TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Johncv

Report: Liberty wants to merge Cox with Charter Read more: Report: Liberty wants to

Is this good or bad?

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/rep...ource=internal

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Mergers are almost always bad for consumers, aren't they? But cable companies don't directly compete anyway, each having their own territories, so the impact is limited. It probably just increases their lobbying power (bad).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
tenthplanet

I smell Anti-Trust and the DOJ coming. Look what they did with the cell phone providers.
Not to mention the networks would not like this either.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

A reported email from Pat Esser, President of Cox Communications:

Quote:
Date: August 2, 2013
To: ! CCI - Mail Users Nationwide
Subject: Acquisition rumors
You may have seen or heard reports and speculation in the cable industry regarding Liberty Media’s recent investment in Charter Communications and the company’s interest in acquiring other cable companies. As with any industry, mergers, acquisitions and strategic investments occur from time to time and the press often speculates on potential scenarios when rumors emerge.

One recent report even says that I have met with representatives from Liberty Media and Charter to discuss a merger. This is not true. While our standard policy is to not comment in the press on rumors related to mergers and acquisitions, the media continues to persist with these rumors and I felt it important to let you know that they are just that – rumors and speculation.

What we do know—thanks to your work and that of the entire CCI team—is that we are well-positioned for long-term success and we’ll continue our journey, together. On behalf of the senior team, thank you for remaining focused on the great work you do each day to deliver the Cox experience to our millions of customers.

Sincerely, Pat
Some other News from Bloomberg
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/cox-c...l0HwpKa2A.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
tivogurl

Might be ok if Cox dropped its tuning adapters.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

There was also rumor of talks of a tieup between Charter and Time Warner Cable within the last few weeks.

Edit: erm, yeah, as the article said. Guess I should've read that first, huh?
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Might be ok if Cox dropped its tuning adapters.
Why would this make Cox drop the tuning adapters?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Why would this make Cox drop the tuning adapters?
It probably wouldn't. What's wrong with a dream?
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

If it added more funding for an upgrade in my area then I'd be fine with it. We're using some antiquated system that hasn't been upgraded in years. The next town over, Reno, has over a hundred HD channels and all the analog channels simulcast. We have 22 HD channels and about 35 analog only channels that screw up my ability to record on my 4 tuner TiVo.

Personally I'd be fine with a complete digital conversion like they did in Texas, but even that requires replacing all the cable boxes so I'm not sure they'll do it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote