TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

HIMYM [03/17/2014] - "Gary Blauman"

Marshall: You take a man's wife before you take his accidental curly.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I love finding the curly fry in the middle of the regular fries too.

Taran Killam (Gary Blauman) is Cobie Smulders real-life husband, if anyone didn't know.

I liked the walk with the mom, and even though we know they outcome it was nice to see her extend their walk.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
JoBeth66
Temp

Last night's episode really seemed to drag, and I don't know why. It wasn't a bad ep, it wasn't a great ep, but it felt really, really long.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
3D

I actually thought it was one of the better episodes of the season.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D View Post
I actually thought it was one of the better episodes of the season.
I thought the opposite. If you'd like to elaborate I would like to see if there's something I missed or if it's just a case of different strokes.

The main thing I enjoyed was the retrospective of characters of interest at the end.

They were really stretching on the plot line which I can easily get over if it was funny, but it really wasn't that funny. They did it for dramatic tie in effect, but it wasn't that effective either.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I thought the opposite. If you'd like to elaborate I would like to see if there's something I missed or if it's just a case of different strokes.

The main thing I enjoyed was the retrospective of characters of interest at the end.

They were really stretching on the plot line which I can easily get over if it was funny, but it really wasn't that funny. They did it for dramatic tie in effect, but it wasn't that effective either.
Yeah, different strokes. I enjoyed the scenes with the mother, they let us see again the Ted who isn't always a pretentious ******. Some of the Gary Blauman stuff was good, particularly the curly fry, and Billy Zabka. And it sweetly tied up some loose ends without holding out that info for the final episode. Overall, I give it a good grade.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
BrettStah

I got a chuckle when Billy Zabka said, "That's not even my move!" (both times he said it).

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
3D

Quote:

Everything's relative. I haven't been that impressed with this season, so ranking this episode as one of the better ones isn't really saying much. I don't pay enough attention to the jokes to list a bunch, but I at least smiled more while watching this one than I have for many this year. I also enjoyed everyone's different opinions of Blauman, and am always a sucker for Karate Kid references made in Zabka's presence. I particularly liked when he complained that the crane was not even his move, and that they should have said sweep the leg or get him a body bag. Big child of the 80s here!
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
JoBeth66
Temp

Best joke was in the retrospective when James sits on the couch between the kids and says "Did I ever tell you how I met your father? It was at a party."

That was hilarious.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Jonathan_S

Quote:

I'm with you and JoBeth - I though it dragged.

I liked the bit with the mother, and the retrospective at the end. But the main part, the long drawn out Gary Blauman story did nothing for me.

Shrug, to each their own.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
MikeMar
Go Pats

I agree, thought the Gary Blauman stuff was meh, but the other stuff was good.

Should have had more of the Mother stuff like that ALL season!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I really enjoyed this episode. The retrospectives were great, and the scenes with the mother were great. The Gary Blauman was entertaining enough... it reminded me of the earlier days of HIMYM. It might seem out of place in the show now, but those types of plots are what made me really enjoy this show a long time ago.

This season started off pretty poorly but I've really been enjoying it for the last several episodes at least.

My wife didn't get the "how I met your father" joke until I explained it again. It made me laugh out loud, which is quite rare for a show.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Yeah, different strokes. I enjoyed the scenes with the mother, they let us see again the Ted who isn't always a pretentious ******. Some of the Gary Blauman stuff was good, particularly the curly fry, and Billy Zabka. And it sweetly tied up some loose ends without holding out that info for the final episode. Overall, I give it a good grade.
Maybe be not a pretentious doosh, but I am getting to find Ted unwatchable. Not that I have to suffer much longer, and I won't be watching re-runs.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I liked seeing Ted and The Mother's first "date," and how it could have ended right there if Ted had been his usual self, but he trusted things would work out so he gave her the space she was asking for and that's all it took to get her to bite.

The Gary Blauman stuff was mostly meh, but I did like how each time someone heard his name they had to come up with a new dramatic way to make us wonder whether the character liked or hated Gary. Sure, it was cheesy and predictable, but was kind of fun to see what additional descriptions they'd come up with.

I also liked how proud Ted was when he realized Gary Blauman was gay and therefore Gary was trying to win Ted instead of the girl.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I liked seeing Ted and The Mother's first "date," and how it could have ended right there if Ted had been his usual self, but he trusted things would work out so he gave her the space she was asking for and that's all it took to get her to bite.

The Gary Blauman stuff was mostly meh, but I did like how each time someone heard his name they had to come up with a new dramatic way to make us wonder whether the character liked or hated Gary. Sure, it was cheesy and predictable, but was kind of fun to see what additional descriptions they'd come up with.

I also liked how proud Ted was when he realized Gary Blauman was gay and therefore Gary was trying to win Ted instead of the girl.
Obviously this is probably the crux of the thing. Ted needed to grow up, change a bit, before he could meet the mother. He's had a lot of opportunity to learn from his mess ups.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #16
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Obviously this is probably the crux of the thing. Ted needed to grow up, change a bit, before he could meet the mother. He's had a lot of opportunity to learn from his mess ups.
It's almost as if the journey was somehow relevant. Imagine that.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
Sparty99

Did anyone else catch the reference to losing contract with friends and the camera focusing on Barney?

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Did anyone else catch the reference to losing contract with friends and the camera focusing on Barney?
Yep, although I wouldn't have if not for reading here about him not being in the flash forwards.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #19
vman

Man, if we went through an entire series about meeting the mother only to learn she dies, and we spent this entire season at Barney and Robin's wedding only to learn Barney isn't part of the group in the future, it will truly be one of the most disappointing conclusions I could think of...
Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #20
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Should have had more of the Mother stuff like that ALL season!
Yes, if it was the season of all Mother, then it would have been the Mother of all seasons.

I wasn't really into the Gary Blauman stuff, but I liked the first "date" and the "here's what happens to the secondary characters" at the end.
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #21
JoeyJoJo
Damaged Goods

My God!

Did everyone miss Lily's line about Marshall having to look at Sugar Ray when they had sex on Marshall's birthday every year if Gary Blauman hadn't stopped her?
JoeyJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I thought it was a meh episode, and while I liked the character retrospective, it felt kinda tacked on. It felt like the writers said, "You know, we should really tie up what happened to some of the minor characters. Let's tack it on here!" (The best do do the character retrospective was The Wonder Years. I choke up EVERY time I have seen that). Ted's first date was great too, and I did like how both he and his "wife" handled it. You could see Ted beginning to morph into the Ted of the Bob Saget narration instead of D-Bag Ted of the last few years.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #23
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo View Post
My God!

Did everyone miss Lily's line about Marshall having to look at Sugar Ray when they had sex on Marshall's birthday every year if Gary Blauman hadn't stopped her?
It got a mild chuckle from me.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #24
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo View Post
My God!

I caught it. As soon as she said it I sent my friend a text message that said, "Did Lily just make an anal joke?!?"

Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
I caught it. As soon as she said it I sent my friend a text message that said, "Did Lily just make an anal joke?!?"
No, just a doggy style joke

-Bloodhound Gang - "And then we'll do it doggy style so we can both watch "X-Files"" (or a tattoo)

Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I think it was anal. Doggie style is NBD, it wouldn't be restricted to once a year.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I think it was anal. Doggie style is NBD, it wouldn't be restricted to once a year.
Yeah true, but for middle america on a sitcom joke, who knows

Old 03-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #28
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Definitely back door. What would be special about doggy on a birthday?

Funny how different people can hear the same joke and take away a different punchline.

And for the record, when Alice told Leonard "Is it my tongue stud, because if that freaks you out, you're in for a real surprise later on." she was referring to another piercing.

And Sun wasn't just naked in a bed with Jae, she was cheating on Jin.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #29
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Definitely back door. What would be special about doggy on a birthday?

Funny how different people can hear the same joke and take away a different punchline.

And for the record, when Alice told Leonard "Is it my tongue stud, because if that freaks you out, you're in for a real surprise later on." she was referring to another piercing.

And Sun wasn't just naked in a bed with Jae, she was cheating on Jin.
Oh I took the joke as back door vs doggie, just wasn't sure which way they were going with it (see what I did there). I bet a good chunk of people ONLY thought it could be doggie (hence my middle america line)

Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #30
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Oh I took the joke as back door vs doggie, just wasn't sure which way they were going with it (see what I did there). I bet a good chunk of people ONLY thought it could be doggie (hence my middle america line)
We're pretty enlightened here in middle America, contrary to what the two coasts would like to think. Why, we discovered positions other than missionary 3 years ago!