TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
monkwipes

Arrow Tivo to a Samsung PN60F5500

Just purchased a Samsung Smart TV. Got everything working, even the remote.
My question is this... What would be the best way to connect it to the tv? Should I connect it by HDMI to HDMI input 1, or should I connect it by a coax cable to the coax input? BTW, I'm watching my programming by just OTA, and the internet. If anyone that has had this dilemma, you might know why I'm asking. Any takers... Thanks for any input.
monkwipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkwipes View Post
Just purchased a Samsung Smart TV. Got everything working, even the remote.
My question is this... What would be the best way to connect it to the tv? Should I connect it by HDMI to HDMI input 1, or should I connect it by a coax cable to the coax input? BTW, I'm watching my programming by just OTA, and the internet. If anyone that has had this dilemma, you might know why I'm asking. Any takers... Thanks for any input.
If your tivo has an hdmi output, the coax in the back are inputs to tivo for antenna and for cable tv and are marked as such, you can't send the tivo output to the tv via coax.

Coax from antenna to splitter -- one feed to tivo and the other to the tv.

HDMI from tivo to Samsung -- If there are more than one hdmi inputs on tv it shouldn't matter which you use for tivo.

I've got 3 OTA tivos connected this way to 3 Samsung LED tvs
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
monkwipes

OK, So when the Samsung setup screen asks me to choose between antenna or set top box, I'm assuming I need to choose set top box even though I'm only receiving OTA content?
monkwipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkwipes View Post
OK, So when the Samsung setup screen asks me to choose between antenna or set top box, I'm assuming I need to choose set top box even though I'm only receiving OTA content?
I don't use the IR blaster that came with the UN40ES7500 to control the tivo, so I just picked antenna in my setup. there's some discussion of tivos, samsung tvs and remotes in this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=504687
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote