TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
VegasVic
Craps Player

Dexter - 7/14/13 - "What's Eating Dexter Morgan"

So maybe, MAYBE Vogel isn't the killer as we see her get the text and the his and hers packages.

And one of her former patients just happens to be a cannibal. Not the killer they're looking for because he considers brains a delicacy and would never cut out a piece(s).

I get the whole Deb thing of losing it after killer LaGuerta but I guess I'm just sick of her character.

Wasn't all that thrilled with this ep.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
DUDE_NJX

The episode was full of "meh".
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
john4200

I hope that when Vogel tries to treat Deb (or will she?), that Vogel asks Deb why she shot LaGuerta. I've been wondering that since last season. Why didn't Deb just ask Dexter what to do? Or even just turned around and left?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
pmyers

What is up with Deb's boss and those "drinks"? Just a red herring?
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
What is up with Deb's boss and those "drinks"?
Probably means that he is really her father.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
And one of her former patients just happens to be a cannibal. Not the killer they're looking for because he considers brains a delicacy and would never cut out a piece(s).
Well, her specialty is psychopaths, so it would have been odd if at least one of her patients WEREN'T a serial killer, especially [announcer voice]In A World[/] where there are as many as in Dexterland.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
GoPackGo

Quote:
I asked the same question last week, but now we have 2 episodes in a row where he's giving drinks to Deb. It's weird.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
I asked the same question last week, but now we have 2 episodes in a row where he's giving drinks to Deb. It's weird.
When he gave her one this week I knew I'd seen that before, but just figured I'd seen it in the previews. Two weeks in a row they're either telling us something or just messing with us.

Maybe Deb's behavior isn't due just to guilt, but tweaked with a little chemical assistance from her new boss. Haven't seen yet what his motivation might be, but he did express some interest in who she was spending her nights with.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
When he gave her one this week I knew I'd seen that before, but just figured I'd seen it in the previews. Two weeks in a row they're either telling us something or just messing with us.

Maybe Deb's behavior isn't due just to guilt, but tweaked with a little chemical assistance from her new boss. Haven't seen yet what his motivation might be, but he did express some interest in who she was spending her nights with.
I think its just a misdirection by the writers because she seems to be able to function just fine after both times (other than what she's doing to herself with the booze/drugs). Both times he gave her a drink she was severly hung over.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
I think its just a misdirection by the writers because she seems to be able to function just fine after both times (other than what she's doing to herself with the booze/drugs). Both times he gave her a drink she was severly hung over.
I don't even take it as misdirection. He might just be the kind of guy who drinks that stuff himself, and he's trying to be a nice guy by giving her a bottle when she looks like she needs it. I know a guy who's like that... who is all into supplements and health drinks and such. While he's never offered me any, I've never been around him when I'm hung over or sick. He is pretty gun-ho about it, and if I showed up at his house or something completely hung over, I would be surprised if he didn't hand something to me that he thinks would help.

Sure, it's a bit out of the ordinary, but it really depends on their relationship (from his end at least). He's probably just trying to be a nice guy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

So that settles it - Deb's boss is the killer
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
stellie93

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
The weirdest part, if I'm remembering correctly, is that she acted like she'd never had one before the second time, and he gave her almost word for word the same explanation as if he'd never given her one before.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
waynomo
My One Time

Wasn't it Freud who said sometimes a bottle of water is not just a bottle of water.

They seem to be weaving Deb's boss (Elway) into the thread of the story a bit more. I don't have a clue if this is going anywhere. It definitely could. Right now it doesn't seem to be helping the story line any. (Very minor subplot.) Was the wife with the cheating husband just a tactic to make Deb realize that she is in denial and run to the station and try and confess? And that got her on Vogel's couch. (Okay, I realize technically she was passed out on her couch.)

I still think Deb's and Dexter's story line has to cross someplace where they are after the same bad guy.

I think Vogel is genuinely scared. Perhaps she is wondering what kind of monster she has created. That's why she thinks Dexter is perfect. Only kills bad people. Adheres to to code.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
The episode was full of "meh".
But despite my above comments this was my thought exactly.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
pmyers

I personally think the water bottle storyline is just misdirection on the writers or just to give us something to talk about/debate for a week until the new epsode comes out. Kinda like the jewels from last week
Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
They seem to be weaving Deb's boss (Elway) into the thread of the story a bit more. I don't have a clue if this is going anywhere. It definitely could. Right now it doesn't seem to be helping the story line any. (Very minor subplot.)
I would suspect something, except they did the same thing with the nanny (recognizable actor, playing a larger-than-necessary role), and nothing came of her. So, who knows?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
Sromkie
TiVoed

My guess is that her boss is being featured to some degree simply because his character is necessary for exposition. Deb isn't really confiding much in Dexter. She's trying her best to avoid him. That leaves the writers with a hole they have to fill when it comes to exposition over what Deb is doing. Her boss fills this role by giving her a place to talk about her case and her plans. I don't think it's anything more than that, but it's always a possibility.

Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post

The weirdest part, if I'm remembering correctly, is that she acted like she'd never had one before the second time, and he gave her almost word for word the same explanation as if he'd never given her one before.
I thought that was odd as well. The drink was a different color and he said this one had a different purpose, but you would think Deb's inflection would have been different, i.e. "What's THIS drink?" with the clear implication that she realizes this one is different than the one he gave her before. Instead, they both acted like it was the first time they'd ever had that conversation.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
You're not remembering correctly.
She acts like she's never had one before because she hasn't. The second drink is different than the first.

The first time it's a commercially made twist and mix bottle and he says something about it having electrolytes and that she looks dehydrated. The second time he gives her a special custom made supplement formula with vitamins, electrolytes, a couple of chinese herbs and says she looks hungover.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
McGonigle
Far out!

I liked how Dexter showed Deb an episode from Dexter from a few seasons back. That was so meta!
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
I liked how Dexter showed Deb an episode from Dexter from a few seasons back. That was so meta!
Well with smartphones and Showtime Anytime . . .