TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
javabird

Did Comcast stop giving Service Discount for using Tivo?

I used to get a Service Discount of $2.82 for using my own Tivo with cable card instead of their cable box. I just got my bill for this month and the service discount was gone. Has anyone else noticed a change on their bill? (I'm in the Seattle/Redmond area). I searched their website but didn't find anything.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Davelnlr_

As of this week, I am still getting it in the Little Rock, Ar area.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
austinpike

Seems random like all things Comcast. I was getting credit for one, I changed plans in January, credit went away, on the last bill I started getting credit for two of them.
austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpike View Post
Seems random like all things Comcast. I was getting credit for one, I changed plans in January, credit went away, on the last bill I started getting credit for two of them.
I changed plans a couple of months ago, so maybe that caused something to reset. I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
HerronScott

You only get the credit if the package you subscribe to includes Comcast equipment and you don't have that equipment since you are using the TiVo in its place. Our local Digital Preferred package did not include an STB until a few months ago so we were not getting the credit until they started to include it with the latest rate restructuring.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
buscuitboy

I have found with Comcast that ANYTHING is possible. I had these "equipment credits" go away and then "outlet fees" pop up at times. However, I recently learned that a certain rep at my local office is somehow able to add cable cards to my account for only a $1.50 per card and then I wind up getting a $2.50/card equipment credit. Therefore, I basically have 6 cable cards and they are being charged a basic rate of $1.50 per card for the first 5 (since the first one is free)

I know, makes NO SENSE, but its the way it is....for now. It could change at ANY moment & when it does, I'll deal with it and go back into my local office to try and "straighten it out". That is Comcrap for you.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I know, makes NO SENSE, but its the way it is....for now. It could change at ANY moment & when it does, I'll deal with it and go back into my local office to try and "straighten it out". That is Comcrap for you.
Having been with Comcast for 12 years now, it seems to me that the reps in the local office have a lot of leeway in changing things in the billing system. And by leeway, I mean from a technical perspective, not that they're really *authorized* to do it. Anyway, the locals reps will adjust things and cut fees here and there to keep you happy, if they're in the mood that day. Then it seems from time to time, Comcast runs some program that scrubs all the accounts for anomalies, at which point those deals disappear.

I know I had 3 cable cards for 3 or 4 years where I was paying *nothing*, including no additional outlet charges! Then late last year I got a form letter saying Comcast found I was being incorrectly billed for years. My adjusted bill went up by $30+ per month. It took me a few weeks to get my bill close to what it had been before.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
JoeTaxpayer

I am in Massachusetts. I get a $2.50 credit for no first box. Then they nail me for addition outlet fees on next outlets.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
javabird

I called Comcast and they said it did indeed look like an error and they were going to fix it in next month's bill, but would only be able to give me a partial credit. When I complained about that, the rep offered me 3 months HBO free. So I took the offer and now I'm a happy camper.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
heyted

"Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device."
FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Bigg

I'm getting -$2.61 for the CableCard reimbursement fee. The bill is completely ridiculous, it's almost impossible to figure out what's getting charged for what, and with all the credits and charges, the bill is different every month. I just know I'm paying about $94/mo for Blast!, all the cable channels, and HBO for the first year of my promotional package.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
CAAvidTivoUser

Watch your Comcast bill

I need to watch my Comcast bill every month. Some how they sneak in charges that don't even apply. I then have to call them up to have it reversed.
CAAvidTivoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAvidTivoUser View Post
I need to watch my Comcast bill every month. Some how they sneak in charges that don't even apply. I then have to call them up to have it reversed.
I watch the total. I tried to figure out what the charges and credits were one day, and I gave up. They must have hired consultants to see how confusing they could make the bill!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
CAAvidTivoUser

Oh, you should try changing plans in the middle of a billing cycle! First, they list the new plan and all of the charges, then they list all of the partial billing. I thought I was smart and would try to figure it out. I got even more aggravated when I called them to help me decipher the bill.
CAAvidTivoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
I thought I was smart and would try to figure it out .
it's not you. No one is smart enough to understand this.

I called to say I saw I was being charged for the DTAs. One of them drives an old TiVo series 2, the other wasn't being used. The agent said they'd send a box for me to ship it back. The CC office is out of my way, so I agreed. Sent back.
A week later, I was looking at my bill on line and saw there was only one DTA. So I threw out the UPS receipt.
Next bill shows two DTAs. I call and said that one part of the CC site with my list of equipment showed one DTA, but I'm getting billed for two. Agent agrees, and said it wasn't loaded right. Two days later, I go to the series 2 with DTA and see its not functioning. I call again, and the agent asks which DTA had an issue, she saw two on the account. Another 15 minutes to clear that up. When dealing with Comcast, it's less about the money than it is about the countless hours to clear things up after the simplest of changes.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post
"Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device."
FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
Thank you for this. I will need to have it when I go to the Comcast store tonight. They still haven't fixed my bill (which was supposed to be corrected on the last month's billing) -- instead, this month they ADDED a fee for both an outlet and a digital adapter. (I've given up on trying to call them. When I call, they keep telling me inconsistent stories and then the next month the bill still isn't corrected. And when you call you can't get any record of what they promised you so there's nothing you can do to verify what they promised you.)
Old 07-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
I've given up on trying to call them. When I call, they keep telling me inconsistent stories and then the next month the bill still isn't corrected. And when you call you can't get any record of what they promised you so there's nothing you can do to verify what they promised you.
I would not expect that you'll get any more information from the local office. They likely do not deal with cablecards very frequently, I would expect your experience there to be worse than on the cablecard hotline.

If you need to get something addressed/escallated, you should use the executive complaint email/phone numbers. THAT will get something corrected.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
Bigg

Quote:
Oh, you should try changing plans in the middle of a billing cycle! First, they list the new plan and all of the charges, then they list all of the partial billing. I thought I was smart and would try to figure it out. I got even more aggravated when I called them to help me decipher the bill.
The problem is, we're probably smarter than the people trying to help on the phone.