TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
rabidx

Hard Drive Duplicator, example: AHDDUB100

Does anyone know if using a drive duplicator,such as the Aluratek External SATA Portable External Hard Drive Duplicator AHDDUB100, would work in replicating the existing internal TIVO drive?

Thanks
rabidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
unitron

That's a lot of money to spend to avoid using a computer to do it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That's a lot of money to spend to avoid using a computer to do it.
So spend less money.

I have this one:
http://serialgear.com/serialgear_usb...cats=111,99202

I have used it for connecting to two disks at once, but I didn't try cloning with it. It hosted my NAS drives and a DVD-burner while the enclosures were "up on the rack" and I just used it to check that the new 2TB drive for my Premiere is OK.

It seems to me that it has to do a bit-level copy so it should work if you use two of the same model drives, and even could work if if you have two drives of the same sizes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSX-COPY11.jpg (43.4 KB, 23 views)
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
So spend less money.

I have this one:
http://serialgear.com/serialgear_usb...cats=111,99202

I have used it for connecting to two disks at once, but I didn't try cloning with it. It hosted my NAS drives and a DVD-burner while the enclosures were "up on the rack" and I just used it to check that the new 2TB drive for my Premiere is OK.

It seems to me that it has to do a bit-level copy so it should work if you use two of the same model drives, and even could work if if you have two drives of the same sizes.

Or you could just use "dd" and spend the money on beer.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
rallykeeper

Anyone ever figure out if this works?

A cheap option by Calvary showed up on NewEgg today and I'd been looking for a drive dock in any event for other purposes.

If I could get the drive duplicator to also help out with a TiVo hard drive upgrade and transfer, that would be be an added benefit.

I'm willing to be a guinea pig with this device, unless someone tells me that it shouldn't even work in theory.

I'd like to both copy an existing TiVo Premiere drive to a larger drive. I'm guessing the size growth is an issue, but thought I'd ask.
rallykeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
mr.unnatural

Quote:

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Resist

What about this one? http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-eSATA...8972445&sr=8-1

Or this.

Cavalry Retriever Review
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Last edited by Resist : 10-18-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Guy Kuo

Quote:
Use dd FIRST

Then enjoy the beer.

Else, you might dd in the wrong direction and ..........
Old 10-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
rallykeeper

Any thoughts?

I'm an OS X user, don't have the time or inclination to build/borrow my own PC and for under $50, if it works, I'd rather use a disk duplicator.

I think a disk duplicator would also be a lot faster than weaKnees (there's no turnaround time shipping to my own house), and probably the same net cost.

If it doesn't work, I'll probably just use weaKnees.
rallykeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Webguideguy

Did anyone try this???
Webguideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webguideguy View Post
Did anyone try this???
Doesn't sound like it given that there are cheaper and better ways to do it. Also, if you were to just copy the drive, you wouldn't have the capability to expand the recording space. Tools like WinMFS, JMFS and MFSTools actually have the capability to add partitions for expanded recording space after you copy a drive to a larger drive. And on Tivos older than the Premieres, you can actually use a smaller image (typically 200MB-300MB) to create a Tivo drive directly without having to copy from one drive to the other.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
unitron

Does anybody know if the new Intel Macs will boot from the jmfs cd?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
jmbach

Quote:
Does anybody know if the new Intel Macs will boot from the jmfs cd?
I think it does but I'll check when I get home from work and post for sure.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
jmbach

FWIW jmfs boots up on my Macbook (C2D version) and recognizes drives. Have not tried to manipulate any drives yet. Had to burn a cd as I could not get it to boot off a USB stick.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Doesn't sound like it given that there are cheaper and better ways to do it. Also, if you were to just copy the drive, you wouldn't have the capability to expand the recording space. Tools like WinMFS, JMFS and MFSTools actually have the capability to add partitions for expanded recording space after you copy a drive to a larger drive. And on Tivos older than the Premieres, you can actually use a smaller image (typically 200MB-300MB) to create a Tivo drive directly without having to copy from one drive to the other.
Yes, but WinMFS will not copy drive A of a two drive setup to a new drive when the old drive is failing. And MFSTools is a pain in the neck.

I already have the Aluratek, just too chicken to try it.

So, has anyone tried it?
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
Yes, but WinMFS will not copy drive A of a two drive setup to a new drive when the old drive is failing. And MFSTools is a pain in the neck.

I already have the Aluratek, just too chicken to try it.

So, has anyone tried it?
The OP was not worried about a two-drive setup. In order to keep the new drive married to the second drive I suspect that the new drive would have to be an exact copy. There are several SW cloning programs that will do that (I use Clonezilla to clone my desktop drive) but many of them likely use DD as the underlying tool (like Clonezilla and MFSTools do). If you have the HW duplicator already, then try it and post the results.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
dougdingle
HD Tech

This (and many other tasks) would be made so much simpler if hard drive manufacturers provided a "Read Only" jumper on their drives, so there was zero risk of doing something bad to the original drive...
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #18
Elgato54

Quote:
This (and many other tasks) would be made so much simpler if hard drive manufacturers provided a "Read Only" jumper on their drives, so there was zero risk of doing something bad to the original drive...
That's the best new idea I have heard in a long time.
Elgato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
lessd

Quote:
Most computer bios can set a drive to read only, few people in the world need this.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #20
Worf

Never seen a BIOS that could do this. And while there are devices that can put a drive into read-only, they tend to be fairly expensive because they analyze all the commands going to the drive and only fail the writes (they're made for law enforcement when they image drives to guarantee the evidence has not been tampered with).

Though, if you're using dd, it's easier to dd to a file then dd the file to the new drive. This way if you do it backwards, no harm done (you have a big empty file), and can dd again. And once you dd it back, you can save the file as a backup.

Oh, and a Mac can do this quite easily - being that it's a Unix system under the hood. I think OS X even has dd. The disk naming changes to /dev/diskN and partitions being /dev/diskNsM (using the BSD nomenclature where partitions are known as "slices"). Disk Utility can identify the right dev node.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Never seen a BIOS that could do this. And while there are devices that can put a drive into read-only, they tend to be fairly expensive because they analyze all the commands going to the drive and only fail the writes (they're made for law enforcement when they image drives to guarantee the evidence has not been tampered with).

Though, if you're using dd, it's easier to dd to a file then dd the file to the new drive. This way if you do it backwards, no harm done (you have a big empty file), and can dd again. And once you dd it back, you can save the file as a backup.

Oh, and a Mac can do this quite easily - being that it's a Unix system under the hood. I think OS X even has dd. The disk naming changes to /dev/diskN and partitions being /dev/diskNsM (using the BSD nomenclature where partitions are known as "slices"). Disk Utility can identify the right dev node.
My BIOS has a write protect check box that I never used and just assumed that if I checked that box the drive could not be written to. I have a Asus motherboard P6TD with AMI BIOS.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #22
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
FWIW, I just used the StarTech duplicator to copy my original Premier drive onto a new 2TB drive and then used JMFS Live to expand and supersize the drive. Worked great.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
FWIW, I just used the StarTech duplicator to copy my original Premier drive onto a new 2TB drive and then used JMFS Live to expand and supersize the drive. Worked great.
Any disk copy system that does a bit for bit copy will work, as long as it does not anything to the target disk.