TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
gweempose

I finally broke down and bought a Roku 3 ...

Like many of you, I have been extremely frustrated by the fact that you can't access Amazon Prime content on the Premiere. I finally broke down and bought a Roku 3 the other day, and all I can say is ... OMG!!! The thing is so much better than the TiVo when it comes to accessing the various streaming services. I mean, it's not even close! The interface on the Roku is fast and responsive, and the streams load WAY faster. For only $100, the Roku is an absolute steal.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Even the $50 Roku LT is magnitudes better than a TiVo for streaming services.
I started with the Roku LT and quickly upgraded to the Roku XS because I wanted a wired connection and then I dove right into a Roku 3 when they hit the market.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
The thing is so much better than the TiVo when it comes to accessing the various streaming services. I mean, it's not even close!
It's pretty much Roku's entire business model at this point, so they had better be making devices that are top shelf at doing that!

Glad you like it!
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

In re TiVo and streaming, Samuel Clemens supposedly said, "The remarkable thing about a dancing bear is not that it dances well" . Of course many people in these forums drank the "One Box" Kool Aid and are pissed about how poorly it does these things. I had my Series 3 before they added all of those OTT apps and never got in the habit of using them; with PLS I paid twice what my Premiere cost and I was perfectly happy with it (and really should get around to selling it while it still has some value ).

Love my Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS. I also have a WD TV Live that I'm fond of (my favorite box for Netflix, as it has this stream info display that I really like).

(This thread probably belongs in the "TiVo Coffee House" forum, having little to do with the Premiere).

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
OCSMITH
VAWHEELS

The company was founded in October 2002, by ReplayTV founder Anthony Wood
1 Premier XL (For Sale) Lifetimed
1 TiVo Stream (For Sale)
3 Tivo Mini
3 Amazon FireTV
3 Roku 3
2 Boxee Box
OCSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
...having little to do with the Premiere
Well, since we're talking about something the Premiere should do...

I tried one of these, but Comca$t does 'not support' HBO Go on the Roku 3. So, it's gone. The Amazon Prime Instant worked really well, though.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
colin1497

It's annoying to have to, but I swap over to my Blu-ray player for amazon prime. I don't do it for netflix, but the netflix interface is smoother on the blu-ray player than on my premier.
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
compnurd

My Premiere is good at being a DVR
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
My Premiere is good at being a DVR
Even there it could use improvements- especially as it relates to the menu delays due to over-reliance on TiVo's Internet servers and poor hardware performance; and the inability to create custom folders. In any case, for traditional DVR functions, it is probably still the best out there.

But streaming is very important for TV consumption nowadays, and it is just going to get more important every year.

Personally, I don't want a TiVo that tries to be EVERYTHING. I don't want it to be a game console. Don't want it to be a web browser, a messaging platform, or VOIP device. Could care less about it displaying photos or playing music. But streaming video, playing video, storing video, hosting video, transferring video, finding and scheduling video... those are all very important even if some are not part of the traditional "DVR" role. And maybe I am in the minority, but I think all those services should use the same *TiVo* interface, style, and remote control experience. It shouldn't feel like three or four different "boxes" that are just strapped together.... otherwise, why not just do that.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
OCSMITH
VAWHEELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
Well, since we're talking about something the Premiere should do...

I tried one of these, but Comca$t does 'not support' HBO Go on the Roku 3. So, it's gone. The Amazon Prime Instant worked really well, though.
But it will do HBOGO on a Samsung TV with Comcast
1 Premier XL (For Sale) Lifetimed
1 TiVo Stream (For Sale)
3 Tivo Mini
3 Amazon FireTV
3 Roku 3
2 Boxee Box
OCSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
celtic pride

I bought a roku HD box about 3 or 4 years ago when they were one of the first to carry netflix and i loved it ! I thought about getting the roku 3 but i cancelled netflix a while back when they raised their prices to get blu rays and streaming to $16.99 a month. If i decide to get netflix again i 'll get the roku 3 for sure. I also wish tivo would just make a tivo 6 tuner DVR WITHOUT ANY APPS!!! ,Please just make a solid DVR without all the internet stuff,PLAY TO YOUR STRENTGHS!!!which is to make a solid performing dvr which is why i bought one in the first place!!!. For the last 3 years i keep getting v301 error every so often when i try to use pandora and espically rhaposdy, Oh and by the way roku is rumored to be adding rhapsody soon so i'wont ever use these apps on tivo again uinless TIVO fixes these problems!!!

Last edited by celtic pride : 05-04-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: bad spelling
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1497 View Post
It's annoying to have to, but I swap over to my Blu-ray player for amazon prime. I don't do it for netflix, but the netflix interface is smoother on the blu-ray player than on my premier.
Really? It's annoying? I just press a button on the remote a couple of times and my tv display switches from my Premiere to my Roku. It's really no different than changing channels, which is something I've been doing for decades and I have never thought of the process as annoying.

It just astounds me that so many people are so lazy and entitled that they whine about having to press a couple of buttons while sitting on their butts and expect people to accept it as a legitimate problem.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
atmuscarella

The only service I use my TiVos to "stream" is Pandora and that works well on my Premiere. What I do use my Premiere for is to down load pod casts and Amazon rentals and again it works well for that. I do use a HTPC some (mostly Hulu) but not that much and I have 5 streaming media only devices including 2 Rokus that I hardly use at all. Given what people have said about the Mini's performance if TiVo actually refreshes hardware this year I don't think there will be any real issues with what ever stream services they decide to provide.

My personal opinion is that new stand alone streaming devices have a very limited future. Almost all new TVs and blu-ray players have an apps package that is "good enough" for the majority of people and with a hardware refresh so should TiVo. Of course Apple TV will be fine because they sell you the content and people are locked into it, same for Google TV/android based streaming devices if they ever get their sh** together, and I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon doesn't put out there own box at some point just like they have with tablets.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
brewman

+1. You've got to press a few buttons to get to the various streaming apps on the Tivo too. How much different is that than pressing a couple buttons to change input devices on the TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Really? It's annoying? I just press a button on the remote a couple of times and my tv display switches from my Premiere to my Roku. It's really no different than changing channels, which is something I've been doing for decades and I have never thought of the process as annoying.

It just astounds me that so many people are so lazy and entitled that they whine about having to press a couple of buttons while sitting on their butts and expect people to accept it as a legitimate problem.

brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
My personal opinion is that new stand alone streaming devices have a very limited future. Almost all new TVs and blu-ray players have an apps package that is "good enough" for the majority of people and with a hardware refresh so should TiVo. Of course Apple TV will be fine because they sell you the content and people are locked into it, same for Google TV/android based streaming devices if they ever get their sh** together, and I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon doesn't put out there own box at some point just like they have with tablets.
So what you are saying is that Rokus are becoming superfluous to many. I was wondering about this and it seems logical to me. Does anybody disagree with this?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
scoobydooby

My house is full of Roku units - including a Streaming Stick in my LG. They are wife approved, and that is all that matters here. Yes, my LG has "smart" features, so does my BD player, PS3 and even my Google TV box - but none of them are as good as Roku.

The ability to set up accounts on the web makes them a whole lot easier to use than most smart devices.
scoobydooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #17
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I don't think that streaming STBs like Roku are going to disappear any time soon. There are tons of "legacy" televisions out there without OTT apps and they still make non-"Smart" TVs. Also, Roku has built some brand loyalty and people who have an enjoy them will probably continue to buy them.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
tcstoehr

I work in the A/V video streaming business and IMO TV and DVD players don't do a decent job of streaming and mostly do it to satisfy a "check box" of marketing functionality. I just upgraded my series-1 tivo for a premiere, and I have no plans to get rid of the roku. I now have a TV, a DVD player and a tivo box that all do netflix streaming. But the roku isn't going away any time soon.
tcstoehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
Mikeyed

Interesting discussion. I've been thinking about buying the Roku 3 instead of Tivo. It seems to get a good review, at least I found these two that recommend it.

Cnet

Top Gadget Reviews
Mikeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I have 10 devices in use which have Netflix players, 7 of them connected to this LCD panel: PS3, Xbox 360, Sony BDP, 2 Panasonic BDPs, TiVo Premiere, Roku 3, Roku 2 XS, WD TV Live and this PC (1080p and 5.1 sound in the Win8 app). Additionally my Android phone and tablet have player apps (which I never use) and my housemate/landlord watches Netflix and other video streaming on his iPad. There are Netflix players everywhere. None are technically better than the Rokus and none are faster than the Roku 3 (starts from the home menu in 4 seconds and starts streams in 2 or 3 seconds). The Rokus also have totally lag-free response to their RF remotes.

The Roku Netflix "channel" does lack some features that the common, PS3-style UI on most of the other have: "Just for Kids" UI, people search and the "Post-play Experience" (the common UI as implemented on TiVo doesn't have these things either); the tightly integrated search feature in the new Roku system UI makes people search moot, I don't have kids and though I've grown accustomed to the "post-play experience" (automatic play-the-next-TV-episode plus suggestions of similar TV or movies) I didn't like the idea at first and still think that it should be optional.

Rokus are a good buy if what you're interested in is pure video and audio streaming from the Internet. It has some limited capability to play files from USB storage and a few DLNA "channels" that people use to stream media stored on PCs and other servers on their LANs, but there are many much, much better devices for that. Although it does a quite decent job, it's not the best video renderer; no 24p output and RGB color space only. Given that it costs $100 at the high end you can't expect reference level performance.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 05-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
jrtroo
User

Mikeyed--

You may be missing the point of some of these arguments. Tivo core functionality (DVR) is completely different than a Roku core functionality (streaming). For Tivo, its an add on that works fine for many, but does not have a large amount of apps. No Roku can act as a DVR.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyed View Post
Interesting discussion. I've been thinking about buying the Roku 3 instead of Tivo.
I hear that as "I've been thinking about buying oranges rather than pork tenderloin" . The primary function of a TiVo is to record television video for later playback; Roku boxes don't do that at all.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 05-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #23
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Mikeyed--

You may be missing the point of some of these arguments. Tivo core functionality (DVR) is completely different than a Roku core functionality (streaming). For Tivo, its an add on that works fine for many, but does not have a large amount of apps. No Roku can act as a DVR.
The more that I use streaming services such as Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc... the more I'm beginning to realize that recording stuff with a DVR is pretty darn old school. I have six TiVos scattered throughout my house, and I'm starting to question if this is even necessary any more.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
The more that I use streaming services such as Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc... the more I'm beginning to realize that recording stuff with a DVR is pretty darn old school.
It might be old school but with recording:

1) I can playback without a network
2) I can playback without the Internet connection working
3) I can playback with *ZERO* artifacts or problems caused by network or server glitches
4) I can zoom forward and backwards absolutely smoothly (plus slo-mo, etc)
5) I get the original bitrate and quality, always, without it changing or adjusting
6) I am not forced to watch anything that I can't skip
7) Doesn't use any bandwidth

You can get a similar effect with the old-fashioned Amazon video transfer. I much prefer that concept to streaming.... it is similar to streaming but with a 100% buffer.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #25
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
It might be old school but with recording:

1) I can playback without a network
2) I can playback without the Internet connection working
3) I can playback with *ZERO* artifacts or problems caused by network or server glitches
4) I can zoom forward and backwards absolutely smoothly (plus slo-mo, etc)
5) I get the original bitrate and quality, always, without it changing or adjusting
6) I am not forced to watch anything that I can't skip
7) Doesn't use any bandwidth

You can get a similar effect with the old-fashioned Amazon video transfer. I much prefer that concept to streaming.... it is similar to streaming but with a 100% buffer.
and not all content that you can get by recording it on a Tivo is available through streaming sources
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
and not all content that you can get by recording it on a Tivo is available through streaming sources
That is true. Of course, so is the reverse.

I wish I lived in a world where I could just download (and watch-while-downloading) any program ever made and my payment was spread between those and voted for what I like to see. No more "cable", no more broadcast, no more limited streaming. Not sure of the revenue model, but that shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Unfortunately that fantasy world will probably never exist.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #28
atmuscarella

I think what most people want is:
  1. To be able to find content to watch easily
  2. To watch any content they want to whenever they want to easily
  3. To watch any content they want to wherever (on whatever device) they want to easily
  4. To have the content be of a quality level acceptable to them
  5. To have the cost be acceptable to them
There is no one device or service that does the above and I left out gaming which really should be included in the above list somehow.

If you took a TiVo, Roku, Blu-ray player, & Gaming console and smashed them together you would be close to being able to have "The One Box", but I don't see one "service" ever getting access to all the available content so we will still be stuck with using many services. And of course to have it all work the way it should we would all also need access to very reliable high speed Internet both in our homes and on our mobile devices.

The reality is we will all be using a combination of services and devices for a long time. What I see for stand alone streaming only devices like a Roku is that they will become (stay?) a niche product (like TiVo DVRs) as more TVs, Blu-ray players, Gaming consoles, & hopefully TiVos become "good enough" streaming devices for the masses.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
tivoknucklehead

I can access Netflix via my two Tivo Premieres, my Directv HR22, my Sony Blu Ray player, my Apple TV, my boxee box and my Roku 3 and the best user experience is the Roku 3
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
I can access Netflix via my two Tivo Premieres, my Directv HR22, my Sony Blu Ray player, my Apple TV, my boxee box and my Roku 3 and the best user experience is the Roku 3
I think my Sony BD player gives me the best experience. The interface is like the Roku 3 one but the Sony BD player will also give me info about the stream. And show what resolution is being streamed. While my ROku 2 and Roku3 boxes do not give me this info.
Plus the Roku2/3 does not have access to the 3D streaming titles. From either Netflix or VUDU. While I get access to them from my Sony S5100 BD players.

Although if I plan on using the supplied remote with each device, then the Roku 2/3 remote is much easier to navigate than the Sony remote.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote