TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
DLiquid
Progressive User

Do No Harm "Pilot" 01/31/13

I didn't expect to like this, but I found it entertaining. There were a couple of moments that reminded me of Memento, like when he changed into his alter-ego while in the middle of a fist fight.

I'm not sure how long it will keep my interest though. Week after week of this could get old fast if the show becomes formulaic. This is the kind of show that I would prefer as a single season, so that they could write an interesting story arc that would be resolved. I really have no interest in watching this guy Jekyll and Hyde through multiple seasons, but as a single season I think it could work. Of course, it will most likely be canceled, in which case I'll get my wish of the single season but probably not the full resolution of the story.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
zalusky

I don't want to threadcrap but I have to say the promos just turned me off with no desire to watch it. It makes me wonder what the heck NBC is thinking. Pure gimmicry!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
DLiquid
Progressive User

I felt kind of the same way after watching the promos. I probably would not have enjoyed it as much without the low expectations.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
59er
TiVotee

I read that the ratings were historically bad. I bet this doesn't last out the month.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

We thought it was pretty good.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
We thought it was pretty good.
I did too but I also have to wonder how long they could keep it up.

But it premiered with 0.9 rating in 18-49 last night so I'm pretty sure this series is toast.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Per EW:
Do No Harm ranks as the lowest-rated in-season broadcast scripted series debut in TV history among the Big Four networks (since at least 1987 when the current ratings measurement system was adopted).

Wasn't that bad, I do watch 2 shows it's up against Scandal and Elementary.
Bad time slot? I hope they give it a shot to build, maybe everyone DVR'd it??

Debuting it during Feb. sweeps maybe not a good idea....

Last edited by TIVO_GUY_HERE : 02-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

It did worse than that CW show last year? I can't even remember the name? LA Complex???
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Family

What's the surprise that it was the lowest rated in-season broadcast scripted series debut in TV history among the Big Four networks? NBC offered virtually an identical (only much better) series last year in the same time period at nearly the same time of year and it flopped similarily.

Awake might not have been a record breaker, but it's ratings were this bad at the end.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

One of my pet peeves: When "has vague similarities" becomes "virtually identical."
Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
One of my pet peeves: When "has vague similarities" becomes "virtually identical."
You think the premise of these series have only vague similarities? All I thought of was Awake.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I can't even see vague similarities, to be honest. They really have nothing in common.

How would you describe these similarities?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
laria
Librocubicularist

Oops, I forgot this was starting. Forgot to set up the recording.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
sharkster

Recorded, but haven't watched yet. Wanted to read what the folks here had to say about it. Not that that would change my opinion, but I enjoy the (often) intelligent conversation that also helps me not miss stuff that I can sometimes miss when I'm tired.

BTW, a lot of us who Tivo shows are Nielsen 'families' through Tivo, so we get counted. I would imagine, however, that we are most likely in the minority of the over all amount of people who use Tivos/DVRs.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I didn't hate the show, but I didn't like it enough to continue watching.

I know if he did any of these things, then it wouldn't be much of a show. Why didn't the guy get real help years ago? He's an intelligent doctor. You'd think he'd be smart enough to get help and not give up until he was cured.

An extreme thing I was thinking. If his bad guy is truly that evil. That he hurts and maybe kills innocent people. Maybe the good guy should just end himself for the good of the rest of the world.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Big Deficit
Happy now?

As just about everyone has said, not great but better than expected. No reason to get involved though. With those ratings, there's already no chance this will survive. I don't know how many episodes are already committed, but there won't be any more than that.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I liked it. Totally didn't see the blood sugar test trick coming until he was scrubbing in... then I realized what would happen, although not exactly how (didn't see the insulin shot twist--but I'm not a medical person). Of course the entire idea that he could beat up a cop like that, or throw people off of balconies at clubs, and not be arrested or anything is ridiculous. Still. Definitely not the worst I've seen.

I'm having a little trouble not calling him Sean though...
Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
What's the surprise that it was the lowest rated in-season broadcast scripted series debut in TV history among the Big Four networks? NBC offered virtually an identical (only much better) series last year in the same time period at nearly the same time of year and it flopped similarily.

Awake might not have been a record breaker, but it's ratings were this bad at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
You think the premise of these series have only vague similarities? All I thought of was Awake.
My Own Worst Enemy was much closer in concept to this than Awake.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #19
LlamaLarry

I did not see any promos so I went in blind. We liked it.

I am still a little confused by Dr Solis and why she is so pissed. From what we saw she looked like a willing participant, including his recollection of holding her against the wall and dropping her bra. I guess she tried to do it someplace really uncomfortable place (like the backseat of a Volkswagen)? She just seemed *really* PO'd and afraid of him for what she revealed in the street. I'm still not sure why he didn't just come clean with it to her.

I dated a Type 1 diabetic for 3 years in college and have several Type 2 and Type 1 in my family, not really certain I have heard that "aggression will increase testosterone, which will test like high blood sugar" bit. And 300's does not strike me as a get three guys, hold him down and jab him with insulin until he passes out kind of emergency. Now that he has burned that detection method with Ian he now has to convince their hospital's Cuddy (I cannot remember Phylicia Rashad's character name) that his pancreas is apparently all better.

Based on the ratings you guys mentioned I guess I won't have to worry about it.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
Cainebj

I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #21
tiams

I really liked it, but I am also a big fan of Memento and Awake. Reminded me a lot of both. The scene where he checked into the motel reminded me of all the motel lobby scenes in memento.

I thought of Awake every time he woke up. Like Awake, he is living two lives. Also, in both shows there was a time limit for how long he stayed in each life. In Awake and in this he has professionals helping him with his disorder.

The son who belongs to both personalities would be an interesting plot line.

It is a great premise and they should give it a chance. NBC should make the pilot available everywhere, promote it, and schedule it where it has a chance. I also watch Elementary so that is a conflict for me, and I'm sure lots of people already watch Scandal.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
I am still a little confused by Dr Solis and why she is so pissed. From what we saw she looked like a willing participant, including his recollection of holding her against the wall and dropping her bra. I guess she tried to do it someplace really uncomfortable place (like the backseat of a Volkswagen)? She just seemed *really* PO'd and afraid of him for what she revealed in the street. I'm still not sure why he didn't just come clean with it to her.
Maybe you have to be a woman to understand. At first she thought he was the nice guy she knew. He obviously revealed himself to be a bad, scary, dangerous psycho and at that point she was no longer "a willing participant". She was not capable of overpowering him and walking away so what we saw was her just hoping to get it over and get out of there alive.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I really liked it, but I am also a big fan of Memento and Awake. Reminded me a lot of both. The scene where he checked into the motel reminded me of all the motel lobby scenes in memento.
I liked both of those too, but I don't see that much similarity. In both of those the guy was pretty much stuck in the situation. This guy needs to sign himself into a high security mental hospital and get treatment. Period.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I liked it, but really this is NBC's third go round on this premise and the first two didn't get ratings (I liked the first two for the record, My Own Worst Enemy and Awake). But I like these quirky different shows over the usual stuff we see. Unfortunately they rarely get ratings, which is why we see the same old. I'll probably watch until it gets cancelled.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I wish somebody would explain to me how Awake is even vaguely similar in premise to Do No Harm...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #26
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I wish somebody would explain to me how Awake is even vaguely similar in premise to Do No Harm...
I guess it's just the "one person living two lives" connection. Beyond that there is no simlarity.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #27
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

What was "My Own Worst Enemy" about? I watched like one episode of it and Awake before giving up on both.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaThunder View Post
I guess it's just the "one person living two lives" connection. Beyond that there is no simlarity.
This. Yeah, they are different in most ways, but it's the whole "person living two lives in one body and each doesn't know what the other is doing" thing.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
This. Yeah, they are different in most ways, but it's the whole "person living two lives in one body and each doesn't know what the other is doing" thing.
Except that doesn't really describe either show. Do No Harm has two people living in one body, and Awake had one person living in two bodies in two alternate realities, fully aware of everything that was going on in both worlds.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
newsposter
Poster of News

ill keep watching but hope it gets canceled. i just hate giving up on shows!

i also really am not into medical things and didnt realize this was going to be half the show. seems like a number of people know about his condition but i wish we had a bit of backstory about it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote