TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Hcour

Endeavour - BBC

This is a prequel to the popular "Inspector Morse" series, portraying Morse as a young man new on the force. The mysteries are in that same familiar style - lots of suspects, plenty of red herrings, families with long-buried secrets, much of it centered around Oxford. Shaun Evans is excellent as the shy, taciturn young Morse. So far the mysteries aren't quite on a par with the best of the original series (or the sequel "Inspector Lewis"), but they're still ten times more intriguing than most of the crap we get over here in the "states", imho.

Well worth a look for fans of "Morse" and "Lewis".
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Title is a little misleading.

This show was on "Masterpiece Mysteries" on PBS this past weekend.

However, I do agree that it's worth a watch!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
nirisahn

I think it shows promise, but hasn't quite hit its stride yet. Inspector Lewis flows a little more naturally. I wonder if it's because it takes place 50 years ago and they don't quite have the hang of making that feel real. Anyway, it's still pretty good and I'll keep watching it.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
ADG
Allan

The characters weren't appealing to me at all. Much preferred the original Morse series. And sorry to see Inspector Lewis end its run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Title is a little misleading.
Possibly, but it IS Morse' first name, and descriptive of his detective style.

Colin Dexter is not writing Endeavour, like he did Morse and Lewis. That's probably why it has a different tone and feel.

I too was sad to see Lewis go off into the sunset. Apparently both principal actors, Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox, both of whom I really liked, wanted to end these roles so they could pursue other projects. I still remember how very disappointed I was when Diana Rigg left The Avengers. Yeah, I'm THAT old!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
JohnB1000

He meant having BBC in the title since it was on PBS and is not a BBC show anyway.

I'm pretty sure Dexter did not write Lewis.

I thought Lewis had got very stale the last couple of years. I think this show is much fresher, though there has been a lot of UK shows at in the recent past.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #7
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Apparently both principal actors, Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox, both of whom I really liked, wanted to end these roles so they could pursue other projects.
What stopped them from pursuing other projects? The 6-8 broadcast hours a year of Inspector Lewis couldn't have been that much of a drag on their time.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
Edmund
Remote Czar

Love Endeavour, will miss Lewis, enjoying catching repeats of the original Inspector Morse on Hulu+.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Hcour

I'll miss Hathaway more than Lewis. That guy is a very interesting actor. I hope he does another series.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Jon J
Curmudgeon

I was pleased that they worked "M-O-R-S-E" in Morse Code into the closing music as they always did in the original Inspector Morse.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #11
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Possibly, but it IS Morse' first name, and descriptive of his detective style.

Colin Dexter is not writing Endeavour, like he did Morse and Lewis. That's probably why it has a different tone and feel.

I too was sad to see Lewis go off into the sunset. Apparently both principal actors, Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox, both of whom I really liked, wanted to end these roles so they could pursue other projects. I still remember how very disappointed I was when Diana Rigg left The Avengers. Yeah, I'm THAT old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
What stopped them from pursuing other projects? The 6-8 broadcast hours a year of Inspector Lewis couldn't have been that much of a drag on their time.
I hear you, and I agree. I was just quoting the article I read. They both ended the series so they could pursue other interests.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #12
Edmund
Remote Czar

If you started watching Inspector Lewis in the middle of its run, and not from the beginning, there may be an episode you haven't seen, the pilot. Its not available from streaming on netflix or amazon. You'll need to find the separate dvd, or the first couple of season dvd sets released. Its not considered part of the first season of Lewis, since it came out over year before the series started airing.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
Hcour

Just finished the series, which got better each episode. I thought the last two were just terrific. I'll definitely be looking forward to next season.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I've watched a few Inspector Morse episodes but definitely not all, and I've watched the episodes of Endeavor that have been aired so far (all but the last one). There's apparently a backstory from Morse's time at Oxford that I'm not familiar with. Is that something that I would know about if I'd watched all of Inspector Morse? Or is it something that comes out in the final episode of the season (Home)? Or not at all?

I don't want to be spoiled if it's upcoming info, but if it was brought out in the previous series I'll go looking for it. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I've watched a few Inspector Morse episodes but definitely not all, and I've watched the episodes of Endeavor that have been aired so far (all but the last one). There's apparently a backstory from Morse's time at Oxford that I'm not familiar with. Is that something that I would know about if I'd watched all of Inspector Morse? Or is it something that comes out in the final episode of the season (Home)? Or not at all?

I don't want to be spoiled if it's upcoming info, but if it was brought out in the previous series I'll go looking for it. Thanks!
There really doesn't seem to be anything in the series that would spoil things for someone later watching Morse. The stories in Endeavor really aren't referred to in the Morse series as he doesn't talk much about his early career.

But, it has shown some of the things that were referred to over a long period of time in the series/books: the woman he loved in college (she shows up in one Morse story), his family was mentioned, but not seen (I can't believe how much they were able to make his Dad look like a sickly, older John Thaw!), how he met Max, the pathologist, and the future Chief Superintendent Strange (I got chills the first time he called Endeavor "Matey"), and why Morse likes his Jag.

All this info was dropped in the Morse series like breadcrumbs over the years. Heck, we didn't find out his first name until almost the end!

For those of us who watched the series and/or read the books (I did both), Endeavor is fun when we spot something that we know about turning up. (For example the evil stepmother Gwen. Now we see why he couldn't leave home fast enough.)

Enjoy Endeavor, but do catch up with Morse, preferably in order. It's nice to see the relationship between him and Lewis developing.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Has anyone found Morse streaming anywhere?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I'd love to catch up, but I have to confess that 90 minute shows are very difficult for me to fit into my TV viewing schedule. I just don't have that much time for TV, and a bunch of the time I do have is watching with my kids, who need something a little faster paced (we're doing West Wing right now... talk about fast paced ). So I generally have some on the TiVo and I try to get around to them when I can.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
All episodes are on Huluplus.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
All episodes are on Huluplus.
Thanks. I'll check again but I don't think I have any devices they support.

Added: Looks like my Sony Bravia may work. Thanks again.

Last edited by Jon J : 07-30-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Jon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
nirisahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
tv.com also has them and doesn't require a subscription. I think it's actually piggybacking off Hulu, but you don't have to pay. You do have to put up with commercials.

Edit: I found full episodes of Inspector Morse on YouTube. No commercials!

Last edited by nirisahn : 07-30-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: found new source
Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #21
Edmund
Remote Czar

Spoiler:
At the end of Endeavour episode "Home", was SGT Strange taking Morses test for him?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
nirisahn

Quote:
Spoiler:
At the end of Endeavour episode "Home", was SGT Strange taking Morses test for him?
I think I need to rewatch that episode. I was listening more than looking and apparently missed some important stuff. Didn't pick up on this at all.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
Edmund
Remote Czar

I didn't see it on the pbs boardcast on Sunday, but I purchased the episode off of amazon the next day, there it was.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
nirisahn

Quote:
I didn't see it on the pbs boardcast on Sunday, but I purchased the episode off of amazon the next day, there it was.
I'm curious - why would you buy the episode when it can be watched for free on the pbs website?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
Edmund
Remote Czar

I can't stand watching via the computer. I'm cord cutter, I haven't had a dvr in a year. This is one of those particular shows I like to watch over and over. I most have seen the pilot half dozen times. To do that I have to purchase it on amazon.

Spoiler:
Another scene I didn't notice on the pbs boardcast, was Morse getting patched up be a doc at the end, he tells Morse he may limp later on in life.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
nirisahn

Quote:
I can't stand watching via the computer. I'm cord cutter, I haven't had a dvr in a year. This is one of those particular shows I like to watch over and over. I most have seen the pilot half dozen times. To do that I have to purchase it on amazon.

Spoiler:
Another scene I didn't notice on the pbs boardcast, was Morse getting patched up be a doc at the end, he tells Morse he may limp later on in life.
I didn't think about scenes being missing from the pbs broadcast. That's reason alone to buy it, especially if you watch them over and over.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #27
Edmund
Remote Czar

I'm only interested in 4 shows now, 3 come on at the same time Sundays, Endeavour, Copper, and Crossing lines. Endeavour I watched live, and purchased. Copper I have to purchase when its available Mondays because I don't have access to BBCA. Crossing Lines I watch on Hulu+. The fourth show is Longmire on Mondays.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #28
Church AV Guy

Four episode season. Not exactly unusual for this kind of thing, but hardly long enough for my taste. I really enjoyed it.

Interesting that they showed the pilot episode over a year ago, and I filed it away with my Lewis episodes. I wondered why there weren't any more of Endeavour. Now that they have shown the four episodes, I had a really hard time tracking down where I had stashed (hidden) the pilot episode.

I never did find what the heck I did with the Lewis pilot (lost!). I seriously doubt they will ever air that again.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I'd love to catch up, but I have to confess that 90 minute shows are very difficult for me to fit into my TV viewing schedule. I just don't have that much time for TV, and a bunch of the time I do have is watching with my kids, who need something a little faster paced (we're doing West Wing right now... talk about fast paced ). So I generally have some on the TiVo and I try to get around to them when I can.
Actually, that 90 min length is one of the things I like about these shows. U.S. crime shows, minus commercials, are about 41 mins. So the Brit shows are more than twice as long. That allows for more complex mysteries and greater character development.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I'm not saying I don't like it: it's worth it and I do watch various BBC shows; we watched Ripper this spring for example, and of course Sherlock Holmes when it was on. I'm just saying it's slow going for me to catch up with longer series. Some days I don't have 90 minutes for TV for the entire day, including news etc.