TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
Peter000

Dexter S8E01 6/30/13 "A Beautiful Day" SPOILERS

I can't believe Dexter is in season 8.

Dexter is losing it, definitely. Obsessed with Deb. Taking Harrison with him in what turns out to be a kill, even if not, still Dex knows it's a dangerous situation.

Have none of these people heard of text messaging? At least they could give much more advanced warning that way. (I'm thinking of Dex letting Deb in on what he knows).

Still an enjoyable ep. Looking forward to the last 11 episodes.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
rahnbo

I was thinking the same thing about the text messages. I guess the only reason not to bother texting someone is if you're reasonably sure their phone is off which might be a logical conclusion when all calls go directly to voice mail.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I hate that Deb fell in love with Dexter. And she briefly refers to it again in this episode. Other than that, I'm looking forward to this season. The Vogel character promises a lot.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Hank
AC•FTW

My g/f said the sa,e thing about text messaging.

I liked seeing Dexter"s "new friends".

And it was driving me absolutely nuts trying to figure out where I saw Andrew Briggs before. He was soooo familiar. After racking my brain for 15 minutes I gave up and looked it up on OMDB.
Spoiler:
Billy Walsh from Entourage

Try my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
markp99
TakoKichi

Yay. I'm in.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

So, "six months later", but Harrison looks a full 2 years older.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Test

It was pretty funny how they did the catch up around the memorial. It's like they haven't seen each other in the past 6 months let alone Deb.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
pmyers

If you are undercover, receiving a text message could get you killed.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
john4200

So, how does the good doctor know about Harry's Code? Maybe Harry consulted her when he first adopted Dexter?

If she really knows as much as she thinks she does, then does she also suspect that Dexter was involved in the deaths of Doakes and LaGuerta? Oddly enough, Dexter did not kill either of them, but in both cases he was lucky that someone else killed them for him, because he was almost surely caught if either had lived.

I also wonder if the Captain knows more than he admitted to Dexter. But if the Captain has any clue about Dexter's proclivities, then he has to suspect Dexter was involved in LaGuerta's death, but if so, he does not seem to care.
john4200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I also wonder if the Captain knows more than he admitted to Dexter. But if the Captain has any clue about Dexter's proclivities, then he has to suspect Dexter was involved in LaGuerta's death, but if so, he does not seem to care.
Was he forced into retirement last season? and now back?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
I assumed the Captain brought Vogel in specifically to trap Dexter.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I doubt that the Captain is trying to "trap" Dexter.

The Captain always seemed to look out for Dexter. I would not be surprised to discover that he was in on the whole Code scheme with Harry.
john4200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
pmyers

Quote:
So, how does the good doctor know about Harry's Code? Maybe Harry consulted her when he first adopted Dexter?...
Were those drawings that Dexter made as a kid? I'm assuming they were which would lead me to believe that she must be somebody that Harry confided in a long time ago. Perhaps she was even the one who told Harry to "control" Dexter's impulses and help come up with the Code....
Old 07-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Were those drawings that Dexter made as a kid? I'm assuming they were which would lead me to believe that she must be somebody that Harry confided in a long time ago. Perhaps she was even the one who told Harry to "control" Dexter's impulses and help come up with the Code....
That's how I took it. Someone Harry brought in.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Hank
AC•FTW

Perhaps Dexter was a planned experiment between Harry, the Captain and Vogel to see if they could create such a person.

I'm 99% sure the Capitan has known about Dexter all along, but for whatever reason, is on "his side"

About text messaging, at the beginning of the show, Dexter didn't know she was "undercover" so he wouldn't really know not to text her. And if Deb was that deep undercover, I'd think she'd keep her cell phone off and well hidden until such time she could use it.

Try my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
waynomo
My One Time

I thought part of the deal last season that the Captain made with LaGuerta was that if he helped her he would get reinstated. So I was a bit surprised to see him there, but I think it fits with the previous plot line.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
So, how does the good doctor know about Harry's Code? Maybe Harry consulted her when he first adopted Dexter?

If she really knows as much as she thinks she does, then does she also suspect that Dexter was involved in the deaths of Doakes and LaGuerta? Oddly enough, Dexter did not kill either of them, but in both cases he was lucky that someone else killed them for him, because he was almost surely caught if either had lived.

I guess you didn't watch "Next on Dexter." On mobile and I don't have spoiler tags available, but they hinted at a lot of stuff about why she showed up.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
getbak

Quote:
Perhaps she was even the one who told Harry to "control" Dexter's impulses and help come up with the Code....
That's my guess. She created the Code, so she's responsible for Dexter's kills, which qualifies her for the Code, and she'll be Dexter's final kill.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That's my guess. She created the Code, so she's responsible for Dexter's kills, which qualifies her for the Code, and she'll be Dexter's final kill.
Or perhaps he will be hers?
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
SonicCookie

This episode is now available on iTunes for free.
SonicCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
Or perhaps he will be hers?
An interesting spin would be if she's a serial killer who kills by convincing others to kill. They could also tie it in to the disportionately high number of serial killers operating in the Miami metro area over the last few years.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
An interesting spin would be if she's a serial killer who kills by convincing others to kill. They could also tie it in to the disproportionately high number of serial killers operating in the Miami metro area over the last few years.
Heh, that would be clever. Give a dumb but necessary consequence of the show's premise an in-story explanation.

Slight problem...she's been in England.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post

No way. LaGuerta went to him last season with her suspicions about Dexter. If Captain Matthews knows about Dex and wanted him to be caught, he would have helped her rather than obstructing her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post

I guess you didn't watch "Next on Dexter." On mobile and I don't have spoiler tags available, but they hinted at a lot of stuff about why she showed up.
If you can type, you have spoiler tags available.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #24
Hank
AC•FTW

I hate the "Next on Dexter" clips -- they really throw in A LOT of spoilers -- more than most other shows, so I try to avoid them at all costs.

Try my new
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
pmyers

Is there ANY way that could actually be Dexter's mom? And that's why Harry kept in contact with her and she had drawings from Dexter?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Is there ANY way that could actually be Dexter's mom? And that's why Harry kept in contact with her and she had drawings from Dexter?
Maybe Harry's real wife (Dexter's step-mother). Was she ever mentioned in previous seasons? It just seemed that Harry was a single-parent.

Try my new
Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
lew

Quote:
Spoilerized since the information came from news reports...at this point I don't think it qualifies as a big spoiler

Spoiler:
She is the person who developed "the code" with/for Harry. Remember Harry telling Dexter to just give whatever answer he thought was wrong when he was given the psy test. Looking back it makes sense Harry had some professional help with his decision to channel Dexter's impulses instead of trying to stop them altogether.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #28
robojerk

Quote:
No, Dexter witnessed his mommy get cut up with a chain saw while he was a toddler. That's what made Dexter and his brother (Ice Truck Killer) who they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Maybe Harry's real wife (Dexter's step-mother). Was she ever mentioned in previous seasons? It just seemed that Harry was a single-parent.
I think she died while Deb and Dex were still young. Part of why Deb is so ****ed up, Harry was focusing his attention on Dexter while Deb needed parental guidance. If she faked her death, that would be stupid.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #29
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
No, Dexter witnessed his mommy get cut up with a chain saw while he was a toddler. That's what made Dexter and his brother (Ice Truck Killer) who they are..
Well in all fairness...that is what Dexter was told.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #30
robojerk

IIRC, I think he had flashbacks of the incident of Laura Mooser (Dexter's mom) being cut up. Also Laura was definitely no elite profiler, i think she had problems with the law herself (drugs?) and became an informant for Harry. Unless they can come up with some explanation how this women can be his biological mother who happens to be a top notch serial killer profiler, then somehow Laura got him and raised him like he was hers, he sees Laura die which makes him into a psychopath serial killer, then his biological mother somehow helps Harry develop the code to protect him? That's really far fetched, but then again this show has gone into some weird places before.