TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #91
mooseAndSquirrel

I really enjoyed this season. I consider it one of the best dramas I've seen in a while. I'm only sorry I binged watched it. It's going to be a long wait until season 2.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #92
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Following them on Twitter. You get some cute things and funny dialogue. @OITNB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #93
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
When I heard Laura Prepon was in it, I was hoping for some Hot Donna nudity, but so far no good.
Isn't she topless right at the start of episode one?
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #94
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
Possibly. If so, I missed it. I don't think she has been since then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #95
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
Quote:
Possibly. If so, I missed it. I don't think she has been since then.
I don't think she is even in episode 1 is she?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #96
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
sup scott? how u doin man?

love this show imo - definitely a fun watch
I'm good, dude.. how you been?

I have 4 episodes left to watch (been out of town, so i'm waiting until I'm home to watch with the wife). Love this show.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #97
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I don't think she is even in episode 1 is she?
Here is a (cropped) picture from the 16sec mark of S01E01:
Spoiler:

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #98
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Here is a (cropped) picture from the 16sec mark of S01E01:
Spoiler:

Exactly.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #99
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
I also feel that it's such a shame this is not getting that much buzz, many people will not watch it because they simply haven't heard of it or ignored it.
Netflix says that Orange Is the New Black had better first-week ratings than any of their previous originals.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #100
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
My thoughts -

Spoiler:
I think Larry was a dick for revealing all those 'stories' on the radio. They should have had a rule - what happens in prison, stays in prison.
Spoiler:
I think they must have had some sort of implicit agreement like that, but Larry is so needy for attention and "success" (i.e. "Nachus") when he was put on the spot on the radio show, he *really* wanted to make a name for himself, so he told all these "disconnected" stories (in the sense that they were just stories to him, not real people). So yeah, he was a dick about it, but he had a lot of pressure on him to disclose at least some of them on the radio without really thinking about the consequences.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #101
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I really liked this monologue from Piper. I'm putting it in spoiler tags to appease the spoiler nazis, but really, it's not a spoiler.

Spoiler:
I just got to this part. I have to admit, that is pretty much how I feel! Her monologue stated my beliefs in a nice, concise way!

Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #102
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Watched the first two last night and enjoyed them - ep 2 better than the first. Looking forward to binge-watching over the next few days!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #103
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
I just got to this part. I have to admit, that is pretty much how I feel! Her monologue stated my beliefs in a nice, concise way!
I have to admit, I expect no less from the entertainment industry.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #104
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjf8 View Post
I'm good, dude.. how you been?

I have 4 episodes left to watch (been out of town, so i'm waiting until I'm home to watch with the wife). Love this show.
i'm insane doing a major house remodel...i need to win a poker tourney to pay for it all lol....

u will love last 4 eps, especially the finale.
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #105
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Wow, what an ending.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #106
doom1701
I blue myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post
A review of the book from 2010 is in Slate. The reviewer isn't kind to the the real Piper mostly for not being regretful over what happened to her.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double...in_prison.html
If I were going to look at the show as something I'd take meaning away from, I'd criticize the show for the same reason. No remorse from anyone for their crimes. So far I've only seen one character admit that what she did was wrong.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #107
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Piper's crime was like 10 years before her prison stay, wasn't it. She has probably already made peace with the fact that she was young and dumb back then. She had turned her life around by the time she went to prison. She knows it was wrong, but why rehash something she can't change. She turned herself in. She knows she did the crime and now she's doing the time.

Also, showing remorse might make them look weak to the other prisoners (or they may think it would make them look weak.) In a place where you cannot show weakness or you will be taken advantage of, maybe they hide their remorse and put on a bad-ass image.

ETA:

Some of the others don't see what they did as wrong. That is their way of life.

Spoiler:
Crazy meth mouth girl knows that anytime you are disrespected, you have to end that person. She believes she is doing God's work.

Tastee did her time and left. She realized she couldn't make it on the outside, so she did something else to come back.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #108
JohnB1000

She didn't turn herself in, that was one of the main points.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #109
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
She didn't turn herself in, that was one of the main points.
Not for the crime, but for the time. She surrendered herself at the prison.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #110
Hank
AC•FTW

It's not like she really had a choice. Wouldn't they have come after her and/or issued an arrest warrant if she didn't show up?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #111
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
It's not like she really had a choice. Wouldn't they have come after her and/or issued an arrest warrant if she didn't show up?
Correct. She did not have a choice. But my point is, she is 10 years removed from committing the crime, and has changed her ways. She did not continue with a life of crime or go on the run.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #112
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
As for Tastee -
Spoiler:

I felt sorry for her. She got totally lost in a system that should have been watching out for her. Placed in some transitional housing and a job at a library would have been a good new start.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #113
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Only three episodes in and liking it a lot more than expected.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #114
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Rewatching the final 3. I missed some stuff first time around.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #115
sharkster

I finally started last night. I watched the first 3 eps. I have to say that, had I not heard great things, I might not have gone past ep 01. I thought the first episode was bad in the strangest way - just off kilter and luggish. But 02 was better and 03 was better than 02, so I'm sticking with it.

Technically speaking - I don't know if it was the Netflix app or just something different with my Premiere since the last update, but I went out of the room for just a few minutes after E01 ended and when I came back in to continue on I had a black screen. I couldn't do anything except turn the TV off and then back on and get back into Netflix all over again. But it didn't happen the next two times so it must just toss you out if you don't do anything for a few minutes (I was probably gone 5 minutes).
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #116
danterner
Not it!

I finished watching last night. I really enjoyed this!

Regarding Healey:

Spoiler:
I don't think Healey's character changed over the course of the series; I think it was just slowly revealed. Neither do I think he had an "anti-lesbian agenda," particularly. Rather, he was a spurned unrequited-lover. He fixates on people who do not love him. We are shown this with his mail-order bride. She obviously is not with him out of love, and he knows this. When Piper enters the prison, he fixates on her, too. He puts her up on a pedestal and sees her as someone else he can save. She is smarter and gentler and more vulnerable than the other prisoners. She needs him. He'll protect her. The more she integrates into the prison, the more she finds her footing, the less she needs him, and so the more hostile he becomes toward her. The tipping point, for him, is reading Larry's article in the Times. She actually has someone waiting for her on the outside who loves her enough to feel like he is imprisoned with her; "One sentence, two prisoners." It's a blow to his heart. It marks the first time he's mean to her - he shows her the article but tosses it in the trash and spills coffee on it; he's a lover spurned. Piper's growing connection with Vauss is yet another blow to his heart. It's not the lesbian aspect of the relationship that so hurts him; it's the fact that Piper has found strength in a relationship with a lover who is not him. The fact that it's a lesbian relationship is just an excuse he uses to mask his jealousy. Piper coming to him to request his permission to marry Larry is almost more than he can take. There's pretty much nothing more hurtful she could have done to him. He bitterly tells her no, and then later when he sees the showdown with Pennsatucky he turns a blind eye because if he can't have Piper, then nobody can.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 07-29-2013 at 08:46 AM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #117
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I finished watching last night. I really enjoyed this!

Regarding Healey:

Spoiler:
The tipping point, for him, is reading Larry's article in the Times. She actually has someone waiting for her on the outside who loves her enough to feel like he is imprisoned with her; "One sentence, two prisoners." It's a blow to his heart.
Perfect analysis. I hadn't caught that as the tipping point, but now reading it, it makes sense.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #118
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I enjoyed it, but the season had a lot of ups and downs. I felt the first 4 episodes set up a promise that wasn't fully delivered. Still, certainly glad I watched it.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #119
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Finished this the other night. I really enjoyed it. When they cut at the end of the last episode I was so ready to watch another to see what happened.

And in mentioning the characters and actors I gotta say that I really like Natasha Lyonne in this.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #120
FireMen2003

I just ran through the episodes in the last week or so. Great show.

Checking most of the actresses IMDB info, most of them haven't been in many television productions which makes their acting even better to me .
FireMen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote