Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #61
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
In retaliation for TWC blocking CBS, CBS has fired back by blocking any one who has a TWC internet connection from streaming anything on CBS.com.
Confirmed here in Northeast Ohio, where CBS.com streaming no longer works on Time Warner Internet service.

We're not one of the affected TV markets. Our CBS affiliate is owned by Raycom, and is on TWC's video service with no problem. (They have a dispute that has them off Dish Network, but that's another story entirely.)

tv.com (CBS video app) on my Android phone doesn't stream anything with TWC-fed WiFi, but does on the phone's 4G connection with WiFi off.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #62
Edmund
Remote Czar

I thought cbs was back, until I realized they were showing starz kids/family in its spot.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #63
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
I thought cbs was back, until I realized they were showing starz kids/family in its spot.
They are doing this in Dallas too. Of course, it's not HD. It's SD that's been zoomed in.

Gee, thanks Time Warner. Eff you.

And you to CBS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #64
javabird

I'm not personally affected since I have Comcast, but this still really upsets me, and I hope it doesn't become a trend. Why should this bickering cause the subscribers to suffer a loss of service? I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't this be considered a breach of contract? (i.e, subscribers have a contractual agreement for which they are receiving a service.)
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #65
unitron

Apparently those of us who wound up with Earthlink when our local mom and pop got bought out and can only get it over cable via TWC are also screwed watching anything from CBS online even though we can still get the local CBS broadcast affiliate (not a CBS O&O) via cable, so I hope nothing pre-empts their soaps before this gets straightened out or I'm going to have to explain to my mom why she can't catch it online either.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #66
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Apparently those of us who wound up with Earthlink when our local mom and pop got bought out and can only get it over cable via TWC are also screwed watching anything from CBS online even though we can still get the local CBS broadcast affiliate (not a CBS O&O) via cable, so I hope nothing pre-empts their soaps before this gets straightened out or I'm going to have to explain to my mom why she can't catch it online either.
Why not go through Tor? Wouldn't Tor hide the fact to CBS that you have TW as internet provider?
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #67
Inundated
Face For Radio

Here's what I get with TWC Internet service:

TWC cable service here, too, but I'm nowhere near any of the affected CBS O&O markets. Our affiliate (Raycom's WOIO/19) is just fine with TWC cable, carriage wise.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #68
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

The local affiliate has been forced to start running ads telling people that the Time Warner-CBS conflict doesn't affect them, all because of CBS's ham-handed propaganda that doesn't distinguish O&O stations from affiliates.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #69
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Why not go through Tor? Wouldn't Tor hide the fact to CBS that you have TW as internet provider?
I successfully used the Tor browser (self-contained) to hide my TWC origins. But it said it needed Flash Player installed.

The Tor browser looks like a different version of Firefox, but I don't know if just running Vidalia and Firefox (the installed version I have) would work, or if more configuration would be needed.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #70
Edmund
Remote Czar

With the local CH9 blocked, you think the espn telecast of the Dodgers Monday will be available to those effected?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #71
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Just one more reason to dump cable. This isn't going to stop happening. What other industry throws their customers to the wolves and actively pushes their customers to get involved in a contract negotiation (by contacting TWC or CBS). It's not difficult to obtain most of this programming illegally. So who is really going to lose?
The person who obtains the program illegally and gets caught of course!!

I'm assuming that by cable you mean pay providers including satellite and fiber?

Unless you want to go the illegal route, I'd bet there will be a time when the Neflix's and Hulu's and other online content providers will be fighting the same fight (and yes, I know Hulu is owned by some of the networks....for now).
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #72
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
I'm not personally affected since I have Comcast, but this still really upsets me, and I hope it doesn't become a trend. Why should this bickering cause the subscribers to suffer a loss of service? I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't this be considered a breach of contract? (i.e, subscribers have a contractual agreement for which they are receiving a service.)
Unfortunately, it IS a trend. As most broadcast networks move away from "must carry" to transmission fees to rake in more bucks, we are seeing this more and more. It's been a trend for years with cable channels and more recently the broadcast nets. I can't think of a provider in my area that hasn't gone through any of this with some channel or another.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #73
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
With the local CH9 blocked, you think the espn telecast of the Dodgers Monday will be available to those effected?
Almost definitely, since you can still get channel 9, just not on cable, therefore the blackout rules still apply.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #74
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I'm not sure why Time Warner thinks this is an adequate substitute.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #75
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I am sure they are bluffing, but it would be fun to see how things played out if Time Warner indeed went with an a la carte option for these CBS stations!
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #76
lpwcomp

It would also be interesting to see what would happen if TWC just went bnack to carrying these local CBS affiliates, perhaps putting a "reasonable" fee in an escrow account. (Personally, I don't think they should have to pay anything to carry a local OTA station, as long as they transmit it as is and don't insert their own adds. I don't see how the station can claim that they are harmed since it provides access to their programming and advertising to people in their viewing area who might have antenna reception problems.)

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #77
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It would also be interesting to see what would happen if TWC just went bnack to carrying these local CBS affiliates, perhaps putting a "reasonable" fee in an escrow account. (Personally, I don't think they should have to pay anything to carry a local OTA station, as long as they transmit it as is and don't insert their own adds. I don't see how the station can claim that they are harmed since it provides access to their programming and advertising to people in their viewing area who might have antenna reception problems.)
The network has the choice of requiring that the cable provider carry their programming, in which case there is no fee. The other choice is if the network demands a retransmission fee, then they've waived the "must carry" requirement and they can withhold their programming from anyone until they're paid an amount they feel is fair. In this case, CBS has elected the second option, so the "must carry" status no longer applies and as far as a cable provider is concerned, CBS is no different than ESPN or History or Discovery.

So I don't think TWC could retransmit the CBS signal and just put what they think is a reasonable amount into escrow. Either there is an agreement stating what TWC's rights are and the amount they have to pay, or there is no agreement and then TWC has no legal right to retransmit the CBS signal, just like a cable co. couldn't transmit ESPN's content without a valid agreement with ESPN.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #78
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The network has the choice of requiring that the cable provider carry their programming, in which case there is no fee. The other choice is if the network demands a retransmission fee, then they've waived the "must carry" requirement and they can withhold their programming from anyone until they're paid an amount they feel is fair. In this case, CBS has elected the second option, so the "must carry" status no longer applies and as far as a cable provider is concerned, CBS is no different than ESPN or History or Discovery.

So I don't think TWC could retransmit the CBS signal and just put what they think is a reasonable amount into escrow. Either there is an agreement stating what TWC's rights are and the amount they have to pay, or there is no agreement and then TWC has no legal right to retransmit the CBS signal, just like a cable co. couldn't transmit ESPN's content without a valid agreement with ESPN.
There is absolutely no valid comparison between cable only ESPN and something available OTA. It would be an interesting civil court case. How exactly can the local affiliate prove a tort? In fact, if I were an attorney, I would consider filing a class action suit on behalf of viewers in the area who, for one reason or another, can only receive the signal via cable. I would also consider asking the FCC to re-examine the regulations that allow this sort of unconscionable extortion.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #79
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
There is absolutely no valid comparison between cable only ESPN and something available OTA. It would be an interesting civil court case. How exactly can the local affiliate prove a tort? In fact, if I were an attorney, I would consider filing a class action suit on behalf of viewers in the area who, for one reason or another, can only receive the signal via cable. I would also consider asking the FCC to re-examine the regulations that allow this sort of unconscionable extortion.
Wouldn't the affiliate be in breach of its contract with CBS if it did something like this?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #80
GoHalos

This has apparently been good for Aereo:

CBS blackout puts start-up Aereo in the spotlight

Quote:
Start-up Aereo is enjoying the spotlight for its online TV service in the wake of a Time Warner Cable-CBS battle over fees that has left major markets with a CBS blackout...

...Reports have surfaced that Time Warner may start recommending Aereo to concerned CBS customers as a bargaining chip if the dispute doesn't end soon.

GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #81
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post

Aero operates in New York, Boston, and Atlanta. No Dallas and Los Angeles.
https://aereo.com/coverage
Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #82
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

And poof! The channels in dispute are gone from my TiVo lineup. Got the message on the TiVo today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #83
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
And poof! The channels in dispute are gone from my TiVo lineup. Got the message on the TiVo today.
Well that's messed up. Wonder how it'll affect SP's when they come back?
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #84
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I still had mine. Till about 2 minutes ago. wow that's a lot of channels if you have Showtime.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #85
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Yes, the game is on and available.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #86
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
TiVo doesn't do that anymore. The 4-tuner boxes only have cable hookup - no antenna. I really wanted one until I heard that since I'm thinking of cutting the cord on cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Go to Weaknees for Tivo Premiere.
TiVo.com also has the Premiere, but as nirisahn said, if you want a 4-tuner box, you're screwed.

I really like having a TiVo with OTA. That way if the cable goes out, you can still watch something.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #87
JYoung
Series 3

From the LA Times:

Time Warner chairman proposes offering CBS ala carte.

And the blackout doesn't seem to be affecting the ratings.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #88
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post

TWC should be careful doing that. They may lose customers when some folk realize that with Aero, they can get their locals and get content for cable shows by other less expensive means.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #89
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Yes, the game is on and available.
I'm actually surprised by this, because I thought blackout rules meant everyone, not just some cable companies. Unless it's one of those rare times that ESPN was able to show their broadcast locally even though it's available on a local channel. I've seen this happen occasionally.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #90
Bob Coxner

TWC internet customer here. 100+ miles away from the nearest affected CBS station (Dallas). When I go to cbs.com I get the blocked out message. When I turn on my VPN cbs.com works fine. I just have to avoid any VPN servers in the affected cities.

As for Aereo, if you have a VPN provider you can use Aereo even if you don't live in one of the 3 cities they serve. Just connect to a server in one of the cities and register. The first month is free.

There are many good VPNs. I use Witopia and can recommend it but there are others equally good.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote