TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #151
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The show does not warrant multiple threads. It's not a deep show with lots of compelling content worthy of discussion. And people by nature will binge watch it in non-standard chunks.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #152
sharkster

I agree that one thread, per season, seems sufficient.

Granted, this is an unusual circumstance, what with a show releasing an entire season of episodes at one time. But it seems like people have been good about hiding spoilery type stuff.

I would agree with somebody who mentioned it would be helpful to preface a spoiler with something like the episode # or 'finale', etc. I didn't do that, but IIRC I did preface my spoiler with the fact that I had just finished watching the season. I imagine that would be enough to indicate that the spoilers within were up to and including the finale.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #153
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post

Actually, it is a great idea that cannot fail. At worst, you end up with all the discussion in the last thread. Which is the same as what we have now with only one thread. But most likely you will have some discussion in the first two threads, which would then be an improvement for those people who cannot watch all the episodes within a week or so.
Exactly this.

It gives the non bingers some chance at participating.

I think using spoiler tags in the thread is especially bad for discussion because they're not viewable for Android forum runner users, it makes quoting more difficult, and people often don't note which episode they're talking about so you can't read them until you finish the show anyway.

Also for the "the current system works great" folks, please note that I wrote quite a bit about the show which has been summarily ignored. That's what single season threads mean for people who can't watch the whole thing immediately. It works great FOR YOU. It sucks for the rest of us.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #154
Hank
AC•FTW

But if someone watches episodes 4-8 and wants to talk about it, they can only open the eps 1-5 thread in order to avoid spoilers in the 5-9 thread. By the time they may watch the rest of the eps in the 5-9 thread, all the "good" discussion has already taken place, so they're just "catching up" or responding to posts/discussions that are "old" by everyone else's relative timeline, or they are told "we've already hashed that out in the eps 10-13 thread, because of <spoiler> in ep 10. People aren't going to change their viewing habits just to conform to the TCF threads.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #155
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Also for the "the current system works great" folks, please note that I wrote quite a bit about the show which has been summarily ignored. That's what single season threads mean for people who can't watch the whole thing immediately. It works great FOR YOU. It sucks for the rest of us.
I don't see how multiple threads would fix that problem. That's a timing problem not a "thread" problem. If you watch and post about an episode well after a majority of the people here who are watching it, you are not going to get the same level of conversation that you would get if everyone were watching it at about the same time. It's an issue with the way Netflix releases their shows.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #156
JohnB1000

I think House of Cards was more popular in general yet it's attempt at show threads failed.

I don't see how you can just want it a certain way and it's going to be that way. Threads develop naturally. If people want episode threads they will post them and they will live or die. Clearly that was not the case here.

I agree with Azlen, episode threads does not help with late-watching posts getting ignored. They probably make it worse.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #157
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
If people want episode threads they will post them and they will live or die.
This is pretty much how I feel. Who cares? Don't like them? Use the forums ignore thread function.

For this circumstance, I prefer one whole season thread.
But it would help if spoilers were tagged in some way so that non-bingers don't have to wait until they finish the show to read them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #158
ElJay

Instead of all this meta-discussion, can we just create another thread and put "spoilers" in the title?
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #159
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
But if someone watches episodes 4-8 and wants to talk about it, they can only open the eps 1-5 thread in order to avoid spoilers in the 5-9 thread.
That's absurd. Obviously they will just watch episode 9 and then post in the 5-9 thread.

I don't know why this simple concept is so confusing to you.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #160
john4200

Quote:
Some people here seem to have a hard time seeing things from anyone else's point of view.

By the way, I am not advocating starting 3 threads for season 1 of this show. That train has already left the station, and there is nothing we can do now.

But for next season (or for other Netflix shows like this), I suggest that people with viewing habits like you try to create the threads for the first and middle episodes as soon as possible, and I expect things will work out okay once everyone sees how that goes. I will try to do the same, but I am less motivated since I tend to watch all the episodes in a few days.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #161
JohnB1000

Quote:
Some people here seem to have a hard time seeing things from anyone else's point of view.
You honestly don't see the ridiculous irony in that statement
Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #162
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
You honestly don't see the ridiculous irony in that statement
Actually, I see that you think there is irony in that statement, and I see why you think that, and I see why you are having trouble understanding the actual situation. Hopefully you will do better next time.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #163
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

What I don't understand is who it hurts to have multiple threads.

If you watch 1-8 in one sitting just go post in the episode eight thread. No one's complaining about talking about earlier episodes in later threads.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #164
john4200

Quote:
What I don't understand is who it hurts to have multiple threads.

If you watch 1-8 in one sitting just go post in the episode eight thread. No one's complaining about talking about earlier episodes in later threads.
I guess some people think that having multiple threads will diffuse the discussion too much and that there will consequently be less discussion.

That is why I suggest having three spoiler threads (beginning, middle, and end) for a 13 episode show like this. It is a compromise between having 13 threads and having only 1 thread.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #165
Azlen

There's nothing preventing anyone from starting episode threads. If you want them, start them.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #166
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I fully intend to for season 2. John4200 and I will have lots of quality time. :-D
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #167
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I fully intend to for season 2. John4200 and I will have lots of quality time. :-D
We tried it for House of Cards and it didn't work. I'm not opposed to trying it again. It's just that very few people watch one episode at a time. Then, when they go to discuss a specific episode after having seen subsequent ones, it's very difficult to remember what happened in what episode and they will post spoilers.

I don't think there is a good solution either way.

This thread is the worst of both worlds. It's not single episode based and, people can't discuss the whole series without spoilering their text.

We need to have one or the other. If we are going to be able to discuss the whole show, then we need to be able to do it without worrying about spoilers.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #168
midas
I heard that

I prefer threads where we actually talk about the show rather than about how many threads to have about a show. But hey, that's just me.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #169
jcondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
I prefer threads where we actually talk about the show rather than about how many threads to have about a show. But hey, that's just me.
I just finished season one this morning. I avoided opening this thread till I was done. I didn't want to see spoilers. I figured with 5 pages there must be some show discussion going on.

But instead it is just discussion on how a thread or threads should be setup.

I really enjoyed the show and thought it would be interesting to discuss it and ask some questions about it.

Seems like it would just be simpler to have 1 thread with spoilers for season 1 do not open till done or risk seeing spoilers vs trying to accommodate everyone unique viewing habits.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #170
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondon View Post
I just finished season one this morning. I avoided opening this thread till I was done. I didn't want to see spoilers. I figured with 5 pages there must be some show discussion going on.

But instead it is just discussion on how a thread or threads should be setup.

I really enjoyed the show and thought it would be interesting to discuss it and ask some questions about it.

Seems like it would just be simpler to have 1 thread with spoilers for season 1 do not open till done or risk seeing spoilers vs trying to accommodate everyone unique viewing habits.
There is a lot more to these 5 pages than just a discussion about how the thread should be set up. Read the first 4 pages (and the stuff in the posts that say "spoiler" on them and you will get some great info, opinions and discussions on the show.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #171
sharkster

Can't we all just get along?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #172
Goober96

What difference, at this point, does it make? You people take this stuff way too seriously. If you want a thread, create it. If you don't want to read it, don't. Pretty simple.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #173
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Can't we all just get along?
Spoiler:
No

| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #174
sharkster

LMAO, Dan

Figured it was worth a try when I suddenly found myself channeling Rodney King.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #175
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not going to use spoiler blocking anymore.

I was quite amused by Crazy Eyes's very prim and proper white parents. Also, often when Crazy Eyes was "talking crazy" she was usually quoting Shakespeare. Funny stuff.

As I said upthread, I did find quite a few of the subplots were the same that were on Oz, but there are only a limited amount of "prison" stories.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #176
jcondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
There is a lot more to these 5 pages than just a discussion about how the thread should be set up. Read the first 4 pages (and the stuff in the posts that say "spoiler" on them and you will get some great info, opinions and discussions on the show.
I just finished clicking through all the spoilers here and you are right there is more. Just very disjointed and doesn't flow well.

I might try to go back through later find what I wanted to respond to.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #177
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondon View Post
I just finished clicking through all the spoilers here and you are right there is more. Just very disjointed and doesn't flow well.

I might try to go back through later find what I wanted to respond to.
Yeah, I think it will go a lot better if we can cut the spoiler tags. Glad you went back and checked it out.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #178
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I'm not going to use spoiler blocking anymore.

I was quite amused by Crazy Eyes's very prim and proper white parents. Also, often when Crazy Eyes was "talking crazy" she was usually quoting Shakespeare. Funny stuff.

As I said upthread, I did find quite a few of the subplots were the same that were on Oz, but there are only a limited amount of "prison" stories.
I agree, trying to read with spoiler tags is awful.

I can't wait to see more background on Crazy Eyes.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #179
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Spoiler:
No
Please specify the episode that your spoiler refers to.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #180
danterner
Not it!

Quote:

Please specify the episode that your spoiler refers to.
Spoiler:
No

| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote