TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
tivoknucklehead

No guide data after 7:30 pm July 2

But my TiVo is connecting ok. Anyone else?
I should by now at least have through July 4 7:30 pm
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

I'm the same. My last connection was at 6:30 AM today.

I'm not really concerned about it unless it doesn't update for a few days.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
lujan

No, I'm also only showing guide data until 7/2/13 but I usually don't go that far into the future anyway. 7/3/13 is showing "To Be Announced".
6 DVD
lujan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
eric102

Hmm, 10 days out has been normal for my Tivo's recently. Did it used to be 12 days or more?
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

They normally store 14 days of guide data, usually 2 previous and 12 forward
Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Same here. Two days I haven't gotten data (today would be day 3).
Old 06-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

And I just got three days' worth.

So I guess it's not some kind of Tivoyan 2013 End of the World thing after all....
Old 06-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

At the moment I am showing only 10 days of future guide data, ending 07/02/2013, which is unusual. It should be 14. Last connection was this morning at 3:58am. Says it is connected NOW, too.... which is also unusual. I remember reading on another thread about the daily connections now occurring multiple times a day...
Old 06-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
At the moment I am showing only 10 days of future guide data, ending 07/02/2013, which is unusual. It should be 14. Last connection was this morning at 3:58am. Says it is connected NOW, too.... which is also unusual. I remember reading on another thread about the daily connections now occurring multiple times a day...
Update- the connection finished loading and now guide data ends on 07/05, 13 days from now. Next connection scheduled for tomorrow at 5 something pm.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

This happens every once and while; and people start wearing their tinfoil hats and head to the caves.....geez...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Jed1

My TiVo still has guide data until Tuesday July 2nd 7:30 PM. The logs say it will connect to TiVo service tomorrow at 12:10 PM. I hope it updates by then.

The last time my TiVo successfully connected to the service was this morning at 9:51 AM. I do not understand why the guide doesn't update every day like TVGOS used to unless there is a problem with Tribune Media Services.
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
But my TiVo is connecting ok. Anyone else?
I should by now at least have through July 4 7:30 pm
I just checked and I'm seeing program data through Fri 7/5 at 7:30pm. I'm on the east coast with Comcast. Last connection was Sat 6/22 at 2:43pm. Next attempt will be Sun 6/23 6:00am.

Last edited by JWhites : 06-22-2013 at 05:47 PM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
tivoknucklehead

ok, just caught up
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
JoeKustra
Cable only

Hamsters have been fed.
JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
sieglinde

Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
Jed1

I noticed again that my guide is falling behind as there is no listings from July 5th 8:00 PM.
I am new to TiVo and I thought that the guide would update daily as TVGOS did.
I had to manually connect to TiVo service on Saturday night as my recording of Independence Day on A&E HD was incorrect. My TiVo had it starting at 8 PM and ending at 11 PM, then Longmeire from 11 PM to 12 AM, followed by a repeat of Independence Day at Longmeire again.
After getting the guide update A&E HD had the correct listings with Criminal Minds at 8 PM to 9 PM and Independence Day at 9 PM to 12 AM, then the two shows repeated.
In my case, if the TiVo updated every day then this bad recording never would have happened. I did record the repeat airing of Independence Day at 1 AM to 4 AM.
I am assuming that the guide will update tomorrow afternoon. My next scheduled download is Tuesday at 4:10 PM. I am going to let it go and see if it updates itself this time as I do not have any scheduled recording until tomorrow night.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It has been wonky the past week, but I hasten to add that this is VERY unusual...in fact, it's unusual to miss a day's data, ever.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #18
PotentiallyCoherent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And I just got three days' worth.

So I guess it's not some kind of Tivoyan 2013 End of the World thing after all....
Thanks, I was sweating it pretty hard...
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentiallyCoherent View Post
Thanks, I was sweating it pretty hard...
If this is the "new normal", today we should get listings until 7pm July 8. They might skip a day due to the 4th.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I noticed again that my guide is falling behind as there is no listings from July 5th 8:00 PM.
I am new to TiVo and I thought that the guide would update daily as TVGOS did.
I had to manually connect to TiVo service on Saturday night as my recording of Independence Day on A&E HD was incorrect. My TiVo had it starting at 8 PM and ending at 11 PM, then Longmeire from 11 PM to 12 AM, followed by a repeat of Independence Day at Longmeire again.
After getting the guide update A&E HD had the correct listings with Criminal Minds at 8 PM to 9 PM and Independence Day at 9 PM to 12 AM, then the two shows repeated.
In my case, if the TiVo updated every day then this bad recording never would have happened. I did record the repeat airing of Independence Day at 1 AM to 4 AM.
I am assuming that the guide will update tomorrow afternoon. My next scheduled download is Tuesday at 4:10 PM. I am going to let it go and see if it updates itself this time as I do not have any scheduled recording until tomorrow night.
If you're worrying about bogus recordings 10 days out on a Tivo, you're going to be worrying all the time. Again, like I said over on AVS, don't sweat the small stuff. Anything you see in the ToDo List more than 7 days out is often suspect (at least for SPs and WLs) and is nothing to be concerned about, nor are a few days missing from the end of the guide. There's no reason to obsess over this stuff, it almost always works itself out.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
If you're worrying about bogus recordings 10 days out on a Tivo, you're going to be worrying all the time. Again, like I said over on AVS, don't sweat the small stuff. Anything you see in the ToDo List more than 7 days out is often suspect (at least for SPs and WLs) and is nothing to be concerned about, nor are a few days missing from the end of the guide. There's no reason to obsess over this stuff, it almost always works itself out.
But he was talking about a case when it almost didn't work out...where, if he had not forced the call and gotten the finally-updated Guide Data, he would have missed a recording that night.

Which, granted, is a very unusual circumstance...last-minute schedule changes. But apparently, in his case it happened.

(You realize he was talking about Independence Day the movie, not Independence Day the day, right?)
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But he was talking about a case when it almost didn't work out...where, if he had not forced the call and gotten the finally-updated Guide Data, he would have missed a recording that night.

Which, granted, is a very unusual circumstance...last-minute schedule changes. But apparently, in his case it happened.

(You realize he was talking about Independence Day the movie, not Independence Day the day, right?)
"It almost didn't work out" assumes that the change was made available before the day of the broadcast. It's most likely that the change was not available until the day of broadcast. If the Tivo didn't make a daily connection after 3pm EDT it won't have the updated data. It also wouldn't get updated in time if it made a daily connection too close to broadcast time for the data to get indexed.
This is another case of someone not fully understanding how the daily updates work. New data is not actually retrieved with every connection.

Last edited by scandia101 : 06-25-2013 at 08:13 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
"It almost didn't work out" assumes that the change was made available before the day of the broadcast. It's most likely that the change was not available until the day of broadcast. If the Tivo didn't make a daily connection after 1pm EDT it won't have the updated data. It also wouldn't get updated in time if it made a daily connection too close to broadcast time for the data to get indexed.
This is another case of someone not fully understanding how the daily updates work. New data is not actually retrieved with every connection.
Rob Helmerichs is correct. I noticed that the guide data for A&E HD was wrong for Saturday night as I checked in on the channel while it was recording. I realized that Independence Day should have been much further into the movie so I went to Zap2It and noticed that the movie started at 9 PM and not 8 PM as indicated in the TiVo guide.
Since it had been reported here that members were getting the guide updates on Saturday, I forced the TiVo to connect to the service to get the guide update as my TiVo was not scheduled to connect to the service until Sunday morning at 11 AM. After it updated my TiVo had the correct listings for A&E HD showing Independence Day starting at 9 PM instead of 8 PM.

I figure that the guide updates every third day so I just checked my TiVo, as it was scheduled to connect to the service at 5:44 PM. When I checked the guide at 5:30 PM the guide data stopped at Friday July 5th at 7:30 PM. I then checked at 5:46 PM and it was still the same but I went to the connect to TiVo service menu and it showed connection in progress so I watched the progress and it took 22 minutes for the download to complete. I then went and checked the guide and now I have listings extending out to July 8th 7:30 PM.
Since the guide only updates every three days the next update will be Friday afternoon and the guide will be filled in and corrected up until July 11th 7:30 PM.

Just because the TiVo connects to the service every 24 to 28 hours does not mean it downloads anything. I watched it connect to the service yesterday and the process only took a minute or two. And as I said it took 22 minutes today because it downloaded new guide data.
The TiVo also connects for something called VCM every two hours or so. I think one thing that happens here is it updates any changes to your recordings list or recordings set on TiVo.com.

Last edited by Jed1 : 06-25-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #24
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
The TiVo also connects for something called VCM every two hours or so. I think one thing that happens here is it updates any changes to your recordings list or recordings set on TiVo.com.
That's the TiVo telling the NSA what you have been watching.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #25
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
That's the TiVo telling the NSA what you have been watching.
You might be right. I been trying to get instant email notifications for this site and I never receive anything. I guess the NSA forgot to forward them to me.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #26
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Rob Helmerichs is correct. I noticed that the guide data for A&E HD was wrong for Saturday night as I checked in on the channel while it was recording. I realized that Independence Day should have been much further into the movie so I went to Zap2It and noticed that the movie started at 9 PM and not 8 PM as indicated in the TiVo guide.
Since it had been reported here that members were getting the guide updates on Saturday, I forced the TiVo to connect to the service to get the guide update as my TiVo was not scheduled to connect to the service until Sunday morning at 11 AM. After it updated my TiVo had the correct listings for A&E HD showing Independence Day starting at 9 PM instead of 8 PM.

I figure that the guide updates every third day so I just checked my TiVo, as it was scheduled to connect to the service at 5:44 PM. When I checked the guide at 5:30 PM the guide data stopped at Friday July 5th at 7:30 PM. I then checked at 5:46 PM and it was still the same but I went to the connect to TiVo service menu and it showed connection in progress so I watched the progress and it took 22 minutes for the download to complete. I then went and checked the guide and now I have listings extending out to July 8th 7:30 PM.
Since the guide only updates every three days the next update will be Friday afternoon and the guide will be filled in and corrected up until July 11th 7:30 PM.

Just because the TiVo connects to the service every 24 to 28 hours does not mean it downloads anything. I watched it connect to the service yesterday and the process only took a minute or two. And as I said it took 22 minutes today because it downloaded new guide data.
Like I said some people just don't fully understand how the update process works.

The reason your Tivo didn't have the correct up to date data is because it made it's "daily" connection that day before the new updated correct information was released.

Under normal circumstances, Tivos do not update every three days, they update daily - 7 days /week and it's been that way since 1998. That updated data is made available by Tivo everyday at 1pm EDT. If a Tivo connects before that time, it will only have the most up to date data. Service connections are not made every 24 to 28 hours. There can be as little as 4 hours between connections or as much as about 40 hours. Just this past weekend my Premiere made three "daily" connections in about 18 hours.

As for the VCM connection, nobody here knows what it is and Tivo isn't saying, so your opinion is pure speculation and wrong. Tivos check every 6 minutes (10 times/hr) for recordings scheduled online.

Last edited by scandia101 : 06-25-2013 at 08:18 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #27
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
You might be right. I been trying to get instant email notifications for this site and I never receive anything. I guess the NSA forgot to forward them to me.
That's odd. You can add instant email during a reply or from User CP for a selected thread. You do know ptd doesn't allow uppercase? Just a guess.

I always use Gmail and let it forward to my Verizon account.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
The reason your Tivo didn't have the correct up to date data is because it made it's "daily" connection that day before the new updated correct information was released.
In this case, that may or may not be true, since the Guide Data wasn't updated the two previous days. It's entirely possible that the corrected info should have gone out the day before, or the day before that, but didn't because of whatever has been going on this past week (today, I just had Day 3 without Guide Data again).
Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
That's odd. You can add instant email during a reply or from User CP for a selected thread. You do know ptd doesn't allow uppercase? Just a guess.

I always use Gmail and let it forward to my Verizon account.
Thanks Joe but mine are all lower case for ptd. I am using the same for AVS and the instant notifications are working.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
Jed1

Quote:
Like I said some people just don't fully understand how the update process works.

Under normal circumstances, Tivos do not update every three days, they update daily - 7 days /week and it's been that way since 1998. That updated data is made available by Tivo everyday at 1pm EDT. If a Tivo connects before that time, it will only have the most up to date data. Service connections are not made every 24 to 28 hours. There can be as little as 4 hours between connections or as much as about 40 hours. Just this past weekend my Premiere made three "daily" connections in about 18 hours.

As for the VCM connection, nobody here knows what it is and Tivo isn't saying, so your opinion is pure speculation and wrong. Tivos check every 6 minutes (10 times/hr) for recordings scheduled online.
I set the recording for Independence Day on Thursday morning. My TiVo has been successfully connecting to the service but it does not mean that the guide data is being updated every time the TiVo connects to the service.
The improper listing was not corrected on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I forced the connection to the service Saturday night as I seen that my TiVo was not scheduled to connect to the service until Sunday morning around 10 or 11 AM. I think it last connected to the server at 11:10 AM Saturday. The updated listings did not become available until Saturday afternoon so if the TiVo is connecting to the service more than once a day mine didn't do it in time to correct the listings on A&E HD that night, which has existed since Wednesday afternoon.

As for the VCM connection I assumed that it has something to do with the data on the TiVo and the data that is in the account on TiVo.com.
My TiVo made a recording of Major Crimes on Monday at 9 PM and it did not show up in my TiVo.com account until after 3 PM this afternoon, which is right after a VCM connection that occurred at 3:10 PM this afternoon.
Tomorrow I will schedule a test recording on TiVo.com and see how long it takes to show up on my TiVo. It is possible that these are reported faster than the TiVo reporting what was done on the TiVo itself.