TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #121
JohnB1000

Just read a short article in EW and it made me realize something that is totally obvious but I overlooked.

There are relatively few shows that star women, even fewer with predominantly female casts. But this show is almost all women and has all kinds of women, transgender, gay, straight, black, white, young, old, thin, fatter yet somehow almost none of them are cliche's and all have a depth (all except Piper I would argue )

Interestingly the actress who played Taystee went to Julliard.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #122
Marc

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMen2003 View Post
Checking most of the actresses IMDB info, most of them haven't been in many television productions which makes their acting even better to me .
I'm very impressed by Uzo Aduba, the actress who played "Crazy Eyes".
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #123
sharkster

I just finished last night. Wow, interesting (but not that surprising really) ending.

Spoiler:
Glad it was Pennsatucky who went down. Not just because I didn't want the main character getting the knife, but because I hated the Pennsatucky character so much.

I, too, wanted to see more by the time it ended. Looking forward to how that comes out!

I really like Red. Couldn't stand that creepy little Pennsatucky. yick! Loved how they did backstories, spread out over the season, of different characters.

Mendez = uber-creepy. Well played.

Looking forward to S02. Hope it's not a year wait.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #124
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

Mendez = uber-creepy. Well played.
I didn't place him at all while watching this, but he's the same actor who played Nick Sobotka on The Wire:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by danterner : 08-03-2013 at 02:20 PM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #125
ElJay

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this show. The cast was great. I know a couple of good people who work in a prison, and based on what they've said about the people who generally work there, the portrayal here of the guards and administration (as bumbling ****ing idiots) was spot on. The only terrible thing about the show was the absolutely dreadful title sequence; both the images and the song-- ugh! At least it was easy to skip.

The character Healy did give me a bit of whiplash.
Spoiler:
I mean the "unrequited love" angle that has been mentioned in this thread makes sense-- but to the point of letting her get murdered? That's rather insane.

ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #126
doom1701
I blue myself!

I'm surprised there hasn't been more complaints about the title sequence--yeah, it sucks. I skip it every time--the images just don't work and the music is jarring.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #127
danterner
Not it!

I never grew to like the title sequence as a whole, but the title song did grow on me. I went from hating it to actually liking it.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #128
mooseAndSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I never grew to like the title sequence as a whole, but the title song did grow on me. I went from hating it to actually liking it.
Yeah, I like Regina Spektor.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #129
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I started the book the other day after watching season 1. I am enjoying the book, although it is different than the show.

Without giving anything away... It is actually quite different than the show. Some of the names are different but you can still tell who some of them are. Other's the names are the same, but things from the show haven't happened, and vice versa.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #130
MzLoretta

I'll give the series a try and report back. Good review so far .... and I won't read the spoilers, or spoil my review.
MzLoretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #131
dthmj
Hinky

I liked the opening music - but didn't really care for the scenes.

But I also love Regina Spektor.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #132
GoPackGo

Was Mendez thinking of Marty Feldman?

GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #133
Hank
AC•FTW

I also hate the title sequence. Watching on AppleTV, I automatically skip to 1:20 to start the program.

The closing song for one of the episodes is a harsh rap song called: "I DON'T GIVE A F**K" which my g/f is absolutely obsessed with!
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #134
JohnB1000

I watched and listened to every opening sequence. Loved the song and couldn't tell you the first thing about the images.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #135
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I also hate the title sequence. Watching on AppleTV, I automatically skip to 1:20 to start the program.
+1

I don't have AppleTV, but I do just hit the FF till I see the wall again.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #136
brettatk
If I Only Knew

The first couple of episodes I didn't have any problem Fast Forwarding on my Tivo to skip the intro. After that I was unable to Fast Forward any longer. The song actually started to grow on me.

I finished up the first season last night. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to season 2! Which I guess will not be available until next Summer?
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #137
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Can people please give some indication what their spoiler is about, which episode seems to be the most useful. I don't want to open one's for stuff I haven't seen yet.
+1

I'll say it again: I really hate full season threads. I hate them for regular shows, but at least there you can read up to the air date. For shows like this (and house of cards) it completely ruins the discussion for me.

I waited until I finished to come into the thread (despite being told spoiler tags were in use) and I'm glad I did. It would have been impossible to follow.

But that means it's been a couple of weeks since I started (some of us have lives and families and can't just devote a weekend to it) so I've forgotten most of what I wanted to discuss and what episode it happened in.

A few notes:

Spoiler:
Wow. I started out a huge fan of the guard/inmate affair. They were both so smitten and adorable together. That changed quick. He really couldn't see what she sacrificed to try to protect him? What a jackass. There is no way the baby would go to Mendez. They said it a hundred times: having sex with an inmate makes him a sex offender! The baby would go to one of her relatives. If there are any who aren't incarcerated, that is.

He pulled it together some at the end. Can't wait to see where that goes next season.

Healy confused me at first, but I agree: he saw Chapman as "better", "different", "like me" and that all shattered when he learned she was "just like the rest of them".

Crazy Eyes asking why they called her that was heartbreaking. And how about her with her parents?!

I really really hate Tiffany. So much so that I am fully in Chapman's corner. Looking at her teeth is painful. What is it they say? There's no zealot like a convert?

I can't decide how I feel about Larry. He's been incredibly selfish and naive exploiting Piper's incarceration for his professional gain. But he's also been caught completely off guard by all of this. He's trying, he just screws up a lot.

Mendez in love is a riot.

Tasty's quick turnaround is heartbreaking. So screwed up. And the speech her friend gave her? Damn.

Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #138
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Couldn't stand that creepy little Pennsatucky. yick! .
I really liked that character. I really liked how bat s**t crazy she was. Of course I liked crazy eyes too until she became a sympathetic character. I guess I just like crazy.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #139
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I'll say it again: I really hate full season threads. I hate them for regular shows, but at least there you can read up to the air date. For shows like this (and house of cards) it completely ruins the discussion for me.

I waited until I finished to come into the thread (despite being told spoiler tags were in use) and I'm glad I did. It would have been impossible to follow.

But that means it's been a couple of weeks since I started (some of us have lives and families and can't just devote a weekend to it) so I've forgotten most of what I wanted to discuss and what episode it happened in.
The biggest problem with the way Netflix releases their shows is that it makes it incredibly difficult to talk with someone about the show unless you are watching at the same time. Whether it is online, at the workplace or at a social gathering, everybody who is watching the show is at a different place and it limits conversation about the show. You would think that could have a limiting effect on the size of the audience but Netflix isn't releasing any viewership numbers so it's tough to truly know. I think they would do better by spacing out the release dates on the episodes a bit but they seem to think it's successful, so I doubt we'll see a change but who knows.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #140
john4200

I think the best solution for something like this is to create spoiler threads for several episodes at a time, say 4 or 5 episodes.

Single episode threads are probably not the best choice, since many people watch several episodes in a sitting and it becomes difficult to remember what happened in each episode so as to post in the right thread.

But a full season thread also has problems, as already mentioned in this thread.

For a 13-episode season like this, we could start 3 different spoiler threads, say episodes 1-5, 6-9, 10-13. Or maybe overlap them to help with not remembering exactly which episode something occurred: 1-5, 5-9, 9-13

Last edited by john4200 : 08-08-2013 at 02:17 AM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #141
JohnB1000

I enjoyed this thread. I watched over two weeks and popped in here regularly. These serial of major spoilers though.

I like the groups idea. One person could create all the threads up front. Something like

EP1
EP2-5
EP6-9
EP10-12
Finale and full season

The biggest problem would be keeping track of what will things actually happened in.

Full season with strict spoilering with episode tags is good though if the rules are followed.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #142
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
I like the groups idea. One person could create all the threads up front. Something like

EP1
EP2-5
EP6-9
EP10-12
Finale and full season
I think that is too many threads. You will probably end up with people all posting in the last two threads so that they do not accidentally post a spoiler in an earlier one.

I still think a total of three threads per season (with one episode overlap) is probably the best compromise: 1-5, 5-9, 9-13
Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #143
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I still think one thread. And with this one it worked pretty well for me at least, with the spoilers.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #144
JohnB1000

To be clear I was happy with and prefer one, well managed, thread.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #145
Hank
AC•FTW

I doubt multiple threads will work.i have no idea what happened in what episode. We might watch four or five episodes at a time, which would most certainly overlap the threads, so it would be really hard to remember what happened in each episode to know which thread to properly post in.

Also, every time there's any kind of posting problem on TCF, the answer always seems to be "more threads!" which I think rarely actually works.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #146
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought the spoiler idea was a good one. I didn't mind it and didn't feel it was difficult.

Suggestion may be that for a show like this - where all the episodes are available at once that we wait maybe 90 from when it comes out to NOT have to use the spoiler/hidden comments (we could talk about it right away, just use the spoiler thing) or put spoiler in the title.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #147
john4200

Quote:
I doubt multiple threads will work.i have no idea what happened in what episode. We might watch four or five episodes at a time, which would most certainly overlap the threads, so it would be really hard to remember what happened in each episode to know which thread to properly post in.
Of course it would work. At least, work better than having a discussion entirely in spoiler tags, with people asking others to specify which episode each spoiler tag belongs to.

This is not rocket science. If we had three spoiler threads (beginning, middle, end) for this show, then people who wanted to discuss it but have not seen all the episodes yet and are concerned about spoilers would simply wait until they have watched the first 5 episodes before looking at the first thread. Then watch the next 4, look at the middle thread, then watch the last episodes, then look at the last thread. This solves the problem for those people who cannot watch all the episodes in a short period of time but who still want to discuss them before they are done.

For people who do watch all the episodes in a week or less, they can just go directly to the last thread (if they cannot remember which episode something happened in). Or they can look at each thread and post in the appropriate one if they can remember. Of course, if others have already posted in the earlier threads, there is less need to remember if you are just replying to something already mentioned.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #148
Hank
AC•FTW

In theory sure, but in reality, it's a bad idea that will fail.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #149
john4200

Quote:
In theory sure, but in reality, it's a bad idea that will fail.
Actually, it is a great idea that cannot fail. At worst, you end up with all the discussion in the last thread. Which is the same as what we have now with only one thread. But most likely you will have some discussion in the first two threads, which would then be an improvement for those people who cannot watch all the episodes within a week or so.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #150
Hank
AC•FTW

Yay! MOAR THREADS!