the way of that.

If the non-CBS owned affiliate in Billings, Montana offered a cable company the right to retransmit its signal to the cable company's customers in California, I think CBS would sue them, because, I can only assume, there's something in the contract between CBS and the affiliate prohibiting it. And/or there's an acknowledgement that the affiliate's distribution of CBS programming outside of some defined geographic area is copyright infringement.

Now, if this was a different dispute, where Time Warner was having a dispute with a non owned affiliate, and CBS itself said here, take WCBS New York instead, you might have a different issue. Or you might not. There might be two way covenants like that in the affiliation agreement.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #94
lpwcomp

Quote:
What you, or somebody, said is they should bring in a non CBS owned affiliate from a different market, and/or that the FCC rule prohibiting that is what's standing in the way of that.
It wasn't me that said it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #95
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It wasn't me that said it.
Looks like I quoted the wrong post. My apologies. This was the post I should have quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
If the government would drop its antiquated rule bought and paid for by the NAB that prohibits cable and satellite providers from importing network channels from outside the "significantly viewed OTA range", this would all go away. The cable company would just find the cheapest affiliate willing to sell them the CBS programming, from whatever state, and carry it. Then the local channels would cry and beg the cable and satellite companies to carry their signals. Blame the government for this anti-competitive rule.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #96
mr.unnatural

I get both Washington and Baltimore local network affiliates on FIOS, but I choose to record and watch them via OTA antenna. FWIW, my local CBS affiliate is owned by CBS (formerly Westinghouse).
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #97
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
This is actually working out really well for me. CBS is gone, but it's in reruns so it's not like there's anything I'd be watching on that channel anyway. And as a courtesy, TWC enabled the Starz package for me, so now I've got access to a whole bunch of movies that I wouldn't have ordinarily been able to get.

While I hope this gets resolved before the fall TV premieres start, I hope it doesn't get resolved until the end of the week.
There is a series on cbs showing first run shows now, Unforgettable on Sundays.
Edmund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #98
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
Well that's messed up. Wonder how it'll affect SP's when they come back?
hmm.. good question. I should check on mine.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #99
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post

Did they give it to you in HD? I get it in zoomed in SD.

My season passes are there. Channel number is right. But the channel "name" is wrong. I suspect when they add them back in, all will be well.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #100
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
That's weird.

I have it in HD. They're the exact same channels that I would be using if I actually subscribed to them.

I also have the SD versions, on different channel numbers.

Are you sure you're dialed into the correct channel number?

Old 08-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #101
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

My Starz HD is HD
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #102
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Why not go through Tor? Wouldn't Tor hide the fact to CBS that you have TW as internet provider?
I ain't that 'leet.

I'm still trying to figure out how to burn .tivo files to DVD, and haven't gotten as far as knowing whether to use +R or -R blanks.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #103
Davelnlr_

Quote:
If the non-CBS owned affiliate in Billings, Montana offered a cable company the right to retransmit its signal to the cable company's customers in California, I think CBS would sue them, because, I can only assume, there's something in the contract between CBS and the affiliate prohibiting it.
There might be now, but when I first got into C band, you could subscribe to a set of network channels from either New York, Denver, or Los Angeles. I enjoyed it, because I could come home late, and still catch all the shows on the west coast feed. Then the rules were changed, making it illegal to sell out of market signals if a local signal was available. It was the FCC that changed the rule. I have no clue as to the current contract contents for the smaller local affiliates.

I do know you can watch all the networks in HD, with a C band dish, for free right now. They are all unscrambled somewhere up there, if someone were desperate to get them and had the space for a 10' dish.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #104
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Here in Columbus Ohio we lost Showtime as well although our local CBS affiliate is still on the air on Time Warner Cable.

Yesterday I got a message from my TiVO that it deleted a number of what appears to be CBS owned channels including

Smithsonian Channel
All the Showtime channels (SHO, SHO2, SHOCSHD, SHOXHD etc...)
Various TMC Channels
FLIX, NEXT , WOMEN, FAMZ etc...

I know CBS is having a spat with Time Warner Cable, but isn't it strange that the channels would be dropped this soon from the TiVo guide?

Also they gave us STARZ HD (really HD) here in Columbus.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV

Last edited by George Cifranci : 08-07-2013 at 05:20 AM.
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #105
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post
isn't it strange that the channels would be dropped from the TiVo guide?
i thought it was strange also but then again - the TiVo guide relies on programming data from your cable company so - i guess not THAT strange.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #106
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Does anyone know if our season passes will come back if and when they restore those channels??

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #107
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Here in Columbus Ohio we lost Showtime as well although our local CBS affiliate is still on the air on Time Warner Cable.

Yesterday I got a message from my TiVO that it deleted a number of what appears to be CBS owned channels including

Smithsonian Channel
All the Showtime channels (SHO, SHO2, SHOCSHD, SHOXHD etc...)
Various TMC Channels
FLIX, NEXT , WOMEN, FAMZ etc...

I know CBS is having a spat with Time Warner Cable, but isn't it strange that the channels would be dropped this soon from the TiVo guide?

Also they gave us STARZ HD (really HD) here in Columbus.
we got the same deal in Cleveland - still have CBS, but no Showtime. Grrr...
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #108
brianric

Quote:
Does anyone know if our season passes will come back if and when they restore those channels??
yes
brianric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #109
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
My season passes are still intact. They seem to be attached to the channel number.

Looking at the SP Manager, the SP that once looked like:

Two Broke Girls (702 WCBSHD)

now looks like

Two Broke Girls (702 TWC)

I imagine the opposite transformation will take place when the channels come back.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #110
sieglinde

Smithsonian? Wow, even if you never watch CBS this has impact. Comcast doesn't seem to get into these spats
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #111
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
There might be now, but when I first got into C band, you could subscribe to a set of network channels from either New York, Denver, or Los Angeles. I enjoyed it, because I could come home late, and still catch all the shows on the west coast feed. Then the rules were changed, making it illegal to sell out of market signals if a local signal was available. It was the FCC that changed the rule. I have no clue as to the current contract contents for the smaller local affiliates.

I do know you can watch all the networks in HD, with a C band dish, for free right now. They are all unscrambled somewhere up there, if someone were desperate to get them and had the space for a 10' dish.
In NY and LA the network owns the affiliate stations. Not sure about Denver. That's different from some rogue affiliate making his signal available nationally.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #112
aindik

If I wasn't receiving a channel I'd want my TiVo guide to reflect that ASAP.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #113
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I'm also in DFW. There is an SD Starz Kids & Family at 375 to replace CBS, and an HD version up in the 800 range to replace Showtime. What's weird is that the two channels are showing different content.

Maybe you only receive the HD Starz block in the 800s if you subscribed to Showtime?
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #114
robojerk

After watching this drama, I really hope the next version of Tivo has an OTA tuner (or at least as an accessory)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #115
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

What good is it to get Starz channels if you already subscribe to Starz? Do those people get a refund?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #116
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
What good is it to get Starz channels if you already subscribe to Starz? Do those people get a refund?
I think the Starz thing was described by TWC as a "courtesy", not compensation.

I believe that they are also giving a refund on the Showtime subscription (and whatever other premium channels have been blacked out), although that doesn't apply to me since my building gets Showtime for free as part of the bulk deal.

I'm not sure if there's a refund forthcoming based on the CBS outage. If there even is, I can't imagine it would be much, considering the total number of channels you get for the amount you pay for just for the level of service that includes CBS.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #117
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
we got the same deal in Cleveland - still have CBS, but no Showtime. Grrr...
This is a dispute with the CBS owned-and-operated stations, not the network itself.

In Columbus, the CBS affiliate is WBNS/10, which is owned by Dispatch Broadcast Group.

Here in Cleveland, the CBS affiliate is WOIO/19, which is owned by Raycom Media.

Thus, they're still on TWC in both cases. Showtime is gone because it's 100% owned by CBS nationwide (no affiliates, because it's a cable network).

"CBS 19", in a separate dispute between Raycom and Dish Network, is off Dish Network. But that doesn't affect WOIO on TWC.

As noted earlier, CBS.com video is blocked for all TWC Internet customers, even those in markets like Cleveland and Columbus, where the TWC video feed is unaffected.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #118
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

As noted earlier, CBS.com video is blocked for all TWC Internet customers, even those in markets like Cleveland and Columbus, where the TWC video feed is unaffected.
Is this legal? It seems like it shouldn't be. I hope the government steps in at some point.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #119
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Smithsonian? Wow, even if you never watch CBS this has impact. Comcast doesn't seem to get into these spats
Everyone gets into them. You just don't notice them unless they get to the point where channels get dropped.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #120
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I'm also in DFW. There is an SD Starz Kids & Family at 375 to replace CBS, and an HD version up in the 800 range to replace Showtime. What's weird is that the two channels are showing different content.

Maybe you only receive the HD Starz block in the 800s if you subscribed to Showtime?
This must be, since I don't subscribe to any premium channels.