TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
addman711

Received a small 2in black box with Tivo Logo by FedEx ??

FedEx showed up today with a package. It contained a Black felt bag with a small 2 inch square box with fold out AC prongs, DC car plug and 2 USB ports. It has a TIVO LOGO on it. Also 2 USB cables with different mini plugs on them ans a small adapter to go from a mini to a larger type of plug.

There was NO paperwork, no instructions, no nothing. My best guess is that it is a universal phone charger?? (by the way none of the adapters fit my phone)

Just wondering why I got it?? Never ordered it and can't find it anywhere on Tivo site??
addman711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
qz3fwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman711 View Post
FedEx showed up today with a package. It contained a Black felt bag with a small 2 inch square box with fold out AC prongs, DC car plug and 2 USB ports. It has a TIVO LOGO on it. Also 2 USB cables with different mini plugs on them ans a small adapter to go from a mini to a larger type of plug.

There was NO paperwork, no instructions, no nothing. My best guess is that it is a universal phone charger?? (by the way none of the adapters fit my phone)

Just wondering why I got it?? Never ordered it and can't find it anywhere on Tivo site??
Maybe you could post a picture of it?
qz3fwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
news4me2

Have you participated in any TiVo beta testing recently?
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

Fight Club gift? In which case, you didn't actually receive it.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
poofy

This is the new Tivo Premier 5 with 6 tuners!!
poofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
addman711

Yes I was in the Umbrella Omega that closed a couple of months ago. If it is a parting gift you would think they would have sent a little note by email or with it.

Here is what it looks like. The AC prongs are on the back side and the 2 USB ports are on the edge pointing toward the bottom of the pic.

Pic attached

Wish it was a Premier 5 !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0032.jpg (41.2 KB, 527 views)

Last edited by addman711 : 07-06-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
MeInDallas

Thats way nicer than the umbrella with little Tivo's all over it they sent me
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I can't see what the plug on the end of the white cable is, but the black cable is MicroUSB (a very common charging connector nowadays). You also got an adapter that fits the older 30-pin Apple connector.

Steve
Old 07-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

The white cable appears to be a lightning connector.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
addman711

I've never seen the white cables connector before. The contacts are on the Outside of the plug? There are 8 contacts on each side. It is about the same size as a mini but looks like it would plug in either way as it is a perfect rectangle shape.

At this point I think I would rather have the Umbrella .... lol
Old 07-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
addman711

Yah I just looked up Lightning Connector and that is exactly what it is.

Well from what everyone has said I will assume it is a Tivo Gift and is a Universal Charger for All devices except mine.. lol

Thanks for the help.

Maybe I will put it on Ebay for like $600 bucks.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
magnus
Tivo User

I think I would not be posting that you were in a beta, much less the name of the beta.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I think I would not be posting that you were in a beta, much less the name of the beta.
Corrrect. The NDA agreed to persists even following the conclusion of the beta, and covers all details up to and beyond whether or not you even participated in a beta.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
MeInDallas

Quote:
At this point I think I would rather have the Umbrella .... lol
I wouldve rather had a few months of free service or something like that. I tried to give the umbrella away but no one wanted it because it has little Tivo's all over it
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Corrrect. The NDA agreed to persists even following the conclusion of the beta, and covers all details up to and beyond whether or not you even participated in a beta.
And how would you know?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
unitron

Since it has a plug for an automobile cigar lighter, it's obviously the new car radio TiVo!

unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Well from what everyone has said I will assume it is a Tivo Gift and is a Universal Charger for All devices except mine.. lol

Thanks for the help.

Your phone doesn't charge via USB?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
addman711

No Sorry it doesn't charge via USB, and I paid $7.79 for it Too... wtf.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

A gift card is better. They don't give those out any more after testing?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #20
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

Quote:

Thanks for the help.

I find your item very intriguing. Your price is right in my price range, and my favorite nephew is in desperate need for it. I will send you a check for $800. Please cash the check and send the item to me minus the shipping charge of up to $50, so a check to me of $150. This transaction is guaranteed by the National Nigerian Scammers Alliance, so you not to worry.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #21
Worf

I guess it's a universal smartphone charger kit with car kit.

It takes AC or 12V in, and outputs either USB to iPhone/iPod/iPad (either 30 pin via the adapter or Lightning) and to everything else using Micro-USB.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #22
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Ever since I stopped participating in things that require being a member of the NDA Club, every decent software update that comes out, you don't see people posting about mystery gifts from TiVo. But, every update that utterly disappoints, or makes my TiVo worse than it was, a thread pops up, about these mystery gifts, and people that obviously participated in beta testing, or field trials, break the biggest rule of participation, by disclosing it. So, these people who can't even grasp the basics of a NDA, are the same people entrusted to TEST software before if rolls out?

God help us all...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Ever since I stopped participating in things that require being a member of the NDA Club, every decent software update that comes out, you don't see people posting about mystery gifts from TiVo. But, every update that utterly disappoints, or makes my TiVo worse than it was, a thread pops up, about these mystery gifts, and people that obviously participated in beta testing, or field trials, break the biggest rule of participation, by disclosing it. So, these people who can't even grasp the basics of a NDA, are the same people entrusted to TEST software before if rolls out?

God help us all...
I think slamming NDA gagged testers may not be the best approach, just because you no longer are involved doesn't mean they're not doing thorough testing. If I were to find myself in that in that situation some day, I would be somewhat offended by your sweeping and derisive judgement of them.

While YOUR experience is that each revision makes your boxes a bigger POS than previous, that doesn't mean that everyone has the same result.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I think slamming NDA gagged testers may not be the best approach, just because you no longer are involved doesn't mean they're not doing thorough testing. If I were to find myself in that in that situation some day, I would be somewhat offended by your sweeping and derisive judgement of them.

While YOUR experience is that each revision makes your boxes a bigger POS than previous, that doesn't mean that everyone has the same result.
If you look at the basis of my post, I start off making an observation, that I DO GET DECENT UPDATES, and don't see threads popping up about mystery gifts, after those roll out. I then observe that updates I would rather have gone without, seem to be followed by people who can't even abide by the first, and second rules of NDA Club, reporting mystery gifts, and publicly break their NDA. The things that go on in testing involve FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS. So, if they can't even follow the first two rules, before even beginning, what would instill confidence that these participants can follow instructions?

There was at least one prior thread, where a former beta and field trial supervisor expressed, in a way, that those people were making TiVo look bad, breaking their NDAs, as well as making TiVo have to consider whether any future rewards could be given, without it leading to these things. Obviously, that TiVo supervisor was right. He also used similar emoticons.

One could simply look at it as Group A for Update "Delta" did a good job, a good update went out, and if they received gifts, nobody heard about it (the way it should be). Then Group B for Update "Zebra" did a lousy job, received gifts, violated their NDAs, and perhaps won't be invited to ever participate again (because they couldn't abide by the rules, and MAYBE didn't follow instructions they were given as testers), and will once again make TiVo have to consider if giving out gifts is worth it.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #25
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
If you look at the basis of my post, I start off making an observation, that I DO GET DECENT UPDATES, and don't see threads popping up about mystery gifts, after those roll out. I then observe that updates I would rather have gone without, seem to be followed by people who can't even abide by the first, and second rules of NDA Club, reporting mystery gifts, and publicly break their NDA. The things that go on in testing involve FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS. So, if they can't even follow the first two rules, before even beginning, what would instill confidence that these participants can follow instructions?

There was at least one prior thread, where a former beta and field trial supervisor expressed, in a way, that those people were making TiVo look bad, breaking their NDAs, as well as making TiVo have to consider whether any future rewards could be given, without it leading to these things. Obviously, that TiVo supervisor was right. He also used similar emoticons.

One could simply look at it as Group A for Update "Delta" did a good job, a good update went out, and if they received gifts, nobody heard about it (the way it should be). Then Group B for Update "Zebra" did a lousy job, received gifts, violated their NDAs, and perhaps won't be invited to ever participate again (because they couldn't abide by the rules, and MAYBE didn't follow instructions they were given as testers), and will once again make TiVo have to consider if giving out gifts is worth it.
Coaching your answers in relation to a few folks that were morons in regards to what they participated in does a disservice to the number of folks we don't know about who are able to do what's asked.

I've done beta for other fields in the past, and the majority of folks involved are good solid testers, and in those instances we found tons of issues (and managed to follow instructions) since the vendor and the product no longer exist I'm willing to say something on the issue. I also know at the time that we found bugs that were considered "acceptable risk" for the released product.

To suggest with the sweeping generalization of
Quote:
God help us all...
is what really ticked me off, if someone had that opinion when I was doing testing back then, I'd consider it quite rude and insulting, thus my willingness to step in and say it now.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #26
Richard Cranium

Quote:

Thanks for the help.

I know youre kidding, but I sell those for $4.99 without the TiVo logo.
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #27
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Coaching your answers in relation to a few folks that were morons in regards to what they participated in does a disservice to the number of folks we don't know about who are able to do what's asked.

I've done beta for other fields in the past, and the majority of folks involved are good solid testers, and in those instances we found tons of issues (and managed to follow instructions) since the vendor and the product no longer exist I'm willing to say something on the issue. I also know at the time that we found bugs that were considered "acceptable risk" for the released product.

To suggest with the sweeping generalization of is what really ticked me off, if someone had that opinion when I was doing testing back then, I'd consider it quite rude and insulting, thus my willingness to step in and say it now.
I understand what you mean. I have no interest in dragging this out. There's more I'd like to add, but I don't have the luxury of no longer being a member of NDA Club. Mine is still active, even though it is years old. Just because I chose/choose not to participate, and it has been years, doesn't take that albatross off from my neck.

I can't even relay why I made the choice. I can say I feel in a position to do more good, and speak more freely, by making the choice I did.

Before anybody accuses me of breaking my own NDA, I'll point out that I never said who the other party, on the other end of the NDA agreement is.

You are right about one thing, for sure... The people whom I "attacked" as a group, have no voice, unless they break any NDA they agreed to. Every group has good and bad apples. If I could go back in time, I'd never have become a member of NDA club, with any entity.

Then again, I did learn a lot. Unfortunately, I can't share or discuss that acquired knowledge, only use it for my own, on my own.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-08-2013 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #28
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Wait a minute. Maybe this is why we don't yet have DTA for the Mini!

They stopped development on it to make a cell phone charger!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #29
SnakeEyes

Not that there are other betas..
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
Arcady
Stargate Fan

This makes me not want to be a beta tester They just give you cheap chinese crap with tivo stickers on it? I can do that myself.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote