TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
MrDell

Purchasing another Tivo

I have a Tivo premiere two tuner which I enjoy. In the future if I purchase an additional Romeo for a bedroom, and add it to my home network (Ethernet) will I be able to watch TV or recordings that are on my original premiere? Unfortunately I don't think a mini will hook up to my two tuner premiere.
MrDell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDell View Post
I have a Tivo premiere two tuner which I enjoy. In the future if I purchase an additional Romeo for a bedroom, and add it to my home network (Ethernet) will I be able to watch TV or recordings that are on my original premiere? Unfortunately I don't think a mini will hook up to my two tuner premiere.
That's Roamio, not Romeo, but the answer is yes -- you will be able to share recordings between them. I have a Premiere XL and an older TiVo HD. Because the HD is a Series 3 model, I can't stream between them, but I can transfer recordings. Since your Premiere and any newer model would be Series 4 and later, you would be allowed to stream recordings between them, thereby letting you watch without needing to wait on a transfer.
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDell View Post
If that Premiere isn't lifetimed already, be sure to read through this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509228

to see if you might be able to leverage the new TiVo purchase into getting lifetime for that Premiere for $99 (and the MSD rate for the new TiVo).

And remember, you have the most leverage when you are about to buy a new one but they don't have your money yet and they want to keep you happy until they do, and when you are about to cancel the sub on the old one (when they should be thinking $99 is $99 more than $0).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
chicagobrownblue

If you price match the $149 Roamio basic price from Amazon.com at Best Buy, they also give you a $50 gift certificate for a net cost of $100.

You could then copy the programs from the Premiere to the Roamio and potentially get a mini to replace the Premiere. Or as was mentioned get a $99 lifetime offer when you go to cancel the service on your Premiere.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Only the 4 tuner Premiere models can stream to a mini. Roamio can stream, but you can start a transfer/copy from a roamio as the middleman and then stream to mini at the same time.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Only the 4 tuner Premiere models can stream to a mini. Roamio can stream, but you can start a transfer/copy from a roamio as the middleman and then stream to mini at the same time.
No... Only 4 tuner Premiers, or any model Roamio can host/pair with/support a Mini.

Once you've set up your Mini, you can stream shows from ANY Premier or Roamio in your home.... just like any other series 4 or 5 tivo, scroll to the bottom of your Now Playing list, pick the other unit, and hit play on any show. I do it all the time, streaming shows from my 2 tuner premier.

If the unit that has the show on it is a series 3 or older, you have to MRV (copy) the show to a series 4 or 5 unit, and then you can MRS (stream) it to the Mini. And, of course, this will only work if the copy bit is set right on that show to allow copying.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
MrDell

Thank You

Thank you for all your input. Looking back I wish I had purchased the 4 tuner premier instead of the two tuner model. I could have paired the mini up with the 4 tuner model, but who knew the Mini would be out later! Also the "over the air" tuner in the two tuner model looked attractive in case I wanted to cut the cord at some point, BUT........ If you need internet and phone from a cable provider, it isn't that much more money to add a few cable channels when you "bundle" their service. They give a pretty good discount when you buy the three services as a bundle. Oh Well.
MrDell is online now   Reply With Quote