TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
nigebj

Arrow TivoHD Sound/Video stuttering - not HD - RESOLVED: Bad PSU

I have had Series 2 and TivoHD devices, upgraded them all to 1TB and therefore know a little about disks and Tivo.

I've searched here, but did not find clues - just the statement this is drive 99% of the time ... seems like I might be in the 1% - but what causes the 1%, can't find clues - anyone have ideas ?

Symptoms/Steps so far

Current TivoHD started 'glitching' yesterday - recordings and Live. Appears to be read as glitch position is inconsistent. So, ordered a new drive (on it's way) and swapped original 160GB drive in tonight to try to ensure current drive does not fail completely before I can save the content.

Boots up, updates the software to the latest version. Boots and I switch it to Live TV. It's glitching - same symptoms which are very short video freezez accompanied by an audio buzz (like the sound is stretched) ... as well as occasional audio buzz (sounds exactly like Americas Got Talent 'X' sound) but no visible video glitch.

Original drive has been on shelf for probably 3-4 years, but seems rather remarkable that both drives would behave the same ...

So - anyone have clues as to what else might be failing ?

I have a totally unused 652160 on the shelf, so have all replacement parts - of course I can't just swap mobo in as the crypt id will be different - so Lifetime will be lost, as well as all current recordings.

Any ideas from the bright folks here ???

Last edited by nigebj : 07-03-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Updated no resolved
nigebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
nigebj

So after further digging I came across the Bad Caps power supply problem. Visual inspections did not identify anything which looked really bad on the PSU board, however as I had the other (never used) 652160 on the shelf I swapped in the PSU board from that one (totally different design, with about 1/3 the number of components - also much better assembled). All issues resolved.

One other forgotten symptom - the 'pop' as you move from menu item to menu item had gone a while ago, and occasionally the Tivo sound got totally muted and only restart would get it back. So a whole collection of little symptoms from the presumably dirty power supply - hopefully no permanent damage to anything else.

If anyone familiar with the PSU issues knows of any 'knock on' effects to watch out for, please let me know. I'm going to swap out my 5 year old 1TB drive for the new one I ordered - but that's just preventative.

Thanks for the info. in the forums - finally got me going in the right direction.

Last edited by nigebj : 07-03-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo
nigebj is offline   Reply With Quote