TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
wdoerf

Issue transfering shows from Tivo HD to Premiere

I have 2 TiVo's, 2 Slingbox, 2 wired computers, a wired blu-ray player, a wired Smasung SmartTV, a wired VoIP box for my home phone service, and a wireless access point on my home network serving a wifi printer, a tablet and a laptop. The little LinkSys router I have has only 4 network ports, so I picked up an unmanaged 8 port network switch to give me the extra ports I need connect everything.

Recently, I'm having trouble transfering shows from a Premiere to a TiVo HD (Series 3). Works fine going from the HD to the Premiere, just not from the Premiere to the HD. Whenever I try to transfer a show from the HD to the Premiere, the Premiere will spontaneously reboot. It does that every time regardless of what show is selected or whether it was an HD recording or not, and show length doesn't appear to matter either. It's every transfer, every time, and only when going from the HD to the Premiere.

I contacted support to try and figure out what the problem is (online chat). The support guy (Nathan) said that I'm on an unsupported network configuration, that network switches of any type aren't part of the approved network connection design and that he couldn't help me.

<begin rant>
TiVo technical folks need to start thinking about just how people use computers and things in their homes. NO ONE that I know (including my aging parents of all things) has less than 4 networked devices in their homes. If the only supported configuration is to have some generic router running the Internet connection and both (or more) TiVo's connected to it AND NOTHING ELSE, then you support people have a serious problem. Nobody, especially anyone that is tech savvy (at least those that I'm associated with), has a configuration like that.

And besides, what the hell does my Internet router have to do with communication between 2 TiVo's on the same network?? The router doesn't touch internal traffic unless it is destined for the Internet link. Don't even try to tell me it does. I'm not only a Cisco and Microsoft certified IT tech, but I also manage a wide area network for an entity that covers several US states including the one I live in. I'm well aware that the TiVo's need to 'call home' on a regular basis for updates, guide listings and the like, but I can't for the life of me understand how that should have anything to do with transfering a show from one TiVo to another, especially when it worked fine the week before and just suddenly stopped working a week later.
<end rant>

I understand that TiVo can't provide support for people's home networks, regardless of the type or arrangement or what hardware is in use. That's not my problem. My problem is that TiVo Support will not troubleshoot an obvoius problem when a network switch is involved. That's just ludicrous.

Now, having gotten all of that off my chest. Hopefully folks here can provide some insight into the problem.

Tivo HD:
10.1.1.11 address (static)
wired ethernet connection

Tivo Premiere:
10.1.1.10 address (static)
wired ethernet connection

Transferring shows back and forth worked not more than a week ago (that's when we last did it). Yesterday afternoon it failed as described above. We tried 7 or 8 different show transfers, all failed as described above. I transfered 3 shows to the HD, all without a single issue. SO I know they are talking to each other on the network, it just appears that the Premiere is having a hard time with things.

This is the third time in a couple years I've contacted Tivo Support for something, and I'm sorry to say its also the third time they've let me down. My last call was over a year ago concerning a dead Tivo box. Instead of fixing it ($150) we repalced it with a new Premiere ($99). I was told that the old dead box would be removed from my account. It's still there, and they still want me to pay for it or reactivate it even though it was not only unusable, but was dismantled and recycled more than a year ago.

Before that, my first call, was for this same type of problem. Back then I was on a supported network configuration and they were still unable to help me. I actually found the answer here after asking for help.

My wife is fed up with Tivo at this point, and she's about ready to pull the plug. We already own the hardware (and one lifetime activation) so I'd rather try and fix whatever the issue is first. But I could just as easily setup a couple XBMC boxes or Media Center or something and replace the Tivo's completely. I'm considering that, honestly, but we've already invested so much money in the Tivo hardware that I'm not ready to part with it quite yet.

Geez, I'm long winded. I get like that when I'm upset.
wdoerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
ggieseke

I'm guessing that you got the 20.3.1 update on the Premiere recently. I think more than a few bugs crept into that one and hopefully they will patch it soon. In general, the entire S4 line has had major problems with MRV (probably due to the addition of MRS) and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I understand TiVo's reluctance to support WiFi these days given the fact that unless you live in east BFE there are probably a dozen nearby networks, but refusing to address issues because you have a switch is silly. I have a 2-Wire DSL modem/router, a Cisco 800 series router, and 2 unmanaged 8-port switches just to support 1 guy.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Have to ask because you didn't mention it, don't be offended - Did you try rebooting the HD?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
bshrock

I feel you're pain.
Look into the switch my Premiere would reboot when attempting to contact TiVo it turned out to be bad Trend-net 10/100/1000 switch. I replaced the switch because it would randomly go into some kind of broadcast mode (all active LEDs flashing at different rates) and bring my entire network to it's knees and surprise the Premier no longer re-booted.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
I feel you're pain.
Look into the switch my Premiere would reboot when attempting to contact TiVo it turned out to be bad Trend-net 10/100/1000 switch. I replaced the switch because it would randomly go into some kind of broadcast mode (all active LEDs flashing at different rates) and bring my entire network to it's knees and surprise the Premier no longer re-booted.
Packet storm! I'm surprised that the TrendNet switch caused it but I've seen that on several printers from HP to Canon to Xerox.

Good work diagnosing/fixing the problem.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote