TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
aplectic

Transfer/Record from Dish DVR to Tivo?

I have found a sketchy post or two but no real instructions on how to do this.

I'm getting rid of Dish and using a Tivo with Antenna and Wifi. I have shows on the Dish DVR I would like to transfer or probably have to record to the Tivo.

Since I use antenna, how will the Tivo know to record from the A/V outlet, if that's what I should do?

Since the TV only shows either the Dish DVR or the Tivo, how to I work with one of them being 'blind'?

Thank you and sorry if something is already out there. I checked various FAQ and posts.
Jeff
aplectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
True Colors

Need more information.

Are these shows high definition, or standard def, or a combination?

Which model of Tivo do you have?

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
aplectic

Tivo Premiere, current generation, bottom of the line one with 500GB hd. They are standard def.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
True Colors

The shows from your directv DVR can be saved, but you will have to jump through some hoops. It will be an extreme pain in the ass for you.

The premiere does not accept analog inputs. So that means you will not be able to connect the direct tv box directly to the premiere.

You do have a few other choices. All of these involve some quality loss. It will be up to you whether or not it is worth the hassle.

You could get an old Series 2 model Tivo with an active subscription plan on it. That model does have analog inputs which can receive a feed directly from the DirecTV outputs. If you use a S2 Tivo to record the content that you want, then you can transfer it from there over to the Tivo Premiere.

Another option(possibly the best one) would be for you to use a video capture card on your computer. Connect your PC capture card to the DirecTV DVR and capture the shows that way. After you have the content saved onto your computer then you could most likely transfer it over to the Premiere.

Or you could use one of those DVD recorders. Get one and connect it to the DirecTV box. Burn DVD's of the content that you wish to save. Then rip the content to your computer, and transfer it onto the Premiere.

....... one of the big advantages of Tivo is that it is extremely easy to take your recorded content and save it onto your computer for future uses.

However, other DVR's, such as DirecTV, don't really work that way.

TC
Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
aplectic

Thank you very much for the info. We have Dish, but I'm sure what you said would apply to it as well as DirecTv. Indeed it sounds like a big hassle. The Dish DVR has had a USB port for years that doesn't do anything. We've had two DVRs fail, and each time we've lost the shows on it.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
mr.unnatural

You could transfer the shows to your PC using a video capture card and then transfer the captured videos to the Tivo. I'm not sure what method is being used these days for PC to Tivo transfers, but I'm sure it's discussed in detail somewhere in these forums.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
lpwcomp

What model Dish DVR is it? Does it have RF out? If not, while this option results in severe loss in quality, you could use an old VCR as an RF modulator to feed the Premiere. Unless of course it is a Premiere 4. Both the Premiere and Premiere 4 are available w/500GB drives, so the actual model number would be useful information.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
aplectic

I believe the Dish is 625, and I do actually have everything running through a VCR already from the old days. I just never went to the trouble to hook everything up directly. (If we get an HD TV of course I would use HDMI and reconfigure it.) Is RF out like RC cables, Left Right and Video? That's how I'm using it. (I'm not in a position to check at the moment, but wanted to respond.)
Old 07-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
lpwcomp

RF out is coax. Put out analog channel 3 or 4, usually selectable.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
aplectic

Yes, there is a coax out 21-69, whatever that means. It's going into the floor, so it's going to another TV. I saw a coax type "outlet" in the back of the VCR, but it's really hard to see back there. So if I were to connect a coax from the Dish receiver to the VCR, if that's what I'm supposed to do, then what do I do? I'm lost at this point. Could I just have the coax out go to the antenna in of the Tivo? (Don't laugh if that's stupid. OK you can laugh.)
Jeff

Edit: it is in fact a Dish 625.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Looking at the manual, there should be 6 coax connectors. 2 for the dish in, 1 for remote antenna in, 1 for UHF antenna/Cable in, the CH 21-69 one that you mentioned, and a TV CH 3/4 out.

The CH 21-69 out is for feeding your existing cabling, the signal might already be available by connecting the TiVo to your cable. You should look through the manual to see if you can determine how your system is set up. If usable, it would be preferable to using the CH 3-4 out as it is higher quality and stereo audio while the CH 3-4 out is mono. However, DO NOT connect the 21-69 out directly to the TiVo unless you install an attenuator. I urge you to read the manual for the Dish DVR before you do anything.

Also, since you are continuing to pursue this option, I assume that your TiVo is not a Premiere 4 or XL4.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
aplectic

Correct, Tivo is a plain Premiere. I will read the manual. I actually like them. I'm sure I'll have more questions as far as going through to the VCR and back out and where to connect into the Tivo from there.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
aplectic

OK, I read the manual. I basically know what's there and what not to do. I looked in two of our old Dish Receiver boxes and neither have an attenuator. So it looks like I have to do the channel 3-4 out thing. The recordings are just some shows, not HD action movies with surround sound or anything.

Could you please let me know what I do with the 3/4 out? Does it go to the VCR or to the Tivo antenna in? I have a very bad back and this stuff is in the worst possible place on the floor. I can't afford to be bending over for hours trying this thing and that thing or I'll practically kill myself. You don't want to see me on the news "Man kills himself trying to hook up Dish receiver to TiVo" do you? (joking) So if you could explain it, that would be so helpful. Thank you for reading up on this for me. I really appreciate it.
Jeff

BTW I have a coax splitter that say -3.5volts (watts?) on it but I don't suppose that will do any good.

Also, I just realized that TiVo has a capital V. I also have a black and colorful TiVo icon next to my posts so I must be moving up.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Set a wish list on the TiVo to record the shows again, hopefully in HD this time.

If it is something you must keep, capture it to a computer, VHS tape, or DVD recorder.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplectic View Post
The recordings are just some shows, not HD action movies with surround sound or anything.
This is going to come across as extremely obvious, but.......

Are any of these shows on your dish DVR going to be broadcast on TV again in the future?

If so, then perhaps you could just record the upcoming airings with your Tivo. That would be a far superior option for you than transferring them off of the old Dish DVR.

Moving shows from Dish to Tivo is going to create problems for you. Numerous problems. One of the main hassles is the fact that the transfers must be done in real time. So that means that a 2 hour recording will literally take 2 hours. Or 100 hours of recorded shows will take at least 100 hours of your time. There is absolutely no way to speed this up. Period.

Not to bum you out, but there will be other problems with transfers, too...... such as quality loss, and also the complete loss of your guide data. The loss of guide data will prevent the transferred shows from showing up on the Tivo in an orderly fashion. This may be annoying for you. For me it would be extremely annoying.

Transferring shows will be a LOT of work, and depending on how many hours of recorded shows that you are trying to transfer, it could also take up a TON of your time. But if you do want to push forward with this, then there are a lot of really smart, really nice people on this website who can help.

TC
Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #16
lpwcomp

The attenuator should only be necessary if you directly connect it to the TiVo. It's designed to distribute the output of the receiver/DVR to multiple locations using your existing cable. Is your TiVo connected to your cable?

If you want to go the channel 3-4 route and accept the mono sound/lower picture quality, you should probably connect it to Cable In as I am not sure that the Premiere has an OTA analog tuner.

As other posters have intimated, this is a lot of trouble to go to to get fairly poor quality recordings.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
aplectic

TC:
First question, generally no. (No cable or Dish anymore.) One, for example, is a morning show my wife watched that's only on cable/satellite and isn't online anywhere. My shows are ESPN documentary type, and we know most of those aren't online.

I realize that I will have to babysit the shows. I'd say maybe 15 hours. One is a show about the Packers winning Super Bowl in 2010 that I'd really like. I lost that one when the old receiver broke, got it back, and now it will be gone again unless I can record it. I'd really love to have that one forever.

We can transfer shows to the computer and get rid of them on the TiVo I would think.

I would definitely like to keep going with this in any case. We don't have a DVD recorder or a budget for it--that's why we're 'cutting the cable'. My wife had surgery and the deductible is way high. I don't want to get a video capture for my computer and tie that up for hours and hours. I'd rather hassle with this than do the VCR thing. Please don't make me go back to video tapes!

Thanks.

Last edited by aplectic : 07-16-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
aplectic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The attenuator should only be necessary if you directly connect it to the TiVo. It's designed to distribute the output of the receiver/DVR to multiple locations using your existing cable. Is your TiVo connected to your cable?
We don't have cable. Only antenna and will get Netflix.

Quote:
If you want to go the channel 3-4 route and accept the mono sound/lower picture quality, you should probably connect it to Cable In as I am not sure that the Premiere has an OTA analog tuner.
Ah, now I get it. The Premiere is the only one that does non-HD as far as I know. You can see here:
http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-pr...mpare.html#tab
Premiere "Supports analog, digital, and over-the-air channels". Premiere 4 "Supports digital channels only".

Quote:
As other posters have intimated, this is a lot of trouble to go to to get fairly poor quality recordings.
I'll try one and see how it goes.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
Ah, now I get it. The Premiere is the only one that does non-HD as far as I know. You can see here:
http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-pr...mpare.html#tab
Premiere "Supports analog, digital, and over-the-air channels".
There is another spot on the TiVo website which states "TiVo Premiere provides access to HD digital cable, analog cable, and ATSC over-the-air signals and Verizon FiOS®". ATSC is digital. That's why I am not sure that it supports OTA analog. Then again, there is yet a third place where it explicitly states that OTA NTSC (analog) is supported. So two out of three indicate it supports OTA analog.

Quote:
Premiere 4 "Supports digital channels only".
More precisely, the Premiere 4 supports digital cable channels. It doesn't do OTA at all.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
aplectic

I'm even more confused now.

-I initially set up the TiVo for antenna only (cuz we don't got no cable) and so I'm not sure if it will recognize what's coming in from that coax outlet. I can't find any way to change it back for it to be cable and antenna.
-I hooked up a coax cable from the Channel 3-4 out on the Dish receiver to the Cable In on the TiVo.
-If I try a manual recording, it just records what's coming in from the antenna, naturally.

So I'm stuck at this point. You would think other people have done this before. Or maybe I'm the only one stupid enough.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm even more confused now.

-I initially set up the TiVo for antenna only (cuz we don't got no cable) and so I'm not sure if it will recognize what's coming in from that coax outlet. I can't find any way to change it back for it to be cable and antenna.
-I hooked up a coax cable from the Channel 3-4 out on the Dish receiver to the Cable In on the TiVo.
-If I try a manual recording, it just records what's coming in from the antenna, naturally.

So I'm stuck at this point. You would think other people have done this before. Or maybe I'm the only one stupid enough.
Redo "Guided Setup".

If using SDUI, TiVo Central->Settings & Messages->Restart or Reset System->Repeat Guided Setup.

If using HDUI, TiVo Central->Settings & Messages->Help->Restart or Reset->Restart or Reset System->Repeat Guided Setup.

Follow the instructions and choose "Antenna & Cable" or whatever it is, no CableCARD. At some point you should be given the option to scan for channels, including cable channels.

While I am no means certain that you are unique in doing this, I would be very surprised if you aren't.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #22
True Colors

aplectic,

I am a big sports enthusiast myself. A lot of times the TV specials are available on DVD for dirt cheap.

For example...... just checking on amazon.com...... here is a DVD about the Packers which can be delivered to your doorstep for a grand total of $5.10(shipping included)..... perhaps this is the same show(or similar to) what you have recorded on your Dish box?

http://www.amazon.com/NFL-Super-Bowl...A3IR5ZQALY9SP5

Perhaps it would be worth it to you to spend a couple of bucks on some of these?

Also....... aplectic...... please check your private messages on this board. I just sent you a note.

TC
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
aplectic

OK, I think you guys have convinced me to scrap the idea unless I want to give it one more try.

I believe that's the Packers show, and if not, it should be somewhere for cheap. I also found some of the other shows like 30 for 30 and A Football Life out there. My wife said she can do without her shows, which aren't a whole lot. And with Netflix and whatever else, she'll have so many choices, she won't know what to do with them.

So that's a relief. I'm going to install pyTivo and learn how to use that. Once I do that, I should be all set. I've already been recording OTA shows. Love the overlap and Watch List features.

Is Netflix really required with TiVo? I didn't see anything about that within the TiVo. Hulu Plus looks very good.

Thank you!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
lpwcomp

Quote:
Is Netflix really required with TiVo? I didn't see anything about that within the TiVo. Hulu Plus looks very good.

Thank you!
None of those services is required. I've never used any of them. I do use pyTivo extensively, but then it is free.