TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,384
HIMYM [03/17/2014] - "Gary Blauman"

Marshall: You take a man's wife before you take his accidental curly.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Donbadabon
Geocacher
 
Donbadabon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,652
I love finding the curly fry in the middle of the regular fries too.

Taran Killam (Gary Blauman) is Cobie Smulders real-life husband, if anyone didn't know.

I liked the walk with the mom, and even though we know they outcome it was nice to see her extend their walk.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
JoBeth66
Temp
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,225
Last night's episode really seemed to drag, and I don't know why. It wasn't a bad ep, it wasn't a great ep, but it felt really, really long.
__________________
Amy Jo
----------------
Opting out.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
3D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Plantation, FL.
Posts: 646
I actually thought it was one of the better episodes of the season.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D View Post
I actually thought it was one of the better episodes of the season.
I thought the opposite. If you'd like to elaborate I would like to see if there's something I missed or if it's just a case of different strokes.

The main thing I enjoyed was the retrospective of characters of interest at the end.

They were really stretching on the plot line which I can easily get over if it was funny, but it really wasn't that funny. They did it for dramatic tie in effect, but it wasn't that effective either.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
billypritchard
Embiggener
 
billypritchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I thought the opposite. If you'd like to elaborate I would like to see if there's something I missed or if it's just a case of different strokes.

The main thing I enjoyed was the retrospective of characters of interest at the end.

They were really stretching on the plot line which I can easily get over if it was funny, but it really wasn't that funny. They did it for dramatic tie in effect, but it wasn't that effective either.
Yeah, different strokes. I enjoyed the scenes with the mother, they let us see again the Ted who isn't always a pretentious ******. Some of the Gary Blauman stuff was good, particularly the curly fry, and Billy Zabka. And it sweetly tied up some loose ends without holding out that info for the final episode. Overall, I give it a good grade.
__________________
Do Me! Do Me! - MNoelH
I agree with BP - Finnstang
billypritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
BrettStah
Registered User
 
BrettStah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 15,228
I got a chuckle when Billy Zabka said, "That's not even my move!" (both times he said it).
__________________
Brett

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
3D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Plantation, FL.
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I thought the opposite. If you'd like to elaborate I would like to see if there's something I missed or if it's just a case of different strokes.

The main thing I enjoyed was the retrospective of characters of interest at the end.

They were really stretching on the plot line which I can easily get over if it was funny, but it really wasn't that funny. They did it for dramatic tie in effect, but it wasn't that effective either.
Everything's relative. I haven't been that impressed with this season, so ranking this episode as one of the better ones isn't really saying much. I don't pay enough attention to the jokes to list a bunch, but I at least smiled more while watching this one than I have for many this year. I also enjoyed everyone's different opinions of Blauman, and am always a sucker for Karate Kid references made in Zabka's presence. I particularly liked when he complained that the crane was not even his move, and that they should have said sweep the leg or get him a body bag. Big child of the 80s here!
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
JoBeth66
Temp
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,225
Best joke was in the retrospective when James sits on the couch between the kids and says "Did I ever tell you how I met your father? It was at a party."

That was hilarious.
__________________
Amy Jo
----------------
Opting out.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Jonathan_S
Registered User
 
Jonathan_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I thought the opposite. If you'd like to elaborate I would like to see if there's something I missed or if it's just a case of different strokes.

The main thing I enjoyed was the retrospective of characters of interest at the end.

They were really stretching on the plot line which I can easily get over if it was funny, but it really wasn't that funny. They did it for dramatic tie in effect, but it wasn't that effective either.
I'm with you and JoBeth - I though it dragged.

I liked the bit with the mother, and the retrospective at the end. But the main part, the long drawn out Gary Blauman story did nothing for me.

Shrug, to each their own.
__________________
Xbox: MetalThreshkeen -- PSN: Threshkeen
TiVo Elite
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 37,972
I agree, thought the Gary Blauman stuff was meh, but the other stuff was good.

Should have had more of the Mother stuff like that ALL season!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,456
I really enjoyed this episode. The retrospectives were great, and the scenes with the mother were great. The Gary Blauman was entertaining enough... it reminded me of the earlier days of HIMYM. It might seem out of place in the show now, but those types of plots are what made me really enjoy this show a long time ago.

This season started off pretty poorly but I've really been enjoying it for the last several episodes at least.

My wife didn't get the "how I met your father" joke until I explained it again. It made me laugh out loud, which is quite rare for a show.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know
 
Mr. Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Yeah, different strokes. I enjoyed the scenes with the mother, they let us see again the Ted who isn't always a pretentious ******. Some of the Gary Blauman stuff was good, particularly the curly fry, and Billy Zabka. And it sweetly tied up some loose ends without holding out that info for the final episode. Overall, I give it a good grade.
Maybe be not a pretentious doosh, but I am getting to find Ted unwatchable. Not that I have to suffer much longer, and I won't be watching re-runs.
__________________
"Your attitude sucks, Soze." ThomasDrew
"WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU?!?" Rob Helmerichs
Mr. Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,410
I liked seeing Ted and The Mother's first "date," and how it could have ended right there if Ted had been his usual self, but he trusted things would work out so he gave her the space she was asking for and that's all it took to get her to bite.

The Gary Blauman stuff was mostly meh, but I did like how each time someone heard his name they had to come up with a new dramatic way to make us wonder whether the character liked or hated Gary. Sure, it was cheesy and predictable, but was kind of fun to see what additional descriptions they'd come up with.

I also liked how proud Ted was when he realized Gary Blauman was gay and therefore Gary was trying to win Ted instead of the girl.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
billypritchard
Embiggener
 
billypritchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I liked seeing Ted and The Mother's first "date," and how it could have ended right there if Ted had been his usual self, but he trusted things would work out so he gave her the space she was asking for and that's all it took to get her to bite.

The Gary Blauman stuff was mostly meh, but I did like how each time someone heard his name they had to come up with a new dramatic way to make us wonder whether the character liked or hated Gary. Sure, it was cheesy and predictable, but was kind of fun to see what additional descriptions they'd come up with.

I also liked how proud Ted was when he realized Gary Blauman was gay and therefore Gary was trying to win Ted instead of the girl.
Obviously this is probably the crux of the thing. Ted needed to grow up, change a bit, before he could meet the mother. He's had a lot of opportunity to learn from his mess ups.
__________________
Do Me! Do Me! - MNoelH
I agree with BP - Finnstang
billypritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #16
busyba
The Funcooker
 
busyba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 26,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Obviously this is probably the crux of the thing. Ted needed to grow up, change a bit, before he could meet the mother. He's had a lot of opportunity to learn from his mess ups.
It's almost as if the journey was somehow relevant. Imagine that.
__________________
"Wow... I so love you" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
Sparty99
Registered User
 
Sparty99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ferndale, MI
Posts: 18,067
Did anyone else catch the reference to losing contract with friends and the camera focusing on Barney?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 20,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Did anyone else catch the reference to losing contract with friends and the camera focusing on Barney?
Yep, although I wouldn't have if not for reading here about him not being in the flash forwards.
__________________
If you read my post and think "AYFKM? She's got to be joking." Then yes. I'm joking.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #19
vman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 716
Man, if we went through an entire series about meeting the mother only to learn she dies, and we spent this entire season at Barney and Robin's wedding only to learn Barney isn't part of the group in the future, it will truly be one of the most disappointing conclusions I could think of...
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are!
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #20
alpacaboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Should have had more of the Mother stuff like that ALL season!
Yes, if it was the season of all Mother, then it would have been the Mother of all seasons.

I wasn't really into the Gary Blauman stuff, but I liked the first "date" and the "here's what happens to the secondary characters" at the end.
__________________
J: Where do you think they are?
S: I don't know. Lot of places in the world with C4 and yogurt.
(Burn Notice)
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #21
JoeyJoJo
Damaged Goods
 
JoeyJoJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southern NH.
Posts: 6,378
My God!

Did everyone miss Lily's line about Marshall having to look at Sugar Ray when they had sex on Marshall's birthday every year if Gary Blauman hadn't stopped her?
JoeyJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,559
I thought it was a meh episode, and while I liked the character retrospective, it felt kinda tacked on. It felt like the writers said, "You know, we should really tie up what happened to some of the minor characters. Let's tack it on here!" (The best do do the character retrospective was The Wonder Years. I choke up EVERY time I have seen that). Ted's first date was great too, and I did like how both he and his "wife" handled it. You could see Ted beginning to morph into the Ted of the Bob Saget narration instead of D-Bag Ted of the last few years.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #23
billypritchard
Embiggener
 
billypritchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo View Post
My God!

Did everyone miss Lily's line about Marshall having to look at Sugar Ray when they had sex on Marshall's birthday every year if Gary Blauman hadn't stopped her?
It got a mild chuckle from me.
__________________
Do Me! Do Me! - MNoelH
I agree with BP - Finnstang
billypritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #24
Sparty99
Registered User
 
Sparty99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ferndale, MI
Posts: 18,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo View Post
My God!

Did everyone miss Lily's line about Marshall having to look at Sugar Ray when they had sex on Marshall's birthday every year if Gary Blauman hadn't stopped her?
I caught it. As soon as she said it I sent my friend a text message that said, "Did Lily just make an anal joke?!?"
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 37,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
I caught it. As soon as she said it I sent my friend a text message that said, "Did Lily just make an anal joke?!?"
No, just a doggy style joke

-Bloodhound Gang - "And then we'll do it doggy style so we can both watch "X-Files"" (or a tattoo)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southwestern Virginia
Posts: 20,404
I think it was anal. Doggie style is NBD, it wouldn't be restricted to once a year.
__________________
If you read my post and think "AYFKM? She's got to be joking." Then yes. I'm joking.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 37,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I think it was anal. Doggie style is NBD, it wouldn't be restricted to once a year.
Yeah true, but for middle america on a sitcom joke, who knows
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #28
Donbadabon
Geocacher
 
Donbadabon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,652
Definitely back door. What would be special about doggy on a birthday?

Funny how different people can hear the same joke and take away a different punchline.

And for the record, when Alice told Leonard "Is it my tongue stud, because if that freaks you out, you're in for a real surprise later on." she was referring to another piercing.

And Sun wasn't just naked in a bed with Jae, she was cheating on Jin.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #29
MikeMar
Go Pats
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston Suburb, MA
Posts: 37,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Definitely back door. What would be special about doggy on a birthday?

Funny how different people can hear the same joke and take away a different punchline.

And for the record, when Alice told Leonard "Is it my tongue stud, because if that freaks you out, you're in for a real surprise later on." she was referring to another piercing.

And Sun wasn't just naked in a bed with Jae, she was cheating on Jin.
Oh I took the joke as back door vs doggie, just wasn't sure which way they were going with it (see what I did there). I bet a good chunk of people ONLY thought it could be doggie (hence my middle america line)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #30
Sparty99
Registered User
 
Sparty99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ferndale, MI
Posts: 18,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Oh I took the joke as back door vs doggie, just wasn't sure which way they were going with it (see what I did there). I bet a good chunk of people ONLY thought it could be doggie (hence my middle america line)
We're pretty enlightened here in middle America, contrary to what the two coasts would like to think. Why, we discovered positions other than missionary 3 years ago!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |