TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Azlen

Under the Dome S01E03 "Manhunt" 7-8-13

This show is really running off the rails. I agree with Alan Sepinwall's review of this episode.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-under-and-out

Episode 2 was a big misstep, but one the show could have recovered from. "Manhunt," though, continued all the stupid things from last week and added more. There's absolutely zero urgency from any of these people to figure out how they're going to survive inside this thing with limited supplies of food and water. There's barely any urgency about finding ways out, for that matter, except from characters who are crazy and/or chained underground in a bomb shelter. The dome seemingly makes people crazy — which thus far is just an excuse for contrived, clumsy melodrama designed to distract both the citizens and the audience from the actual problems created by the dome — so I suppose it's possible it's also pacified everyone into a "Don't worry, be happy, crack a joke about the dwindling bacon supply" attitude, but there's been no suggestion that's the case. The characters are either bland (Deputy Linda, Julia, Joe), cartoonishly evil (Junior, this new jerk Carter) or played by an actor who deserves much, much better material (Big Jim).
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I'll give it one more episode.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
FFwded thru most of the Barbie/redhead/city council guy stuff. Watched the young kid and his party bit and the walk thru the tunnels. It seems the only smart ones are the kids and one is hidden in a bomb shelter. At least in the book a couple of the adults had it together too. Not sure how much more I will devote to this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
tony touch
Nice and Smooth

I haven't been sucked in by this, though I normally enjoy King's adaptations.

Has anyone here read the book? If so, should we stay tuned for better episodes/plotlines going forward?
tony touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Many of us have read the book. By now, in the book I was sucked in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony touch View Post
Has anyone here read the book? If so, should we stay tuned for better episodes/plotlines going forward?
This is a trick, right? Someone posts an innocent answer and then the spoiler Nazis jump on us with 50 screaming posts--even if the answer is in spoiler tags.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Hercules67
TiVo addict

I'll say this, without divulging spoilers.

There is no tangent between book and TV Show anymore. They really diverged after Episode 2. As "betts4" said, in the book, by now, "I was sucked in to the narrative".

This show has just about lost me, and next week, I am giving-up if it does not pick-up.

There is no urgency, AND the characters are acting in completely STUPID ways.

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
This is a trick, right? Someone posts an innocent answer and then the spoiler Nazis jump on us with 50 screaming posts--even if the answer is in spoiler tags.
the town is not in a dome

the rest of the world is in a hallow sphere, but the sphere has a little dent in it and then town is OUTSIDE the sphere in the dent

that's the big twist in the end
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

This show is getting worse. Pilot was up-and-down, but showed potential. Ep 2 was disappointing, Ep 3 was even more so. I'd be tempted to cut the cord on it, but what else is there to watch?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
BradJW

Agreed with everyone else.

I liked the pilot. Episode 2 wasn't great. Episode 3 was not good.
I really like the premise, so I think unless it gets REALLY bad, i'm in it for at least the whole season.

But, I've been watching this in the media room so far. If next week is bad, it'll get demoted to a smaller TV (unless my kids still want to watch it).
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

The lady who plays Julia Shumway, Rachelle Lefevre, is the worst actor on TV, perhaps ever.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
hairyblue
A good Man

I'm still enjoying it. Characters are interesting to watch. And there is still a mystery of the dome.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
ElJay

I'm on the fence about it. Yeah, the characters are stupid but so are people. People don't plan for the future. Still, there must be more than a few "preppers" in a rural Maine town like Chester's Mills, and it would be more interesting to see what they're up to. Instead we focus on a crazy deputy who runs around in the forest and then just unceremoniously dies before we understand any of the basis for his craziness.

I do hope the whole Junior/Hostage thing gets wrapped up soon since there is no reason for us to see ten minutes of the same scenes being re-enacted in every episode. She'd better stab him with those scissors next episode.

I also think we're seeing the effects of "let's do season 2"-itis in how slowly and stupidly everything is progressing. The initial media coverage of the show acted like this was a fixed 13-episode miniseries, but apparently the show runners have mapped out two additional seasons. This does not bode well for a taut storyline.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
TonyD79

Despite my bashing if it, I kept saying I was enjoying it so I'd keep watching. Zero enjoyment this week.

It's been said here already. All of the adults are acting like the dome doesn't exist. They are all tied up in their soap opera dramas. The kids are reacting better. Trying to get out or having end of the world parties.

And on top of it all, instead of exploring psychology or attacking the dome, we get a manhunt in a woods that can't possibly coexist in the same space as the town, the river and the mill.

This show is now week to week for me.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #15
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Why would a cement plant have a labyrinth of deep tunnels underneath?

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #16
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Because the steep descent into blackness is a metaphor for something. (The quality of the episodes, perhaps?)

I don't normally care for shows that start in media res, as I think of it as a bit of a writer's crutch, but I think this series could have benefitted from it. Show us a glimpse of where we are headed right at the start, to help make this preliminary stuff more endurable as we wonder "how did they get to that point they showed in the opening scenes?" I agree that right now the characters are not acting with the sense of urgency and panic they should be if they were more true-to-life. I assume that's because the writers are trying to establish a baseline. Problem is, baseline is boring and, in this case, frustrating for the viewer.

Other quibbles:

"How many matches do you have left?"
"Only one. Let's waste it standing around talking."
"Yeah, okay."

Plus, I can't think of anyone I know that actually carries a box of matches around with them, when they are just out and about. That was fortunate she had them.

Another frustrating moment (from the prior episode, but if I'm thread-crapping it might as well be diarrhea) - Barbie is shown as being smart enough to consider that things might get so bad that it gets to a point where cigarettes are used as currency. So he ups his request from one pack to three. Three? Yep, that should do it.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 07-10-2013 at 06:51 AM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
wouldworker
_

I'm out. The first three episodes remind me of the first three seasons of Lost. The first one was good and drew you in, the second wasn't as good as the first but still showed promise, and the third was just pointless.

I forget who got jumped all over for commenting on how in-your-face the two moms things is, but he was right. "We are a same-sex couple." "... our legitimate daughter ...". I'm all for same-sex marriage. What I'm against is bad writing.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Another frustrating moment (from the prior episode, but if I'm thread-crapping it might as well be diarrhea) - Barbie is shown as being smart enough to consider that things might get so bad that it gets to a point where cigarettes are used as currency. So he ups his request from one pack to three. Three? Yep, that should do it.
I may be giving them too much credit...almost certainly, in fact...but considering he told the clerk the cigarettes weren't for him (when obviously they were), I "read" that as him stocking up because of the impending shortage and using the "currency" bit as an excuse.

But yes, either way he should have been buying cartons, not packs.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #19
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

I still think this is good for a summer show, I mean what else is there to do, some work around the house?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
So that we could have a pointless scene under the town?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #21
nickels
opinionated dope

Another bothersome scene...
Creepy Kid is walking fast with a backpack. Reporter lady asks him where he is going. He is mysterious and walks off. Only a total jackass wouldn't expect her to follow him. Then she wastes the last match standing still having a conversation. Please. At least we saw the dome goes far underground and that other electronics explode near it (the flashlight). Now lets see how long it takes until someone connects some wires to the dome to see if it is generating any sort of electricity.

I'm sticking with it because it is about the only new TV on right now. I look forward to reading the book once this first season is done.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Another bothersome scene...
Creepy Kid is walking fast with a backpack. Reporter lady asks him where he is going. He is mysterious and walks off. Only a total jackass wouldn't expect her to follow him. Then she wastes the last match standing still having a conversation. Please. At least we saw the dome goes far underground and that other electronics explode near it (the flashlight). Now lets see how long it takes until someone connects some wires to the dome to see if it is generating any sort of electricity.

I'm sticking with it because it is about the only new TV on right now. I look forward to reading the book once this first season is done.
You'll be rewarded with a much better story.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #23
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
"How many matches do you have left?"
"Only one. Let's waste it standing around talking."
"Yeah, okay."
Yeah, that was pretty lame.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
brianric

Quote:
Barbie is shown as being smart enough to consider that things might get so bad that it gets to a point where cigarettes are used as currency. So he ups his request from one pack to three. Three? Yep, that should do it.
I had to smile at that comment. I was stationed on board the USS Nimitz (CVN-68). Two weeks before the ship pulled into Haifa Israel I filled up a duffel bag full of patches, hats and cigarette lighters with the USS Nimitz on them. Had a great time seeing Israel on the cheap, with no extra money out of my pocket for lodging, food, drink and entertainment in the five days I went ashore. Learned my lesson two years ago on the USS Eisenhower (CVN-69).
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
Timbeau

This episode sits unwatched on my DVR and based on comments here I think I'll delete it and the season pass. There's just too much better stuff to watch.

It's really too bad, the show seemed like it could have been so good. I doubt they could have ever kept it interesting for more than 8 or 10 episodes but if the writers had focused on the dome rather than stupid behavior, it could have been a really good show.

-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #26
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeau View Post
This episode sits unwatched on my DVR and based on comments here I think I'll delete it and the season pass. There's just too much better stuff to watch.

It's really too bad, the show seemed like it could have been so good. I doubt they could have ever kept it interesting for more than 8 or 10 episodes but if the writers had focused on the dome rather than stupid behavior, it could have been a really good show.
This. We are in the third episode and the only real interaction with the dome is a nut case who went what appeared to be all of 20 feet down to find it again.

The rest of the show could be watched without any idea a dome exists.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
cheesesteak
Meh.

Rachelle Lefevre is one fine looking woman and the only reason for me to watch another episode. This show is full of paper thin, poorly written characters.

I held out the slightest sliver of hope that Ms. Intrepid Reporter would ask Barbie why he beat the snot out of innocent thirty year old teenager Junior. Maybe Big Jim would ask Barbie why he beat the snot out of innocent thirty year old teenager Junior. A big "No" on both counts. They both notice bruised face and knuckles and hear a cockamamie story from Junior but don't ask Barbie anything. This is why I hate some tv shows. Real people don't act this way.

I chuckled when Big Jim and Barbie were in the woods discussing Jim's sadistic football career and crazy cop dude magically appears five feet from them. How could they miss seeing him?

Has it been two days? I'm wondering where captive girl is going to the bathroom.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #28
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
I liked the pilot. Episode 2 wasn't great. Episode 3 was not good.
I really like the premise, so I think unless it gets REALLY bad, i'm in it for at least the whole season.
same for me, couldn't have said it any better.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Maybe Big Jim would ask Barbie why he beat the snot out of innocent thirty year old teenager Junior. A big "No" on both counts. They both notice bruised face and knuckles and hear a cockamamie story from Junior but don't ask Barbie anything.
And instead Big Jim gives Barbie a gun and hangs out alone with him out in the woods.

I also love the fact that it is the City Council's duty to lead manhunts for armed and dangerous fugitives.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was also a little sad to see Earl, the "Saving Grace" angel, playing the part of a small town bigot.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote