TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Madam Secretary "Pilot" (9/21/14) SPOILERS!

I thought it was interesting, especially since she's intent on being a rogue, and not an ass kisser. I may set up an SP when I get home.

Watched it live, so I missed some things. Who was killed in the car crash?

Apparently, Zeljko Ivanek is playing the same suck-up bureaucrat with an agenda that he usually does.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
SnakeEyes

George was killed. The guy that came to her house that night with evidence the former SoD's death was an inside job.

ANd I thought it was a pretty strong pilot. CBS must think so to to have it airing again after Good Wife
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
George was killed. The guy that came to her house that night with evidence the former SoD's death was an inside job.

ANd I thought it was a pretty strong pilot. CBS must think so to to have it airing again after Good Wife
Ah, okay. I missed some of the names of the characters. Didn't he know her from the CIA or something?

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
SnakeEyes

Yes. former co-worker
Old 09-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Yes. former co-worker
Thanks.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Well Téa Leoni has been one of my crushes since The Naked Truth, so I couldn't not watch. It seems pretty formulaic but obviously CBS believes in it: the sets and production values were really top-notch. I didn't expect to be wowed, and wasn't, but a solid, enjoyable show. I'll keep watching unless it really devolves.

Plus, you know, Téa Leoni!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

It's a keeper so-far.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:03 AM   #8
JETarpon

My guide had this after good wife, but instead I got CSI. Any idea why?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #9
SnakeEyes

Late football apparently caused the replay to get bumped.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #10
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Snarl. I haven't read the above spoilers. One half recorded last night. I had selected the second showing (after The Good Wife and, I think after the news) to be sure it was recorded, but WTSP chose to run an infomercial instead. I'm really POd.

Couldn't ABC make other accommodations for its shows that are shifted all over so people can watch it?

And finally, is there somewhere else I can find this and watch it?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
mr.unnatural

It's on CBS, not ABC. You can probably find it on Hulu or via torrent sites. They advertised that an encore presentation would follow The Good Wife, but the Seattle/Denver game ran into overtime and really threw everything off, which is probably why many of you got stuck watching infomercials instead.

I always pad my recordings by an hour on Sunday nights for anything on CBS. They will always air 60 Minutes right after the game and subsequent program start times will be skewed accordingly. I think Madame Secretary started playing about 45 minutes into the recording, IIRC.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

For me it started about 32 minutes late... just enough that a 30 minute bump would have missed the last few minutes :-/. I hadn't padded but luckily I happened to jump into live TV and realized 60 Minutes was still going, and quickly added some padding.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #13
ADG
Allan

My wife and I enjoyed it. If the writing holds up and they don't make her out to be superwoman, it should do well. Our favorite show of all time was The West Wing so we've been looking forward to an intelligent politically oriented series for a while. It's not Aaron Sorkin, but so far so good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
Cainebj

I enjoyed it and think it's a good companion show for The Good Wife. Barbara Hall - she did Judging Amy right? So it's basically Judging Amy in The White House.

I was kinda confused about the George character - when he first shows up at the house to tell her he thinks there is a conspiracy going on - had we seen him before that? It seemed like he showed up outta no where.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
andyw715

Other than reading this thread and seeing the promos, I haven't read much about this show.

But my first thought watching the promos was that this was going to be a 12-13 week infomercial to prop up Hillary Clinton.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I was kinda confused about the George character - when he first shows up at the house to tell her he thinks there is a conspiracy going on - had we seen him before that? It seemed like he showed up outta no where.
He was with her at the dinner when they found out the current secretary's plane went down.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #17
JETarpon

Quote:
Late football apparently caused the replay to get bumped.
I don't understand why the replay got bumped on the west coast. Late football doesn't affect us.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #18
laria
Librocubicularist

That's weird that the replay got bumped if the football doesn't affect you, but the original airing should have been ok, then, too?

I was surprised that the conspiracy guy from dinner got killed off. I thought he was a bit too big of an actor to be a red shirt... I thought he was going to be a regular character.

Last edited by laria : 09-22-2014 at 12:01 PM.
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #19
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
My guide had this after good wife, but instead I got CSI. Any idea why?
Ya me too. Bronco football went into overtime so I missed this show that I had been looking forward to.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #20
mr.unnatural

CBS prime time on Sunday nights require ample padding during football season. They're almost never aired on time. In fact, shows require padding any time they air a sporting event late in the day. There have been more than a few golf matches that ran over, causing shows to start later than scheduled. I actually stopped watching prime time CBS shows on Sunday nights back in the day when I used VCRs because I couldn't pad the recordings long enough at SP speed to record them consistently.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #21
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
I don't understand why the replay got bumped on the west coast. Late football doesn't affect us.
Apparently, the policy that "if something doesn't air in the east, then it doesn't air in the west either" applies to repeats as well as new episodes on CBS. (On Fox, if a repeat is scheduled for the east but not aired, it does air in the west; if it was a new episode, it is replaced with a repeat in the west.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #22
Gerryex

I'm not a very big fan of Téa Leoni but this show is the kind of show I usually like and I was quite pleased with it. And I have to give Téa Leoni some credit as she did a much better job than I expected her to do. And Zeljko Ivanek is always welcome.

One thing though. We often see something similar and it kind of bugs me. We have a genuinely altruistic boss (here POTUS) and he hires the most controlling egotistical and off-putting person to run the office (here the Chief of Staff). So the good boss hires someone similar to him and of course the new person instantly bangs heads with the office runner. What bugs me is why such as good boss would hire such a controlling bully who of course would stifle any others that actually want to do things the way the boss would do them.

But still a very nice first episode and I look forward to more of the same!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #23
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

the pilot was ok - the jury's still out for me, but i'll be giving it a lot of latitude...i trust cbs wouldn't put a dog in their sunday night schedule.

my issues - an overly adversarial relationship between the chief-of-staff and sos - it seemed a little over-the-top for senior staff. also, i can't see the sos having to beg for face time with the president during a crisis. her staff came across as comic relief for sake of the show, not how i would expect sos staff to behave.

add to this, they leaned really hard into their political agenda, it left me with a feeling they just wanted it out there, regardless of whether or not it fit the story.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #24
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
He was with her at the dinner when they found out the current secretary's plane went down.
Oh thanks - I'll check that out again tonight.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #25
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
also, i can't see the sos having to beg for face time with the president during a crisis.
Yes! This is related to my earlier comment where the COS is way too adversarial and way too limiting access to POTUS especially from one of his TOP cabinet members. But of course they have to generate some drama or real life would be boring!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #26
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
One thing though. We often see something similar and it kind of bugs me. We have a genuinely altruistic boss (here POTUS) and he hires the most controlling egotistical and off-putting person to run the office (here the Chief of Staff). So the good boss hires someone similar to him and of course the new person instantly bangs heads with the office runner. What bugs me is why such as good boss would hire such a controlling bully who of course would stifle any others that actually want to do things the way the boss would do them.
The thought may be that the "nice" boss needs a hatchet man or enforcer in that position.
Or it's foreshadowing that the President may not be as "nice" as we thought.

Still, I also found it difficult to believe that the Secretary of State would have that much trouble getting face time with the President considering that SOS is considered the number 1 Cabinet member.

It's not like she's the junior Undersecretary of Homeland Security.

In spite of that, I still liked the pilot and Leoni in the pilot so I'll watch more.
I also liked Tim Daly as her husband.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #27
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Apparently, the policy that "if something doesn't air in the east, then it doesn't air in the west either" applies to repeats as well as new episodes on CBS. (On Fox, if a repeat is scheduled for the east but not aired, it does air in the west; if it was a new episode, it is replaced with a repeat in the west.)
Interesting info about Fox.. I thought this might also have to do with the contract with the production companies...

They have only paid for "X" runs, and I presume that X is a *national* run. So if they run in the West but not the East (have no idea about the other time zones), then they effectively have done a "fractional" run, which would mess things up.

BTW, didn't more me, but didn't enthrall me. I liked it better when it was called "Commander in Chief". (Mostly kidding, that was about a female president, not Secretary of State.. But both of them seem to have it be the main plot point that it's a woman...)

Like I was last year, but even more so, I'm trying to try out new shows and nuke 'em ruthlessly to cut down the # of new shows I watch (still more than I can watch in a week..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #28
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
One thing though. We often see something similar and it kind of bugs me. We have a genuinely altruistic boss (here POTUS) and he hires the most controlling egotistical and off-putting person to run the office (here the Chief of Staff).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The thought may be that the "nice" boss needs a hatchet man or enforcer in that position.
Far more common than you think IRL. People at the top often surround themselves with people of dissimilar talents. If I'm a good guy, I don't need another good guy as my right hand. I need someone who can be the @sswhole.

Been there, done that.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #29
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Yes, I misspoke, it's CBS. Anyway, instead of fiddling with 3 hour padding, I chose to record the later episode (after The Good Wife) but CBS or my local station chose to run an infomercial.

I decided I'm not going to chase my tail on this one. I'll pick it up in a few years on Hulu. I have enough to watch right now.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #30
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Far more common than you think IRL. People at the top often surround themselves with people of dissimilar talents. If I'm a good guy, I don't need another good guy as my right hand. I need someone who can be the @sswhole.
Yeah, it's the same way on Scandal (no spoilers, just that the Chief of Staff is an enforcer type on that show, too).

And wasn't it kind of that way even in real life during Obama's first term? Mostly the Chief of Staff is someone that normal people have never heard of, but Rahm Emanuel and his style were pretty well known.