TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
Peter000

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3/4/14 spoilers

Are we supposed to know who or what was in the chamber that Coulson found in the Guest House?

I really want to love this series, but I'm just not feeling it most of the time.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
slydog75
Not all that sly

I was expecting it to be him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Mark Twain
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I really want to love this series, but I'm just not feeling it most of the time.
I don't want to love it, but I do want to find it not stupid, poorly written, flimsily characterized, and often laughable. It's really pretty bad in so many ways.

That said, I am continuing to watch, and it isn't even hate-watching. I would have dumped so many other shows by now over the problems this one has, but for some reason I'm feeling quite patient with it. It has managed to have a few good moments, and despite its issues is fairly watchable. So I'm hanging in!

And no, I didn't know what that was that Coulson found in T.A.H.I.T.I.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
busyba
The Funcooker

I *think* it's some kind of alien and all the different GH serums were harvested from his corpse. So ew.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I *think* it's some kind of alien and all the different GH serums were harvested from his corpse. So ew.
It's a Grey Hulk.

No, I think you're right.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
jeepair

I thought the 2 defenders were lame. You take the left and I've got the right.

Should have had them hit an alarm and received instructions. Perhaps if they couldn't contact anyone, escape and hit the button to blow up the building with everyone but themselves inside.

Just dying isn't an answer.

Hope we see more of Hudson.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
Should have had them hit an alarm and received instructions. Perhaps if they couldn't contact anyone, escape and hit the button to blow up the building with everyone but themselves inside.
And you'd think a complex that important would have more security than two guys. Granted, they didn't think anybody would ever find them, but given the place;s significance they should have been prepared for even the tiniest possibility with something better than the Special Forces Maytag Man and his sidekick.

And it's interesting that Coulson was willing to effectively murder guards at a facility run by his own side.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And it's interesting that Coulson was willing to effectively murder guards at a facility run by his own side.
I was scratching my head at the logic of that.

We've got someone dying that we might be able to save with something we find at this facility, or maybe not. But we're willing to kill two other innocent schlubs who are just doing their jobs to give it a try.

Yeah, what?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

They said on the plane before they went in that this wasn't a SHIELD facility and they people in there weren't SHIELD agents. I'm not sure how they knew that, or if it was just papering things over.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Jagman_sl

Quote:
To be fair, he did identify himself as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and stated his need several times and they fired on him first. His final warning was along the lines of "We're here seeking medical assistance but if you continue to fire on us we will be forced to defend ourselves."

I'd hardly call that "murder"...
Jagman_sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman_sl View Post
To be fair, he did identify himself as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and stated his need several times and they fired on him first. His final warning was along the lines of "We're here seeking medical assistance but if you continue to fire on us we will be forced to defend ourselves."

Well they did break in after not knowing the counter-phrase. And then found out there weren't any doctors there anyway.

I also wondered about them landing their HUGE plane there and going pretty much unnoticed until they rang the door bell.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Well they did break in after not knowing the counter-phrase. And then found out there weren't any doctors there anyway.
Yeah, breaking into a SHIELD facility you have no business knowing about much less being in, and then killing the people who try to stop you, is pretty murderous.

It's one thing for Coulson to break protocol. But this was so extreme, I'm surprised he's still alive, much less free. If I were Nick Fury, this show would have a new lead effective immediately (what with the current one being executed or imprisoned).
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I have to smile whenever that jet, which seems to be bigger than an aircraft carrier shows up. It's a neat trick when it can dock - midair - with another jet. And Pvt. Hudson jumps right out.

Amazing that a plane that huge has VTOL ability. Also that Ming-Na casually leaves the cockpit, with no copilot, whenever she feels like it.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

There are reports that...
Spoiler:
The mysterious GH is a Kree, a race in the Marvel universe that is supposed to play a significant part in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

What "GH" means, nobody seems to know.

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
Azlen

It looked kinda like the aliens that attacked New York in the Avengers. It would make sense that they were able to capture one.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
It looked kinda like the aliens that attacked New York in the Avengers. It would make sense that they were able to capture one.
But it doesn't make sense for one of the NY aliens to be the source of the GH 325 that saved Coulson from death because that attack happened the same day that Coulson died. The R&D on the GH 325 didn't happen instantaneously.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #17
Jagman_sl

Quote:
Yeah, breaking into a SHIELD facility you have no business knowing about much less being in, and then killing the people who try to stop you, is pretty murderous.
He tried to talk to them, and even gave a warning that he would start fighting back. Typically murderers don't hold off on their killing until they have no other option. From Coulson's point of view he was trying to save somebody's life and not engage those guys at all, but he was between a rock and a hard place. The two soldiers just opened fire immediately even after Coulson identified himself as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and said he just needed assistance. I'd say the two soldiers were much more murderous than Coulson's team was, and that Coulson's group was forced to defend themselves.

And yes, they did break in. But the two soldiers never once said "Don't come in here".
Old 03-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I didn't think it really did:

Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I didn't think it really did:
Yep, looking at those two together it really doesn't. Actually, the first thing that popped into my mind was Martian Manhunter but he's DC so that wouldn't work.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #20
Jagman_sl

Quote:
Yep, looking at those two together it really doesn't. Actually, the first thing that popped into my mind was Martian Manhunter but he's DC so that wouldn't work.
I first thought of Dr. Manhattan, and then of the Engineer from Prometheus.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #21
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
The first thing I thought of was Doctor Manhattan

Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
He tried to talk to them, and even gave a warning that he would start fighting back. Typically murderers don't hold off on their killing until they have no other option. From Coulson's point of view he was trying to save somebody's life and not engage those guys at all, but he was between a rock and a hard place. The two soldiers just opened fire immediately even after Coulson identified himself as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and said he just needed assistance. I'd say the two soldiers were much more murderous than Coulson's team was, and that Coulson's group was forced to defend themselves.

And yes, they did break in. But the two soldiers never once said "Don't come in here".
Seriously?

None of that excuses walking up to a top-secret military facility, trying to gain illegal access, and when that fails, breaking in. With machine guns.

Rules and laws aren't general guidelines. They're meant to be followed, especially in a military environment. Coulson, bluntly, deserved to die. Since he survived his attack on a SHIELD facility, he should instead be tried, no doubt convicted, and Guantanamo'd for the rest of his life. I see no circumstances under which he could ever be trusted again.

But I guess the writers figure it was a cool episode, so all is forgiven.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #23
Jagman_sl

Quote:
Seriously?

None of that excuses walking up to a top-secret military facility, trying to gain illegal access, and when that fails, breaking in. With machine guns.

Rules and laws aren't general guidelines. They're meant to be followed, especially in a military environment. Coulson, bluntly, deserved to die. Since he survived his attack on a SHIELD facility, he should instead be tried, no doubt convicted, and Guantanamo'd for the rest of his life. I see no circumstances under which he could ever be trusted again.

Isn't that how it works for every loose cannon hero in action shows and movies?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Seriously?

It seems that it wasn't a SHIELD facility, but a subcontractor of sorts.

So that's an out anyway. Otherwise, I'm with you.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #25
JoeyJoJo
Damaged Goods

The 'thing' being a Kree makes sense with the GoG movie coming up. It'd be silly not to have a tie in with each movie that's coming out.

I was wracking my brain for races/people with regenerative properties.

Jyoung makes sense with the grey hulk -- it just seemed a little too small.
Ice Giants have regenerative abilities, and were on Earth in the past.
Wolverine and Sabretooth aren't allowed to show up.
Kree are (mostly) blue.

In other news, my son is nerdier than I am. Before the 'bus' was boarded, they called out the numerical designation of it as '616.' My son looks at me and says "huh, 616 is the main Marvel universe, right?" It hadn't even registered to me.
JoeyJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #26
busyba
The Funcooker

I have no idea what Kree are. Every time one of y'all mention them, all I can think of is "Jaffa, KREE!"

Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #27
sean67854
Why?

Is Lorelei the Enchantress?

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #28
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Is Lorelei the Enchantress?
No but she is the sister of Amora, the Enchantress.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #29
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Given the ludicrosity of the acronym S.H.I.E.L.D., I'm dying to know what T.A.H.I.T.I. stands for.

And I'm with slydog75: I expected "Coulson" to be in the tank, whatever that would mean.

I was very relieved that "Skye is going to die" wasn't ever really on the table for us in the episode. I mean, yeah, she was in a really bad way, and THEY thought she was going to die. But for the viewers the question was "Of course they are going to save Skye, but how?" and then "And what are the ramifications of using GH-235?"

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #30
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Given the ludicrosity of the acronym S.H.I.E.L.D., I'm dying to know what T.A.H.I.T.I. stands for.
Terrible Acronyms Have Inscrutable Teasers Inside

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote