Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #61
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Kate Mulgrew is awesome in this. Just started episode 3
Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #62
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Going home after a really really long day at work to watch the final two episodes. I think it is pizza night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #63
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Wow. what a great show, great acting and can't wait for season two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #64
JohnB1000

Also watching the last two this evening. I've generally found Mulgrew to be the weakest, mainly due to her fake accent I think.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #65
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I just watched the first 3 episodes Wednesday night and I am hooked! I like a few of the characters. Many of them seem to be decent people even though they are felons.

When I heard Laura Prepon was in it, I was hoping for some Hot Donna nudity, but so far no good.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #66
GTuck
ClownPrinceofCrime

Last episode of the season spoilers below.

Spoiler:
How do you guys think season 2 will play out? I was thinking about it last night, does Piper kill the meth head? Maybe, maybe not. Does Piper get sent to a different prison? Does she just get a few years added on? It may have been better if they had gotten married then this happened, then she had a few more years added on.

GTuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #67
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTuck View Post
Last episode of the season spoilers below.

Spoiler:
How do you guys think season 2 will play out? I was thinking about it last night, does Piper kill the meth head? Maybe, maybe not. Does Piper get sent to a different prison? Does she just get a few years added on? It may have been better if they had gotten married then this happened, then she had a few more years added on.
My thoughts -

Spoiler:
I just watched this last episode last night. How can they play it out? She leave the meth head jesus lover there in the snow and only her and Healey will know that it was her. He would be able to hold that over her for the whole next season.

Of course there wouldn't have been so much drama, but Larry and Piper maybe should have gotten married. Even before her going in. I think he would be more understanding of her if he was able to get some conjugal visits. And she would have been happier and less needing of Alex (someone to touch her). I think Larry was a dick for revealing all those 'stories' on the radio. They should have had a rule - what happens in prison, stays in prison.

The whole thing with the prison guards (or guards) and the hispanic girl is an interesting story line. What a mess.

This has been a great season and I think they did a good job of slowly getting us to care about the various inmates and their side stories.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #68
JohnB1000

My thoughts on the season overall

Spoiler:

Overall I really wish I had not read the "cliffhanger" spoiler above, I spent the whole of the last episode trying to figure it out but ultimately I wouldn't even call that a cliffhanger, the show could have ended right now and been a catalog of someone's slide into despair.

What I think was best about the show was that in the first few episodes a lot of characters seemed liked cliches but almost all of them turned out to not be what you expect. Ultimately the most cliched and uninteresting character was Piper, though that's often the case in shows with a main central character and lots of peripheral one's. I'd like to have seen and learned more about characters like Crazy Eye's and various others.

The only flaws for me were (1) Why use Kate Mulgrew as a Russian character, hire a Russian maybe ? (2) I thought Healy was really weak and inconsistent (as a character), at first he seemed nice and interesting but then became one dimensional and inconsistent right down to ignoring a potential murder, all because he has a "Lesbian Agenda".

It's a remarkable show that has left me at the perfect point of satisfaction, I am not depressed it's over (like GOT), I am not desperate to see more and wishing I hadn't binged, I am just satisfied and looking forward to the next season.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #69
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
About Healy and his 'agenda'.

Spoiler:
What the heck?? he doesn't seem to act like he does to Piper to all the other lesbians in the prison. I wonder if it's because he sees her as 'different'. WASP not 'hood.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #70
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
About Healy and his 'agenda'.

Spoiler:
What the heck?? he doesn't seem to act like he does to Piper to all the other lesbians in the prison. I wonder if it's because he sees her as 'different'. WASP not 'hood.
Spoiler:
Seems more likely to me he's a badly written character. I can accept him as his now but the change was so sudden. I suspect it's to do with the way she got one up on him so often. I think his wife is supposed to point to his motivations but it seems irrelevant.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #71
doom1701
I blue myself!

Just started watching. Captain Janeway, Donna from That 70's Show, and Dagny Taggert. Not to mention the Pie dude. Weird.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #72
Azlen

Cast spoiler for season 2

Spoiler:
Taryn Manning (Christian meth head) has been bumped up to series regular.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/orange-bla...210006238.html

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #73
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1701 View Post
Just started watching. Captain Janeway, Donna from That 70's Show, and Dagny Taggert. Not to mention the Pie dude. Weird.
No mention of Mrs Eminem ??
Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #74
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, I finished "binge watching" the whole thing yesterday (second of a two day binge), and I thought it was very well done for the most part. I agree that Healy seems to have gone through some changes, but I think there are a bunch of factors there (his deteriorating relationship with his "wife", Chapman's whole situation etc). Also, I'm pretty sure he REALLY wants to get it on with Chapman, but knows it won't happen.

Season 2 will definitely be interesting.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #75
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
My thoughts -

Spoiler:
I just watched this last episode last night. How can they play it out? She leave the meth head jesus lover there in the snow and only her and Healey will know that it was her. He would be able to hold that over her for the whole next season.

Of course there wouldn't have been so much drama, but Larry and Piper maybe should have gotten married. Even before her going in. I think he would be more understanding of her if he was able to get some conjugal visits. And she would have been happier and less needing of Alex (someone to touch her). I think Larry was a dick for revealing all those 'stories' on the radio. They should have had a rule - what happens in prison, stays in prison.

The whole thing with the prison guards (or guards) and the hispanic girl is an interesting story line. What a mess.

This has been a great season and I think they did a good job of slowly getting us to care about the various inmates and their side stories.
No conjugal visits in federal prisons - I think this was covered in episode 1.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #76
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I don't get a chance to binge watch shows much anymore (dang kids) let alone adult shows...but I managed to watch all 13 eps over the past two days. Woot!!

Do we know when Piper turned herself in? I was trying to gauge backwards from the holidays but was too lazy to rewatch eps once the question came to me.
Spoiler:
Basically, I was trying to figure out the timeline for the pregnancy. Didn't that girl come in at the same time as Piper? (Yeah, you'd think I'd be able to remember since I just saw it yesterday...) And time seems to go so slowly in each ep---I'm thinking how it feels like it could be weeks and then Piper would say "I haven't talked to Larry in a week." ANYWAY, if it wasn't that long, I was thinking the girl could have gotten pregnant beforehand...but obviously the timing was off because that would have been too easy.

I'm kinda sad that Piper has gone down the rabbit hole so quickly...but then, you do what you gotta do.

ETA spoiler tags. Sorry it was late and I was on my phone. And I'm one of those who thinks this thread should have spoilers. It's only 13 eps. Just finish watching before you read the thread. It's not like it's a Lost thread with 500 posts per ep in the first day.

Last edited by sushikitten : 07-21-2013 at 09:27 AM.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #77
JohnB1000

Did we give up on the spoiler tagging?
Old 07-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #78
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I have watched a bunch this weekend. I think I am on episode 9 or 10. I fell asleep during one last night so I need to rewatch it. I knew I should not have tried to squeeze in one more episode since I was so tired.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #79
steve614
what ru lookin at?

This show is really good. It is hard to NOT want to watch one episode after another.

At 2 am last light, I had to make myself stop watching and go to bed.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #80
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

OK. I want season 2 now. That was incredibly good.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #81
JohnB1000

FYI. here's the real Piper with the fake Piper. The Rolling Stone review kind of echoed my feelings. The supporting characters were a lot more interesting than her though that's the nature of a show like this

Old 07-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #82
JohnB1000

I also feel that it's such a shame this is not getting that much buzz, many people will not watch it because they simply haven't heard of it or ignored it.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #83
Hank
AC•FTW

I really liked this monologue from Piper. I'm putting it in spoiler tags to appease the spoiler nazis, but really, it's not a spoiler.

Spoiler:

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #84
JohnB1000

Passive aggressive much ? Of course that's a spoiler, it's a dramatic quote from the show and if you haven't seen it yet then it spoils it.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #85
Hank
AC•FTW

In the grand scheme of possible spoilers, it's really not a spoiler. It doesn't reveal any plot or theme or event in the show.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #86
MScottC

Hank, it's a spoiler...

Spoiler:
It speaks to the motivations of the main character, and why she can't go along with one of the other character's wishes.

MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #87
Hank
AC•FTW

But there's no indication of any plot or reveal of anyone's actions or events. And even if it were, it's an extremely minor point. Sheesh, you people must be real fun at parties.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #88
Hank
AC•FTW

I just found out that OitNB is based on the real life experiences of Piper Kerman

I wonder how many of the characters in the show mirror her real life prison-mates?

I guess I'd have to read her book.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #89
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

A review of the book from 2010 is in Slate. The reviewer isn't kind to the the real Piper mostly for not being regretful over what happened to her.

Quote:
Though by the tenets of the transgression memoir she must repent, in Kerman's case, the girl does not dig deep enough to come up with any genuine regret. She writes, "[T]he women I met in Danbury helped me confront the things I had done wrong, as well as the wrong things that I had done." This chest-beating rings false to the reader, because it's clear that Kerman believes drug trafficking was merely a version of youthful rebellion, and her only true crime is pushing people away—what she refers to as her "I-am-an-island-fortress method of dealing" with problems. The suspicion that she doesn't think her crime was so terrible is compounded by the cheeky "Free Piper" T-shirts sold on the Web site devoted to Kerman's plight. Instead, what Kerman seems to be after is a tidy narrative, not too messy or gritty for daytime talk shows but just difficult enough to be inspiring–prison lite?
http://www.slate.com/articles/double...in_prison.html

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #90
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I just found out that OitNB is based on the real life experiences of Piper Kerman

I wonder how many of the characters in the show mirror her real life prison-mates?

I guess I'd have to read her book.
You just found out ? What about the picture of the real one above

Regarding spoilers, how come it's our fault that you don't want to put the spoilers in tags ? (even though you did so you must really understand).