TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Gaidin43

Anyway to record amazon or Netflix video streams?

My HTPC has been running great, but due to limits in data and having unlimited usage from 12-6am I am looking for the best way to record video streams from Netflix and amazon to watch later. Can I record anything off the tivo? Or do I need to use my HTPC?

I have tried to use any video recorder but this only seems to work for about 5min before it fails and creates a file that isn't watchable.

Are there any programs that grab the stream? Or are screen captures the best way to so this?

No I will not be reselling this or using it in any manner other then watching it personally then deleting due to storage limits.
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Aero 1

http://www.playlater.tv/

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaidin43 View Post
My HTPC has been running great, but due to limits in data and having unlimited usage from 12-6am I am looking for the best way to record video streams from Netflix and amazon to watch later. Can I record anything off the tivo? Or do I need to use my HTPC?

I have tried to use any video recorder but this only seems to work for about 5min before it fails and creates a file that isn't watchable.

Are there any programs that grab the stream? Or are screen captures the best way to so this?

No I will not be reselling this or using it in any manner other then watching it personally then deleting due to storage limits.
All outputs on the Premiere are active as you've likely noticed. I have for a long time, even when I was with DirecTV using their HD DVR had a DVD recorder connected to the video output (S-Video on the DirecTV DVR) and made my own DVD's. As with a DVR I can skip commercials on a DVD. I have for my own use; literally thousands of movies and series archived on DVD.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Not with Tivo. Netflix is a stream that never touches the hard drives, and Amazon is a downloaded content that goes directly to the hard drive just llike a recording, but protected from copying.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Rockett0

I also use playlater to do this.
Rockett0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
gweempose

So what exactly does playlater do? Does it capture the stream in real time and save it to the hard drive? I don't exactly understand how that would be legal, but it's a cool idea nonetheless. It would really come in handy if I could grab stuff off Netflix and Hulu to watch on a plane or at a hotel when I don't have access to a reliable high speed connection.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
So what exactly does playlater do? Does it capture the stream in real time and save it to the hard drive? I don't exactly understand how that would be legal, but it's a cool idea nonetheless. It would really come in handy if I could grab stuff off Netflix and Hulu to watch on a plane or at a hotel when I don't have access to a reliable high speed connection.
it works exactly like a DVR. it plays the stream in real time and then it records it, just like a tivo. nothing illegal about it, its not cracking any DRM, nor is it stealing content of their servers.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
it works exactly like a DVR. it plays the stream in real time and then it records it, just like a tivo. nothing illegal about it, its not cracking any DRM, nor is it stealing content of their servers.
Technically I suppose it is cracking DRM though since it's saving it to a format that can be played with a different non-DRM player that doesn't need internet access to play the recorded stream right? I don't know if the saved format has some kind of DRM of its own to prevent copying and sharing over bittorrent and the like? Note that I'm not making judgements here, just curious exactly how it actually works. I suppose it may be something akin to exploiting the "analog hole"?
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Nothing illegal about it, its not cracking any DRM, nor is it stealing content off their servers.
OK, so even if it's not technically illegal per se, isn't it still a violation of the Netflix terms of service? I can't imagine you are allowed to make unauthorized copies of their streams, even for personal use.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Gaidin43

So play later is just a screen capture program then for the HTPC?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
mattack

I think it captures the *stream* rather than screen capture. That is definitely more resource efficient. If it actually tried to record the screen, it would most likely be choppy.

I did a bunch of googling, but couldn't figure it out. Does anybody know of a way, ON A MAC, to download CSPAN videos? I want to download the Tim Cook IRS talk thing, so I can convert it to a podcast and listen to it at 2x.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #12
miralda

Hey people,
I'd like to know how I can save or record music from Netflix without paying for it? Do not quite know if this is legal, but I think if I do it with Netflix, it might not be as bad as the youtube or something, because that is much more popular ...? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
miralda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
sh_laura

Hey,

I can understand your problem , also did not want to have to checkout sometime in such streaming sites ... Therefore, since I'll use a software called Tunebite Premium with all the side of the Internet (Youtube, Netflix, Spotify ....) music and video record all you want. Only pay once for the software and then never again. No hidden costs, subscriptions or son stuff. And the coolest is that you can find on the homepage of Audials direct instructions on how you can record from which website.
sh_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by miralda View Post
Hey people,
I'd like to know how I can save or record music from Netflix without paying for it? Do not quite know if this is legal, but I think if I do it with Netflix, it might not be as bad as the youtube or something, because that is much more popular ...? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Of course that's not legal. That is copyright infringement since you're making a copy of it.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
sh_laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Of course that's not legal. That is copyright infringement since you're making a copy of it.
Of course not, it's legal. Easily learn how to record and download Netflix™ and other video streaming services by watching our Audials-in-120-seconds video. After recording you can directly watch the video on your PC or convert it in every format you desire. You can find everything at Audials.com also the forum.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
Gaidin43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh_laura View Post
Of course not, it's legal. Easily learn how to record and download Netflix™ and other video streaming services by watching our Audials-in-120-seconds video. After recording you can directly watch the video on your PC or convert it in every format you desire. You can find everything at Audials.com also the forum.
It's legal as long as you don't sell it or distribute it. There is no law saying it isn't illegal. But whoever is posting this seems like a spammer for that app.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
mattack

Quote:
It's legal as long as you don't sell it or distribute it. There is no law saying it isn't illegal. But whoever is posting this seems like a spammer for that app.
No, it isn't legal. You are MAKING A COPY of the stream. I admit I have even asked whether the streams from a PS3 are protected in another thread (NOT to make a permanent copy, which I realize *has no relevance* to its legality).

At the very least, you're breaking DMCA, if it is protected in that way.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
Gaidin43

There is no crime involved unless you try to make a profit off it. There is nothing illegal about making a copy to use when you want. You paid for the service and you are using it.

This whole illegal thing needs to end the only law in the US is if you pirate intellectual property for profit.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
moyekj

Quote:
There is no crime involved unless you try to make a profit off it. There is nothing illegal about making a copy to use when you want. You paid for the service and you are using it.

This whole illegal thing needs to end the only law in the US is if you pirate intellectual property for profit.
Under those terms if you make a copy of a show and then make it freely available to anyone via bittorrent (i.e. not making a profit) then you are not committing a crime?
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
No, it isn't legal. You are MAKING A COPY of the stream. I admit I have even asked whether the streams from a PS3 are protected in another thread (NOT to make a permanent copy, which I realize *has no relevance* to its legality).

At the very least, you're breaking DMCA, if it is protected in that way.
Actually I don't think playlater is making a copy they are retaining the data that was streamed to you instead of deleting it after viewing. In any event if playlater were a problem they would already be in court which they are not, so that should tell anyone all they need to know.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 06-07-2013 at 07:52 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #21
atmuscarella

Quote:

This is not exactly true. While the VHS tape lawsuits of the 80's established you are allowed to make a copy for your own use you are not allowed to distribute it to others regardless if you are making a profit or not.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 06-07-2013 at 08:30 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
Gaidin43

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
This is not exactly true. While the VHS tape lawsuits of the 80's established you are allowed to make a copy for your own use you are not allowed to distribute it to others regardless if you are making a profit or not.
Correct I forgot to clarify distribute and/or make a profit. For your sole use there is zero crime that you will ever be charged with in any state or any US territory.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #23
sh_laura

Do any Audials products violate the DMCA?

Short answer: DCMA are the guidelines for what you can and cannot copy legally, and how recording products are allowed to work, and we do not break any encryption, which is at the heart of the DMCA. Audials recording products locate unencrypted media, and record that media as it is transmitted, in order to allow you to view the content at a later time and/or on another device.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #24
jcthorne

Netflix and Amazon are both encrypted video streams. Therefore, Audials either does not work with them or they do exactly what they claim they do not. IE violate the DMCA.

I really should not feed the trolls.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
All outputs on the Premiere are active as you've likely noticed. I have for a long time, even when I was with DirecTV using their HD DVR had a DVD recorder connected to the video output (S-Video on the DirecTV DVR) and made my own DVD's. As with a DVR I can skip commercials on a DVD. I have for my own use; literally thousands of movies and series archived on DVD.
If you do this just be sure not to press any buttons on the remote. I use to capture stuff all the time and more then once I ruined a capture because I pressed play to see how much time was left forgetting that the playbar would end up in the recording.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote