TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
With Aereo, you would be streaming ALL of your programming, not just Netflix. With HD channels at 1.5 to 2 GB per hour, you will hit the Comcast home use cap. For full time streaming, you would need the uncapped commercial service which steps the price up a bit. (starts at about $60 a month for 15Mbit service ).

No, as long as the internet providers have the caps, a full time streaming solution will not be feasible.
I cut the cord a number of years ago. I currently have no OTA and use streaming pretty much exclusively for content (except for a few DVDs per month). We watch at least an hour of streaming per day, and many days it will be more like 3-4 hours. Both my wife and I work from home and do a lot of work on the internet, stream radio, use a VPN, etc... I still don't think I've ever broken 100GB in a month. My weekly average seems to hover around 15GB or so according to my router.

I don't stream in full HD, which I know would be a deal breaker for some (I actually find that HD degrades the experience, so I'm happy to do without it).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #32
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It's totally the opposite of TiVo's whole purpose as a DVR. The only type of cloud DVR that will really take off is from a cable, fiber or IPTV provider, where they have the bandwidth to do it on a private network.
But I wonder what the endgame for Tivo is when most people get TV on demand streaming via the internet, and there is no longer a need for a DVR? I still use my TiVo for Amazon downloads and had used it to play DVDs until the player started being too temperamental and noisy to use. Other than those limited use cases there isn't much an S2 is good for without a content source.

I know the newer models allow for streaming from some services, but besides the fact that I've read the streaming aspect is typically sub-optimal on TiVo, the current subscription model doesn't really make sense compared to something like Roku.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #33
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
But I wonder what the endgame for Tivo is when most people get TV on demand streaming via the internet, and there is no longer a need for a DVR? I still use my TiVo for Amazon downloads and had used it to play DVDs until the player started being too temperamental and noisy to use. Other than those limited use cases there isn't much an S2 is good for without a content source.

I know the newer models allow for streaming from some services, but besides the fact that I've read the streaming aspect is typically sub-optimal on TiVo, the current subscription model doesn't really make sense compared to something like Roku.
That's going to be a LONG time from now. TiVo's biggest threat it being cut out of the system, which they are only in because of federal law surrounding CableCard...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote