TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
alyssa

Faulty Coaxe Connector on Premiere XL

truck roll from time warner- upshot they are delivering a strong signal to the non working tivo

tivo screens & the CS agent says they're not

we tried the offending tivo in another place in the house, on a known working tivo position, & the premiere sitll does not show a signal

tivo cs agent agrees that the problem is the tivo, says it's a co-axe connector on the tivo unit

thoughts? anything else to trouble shoot?

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
truck roll from time warner- upshot they are delivering a strong signal to the non working tivo

tivo screens & the CS agent says they're not

we tried the offending tivo in another place in the house, on a known working tivo position, & the premiere sitll does not show a signal

tivo cs agent agrees that the problem is the tivo, says it's a co-axe connector on the tivo unit

thoughts? anything else to trouble shoot?
Ever taken a Torx driver to it and had the lid off before?

Have you tried the antenna input at all?

Not with the cable, but with some rabbit ears or a straightened out paper clip or the cheap FM antenna that came with your stereo.

Is there any reason it might have gotten bumped and the actual threaded nipple thing on the back perhaps broken lose from where it's soldered inside?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Ever taken a Torx driver to it and had the lid off before?

Have you tried the antenna input at all?

Not with the cable, but with some rabbit ears or a straightened out paper clip or the cheap FM antenna that came with your stereo.

Is there any reason it might have gotten bumped and the actual threaded nipple thing on the back perhaps broken lose from where it's soldered inside?
there doesn't seem to be a separate antenna input. According to the documentation it doesn't accept an antenna signal.

afaik, it didn't get bumped.

I will take the cover off & take a look at it to see how easily it is to replace the co-axe female. unless it's soldered on, it should be straight forward. even if it is soldered i may try to replace the offending part.

i'm guessing folks haven't come across this issue much?

I contacted Weaknees & they said
Quote:
Unfortunately it your connector truly is broken, this is not fixable. I'm sorry.
on the upside, i can still stream from & to the box

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
fcfc2

Quote:
there doesn't seem to be a separate antenna input. According to the documentation it doesn't accept an antenna signal.

afaik, it didn't get bumped.

I will take the cover off & take a look at it to see how easily it is to replace the co-axe female. unless it's soldered on, it should be straight forward. even if it is soldered i may try to replace the offending part.

i'm guessing folks haven't come across this issue much?

I contacted Weaknees & they said

on the upside, i can still stream from & to the box
Hi,
If just the solder joint has broken loose, a tiny bit of flux and additional solder (rosin core) may be able to fix it. If the board itself has been cracked this becomes less likely. If the internal connection of the coax port itself has been damaged, it might be able to be replaced and re-soldered but you would have to find a suitable replacement. Plus you might go through this and still find the problem is actually something else, unless you can see visible evidence of damage.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
unitron

You said Premiere XL and I thought you meant a TCD748000, which is a 2 tuner unit.

But apparently you have a 4 tuner, cable only unit, a TCD750500, or a TCD758250.

If you had the 2 tuner XL I could open up the regular Premiere I recently acquired (since they're almost the same except for hard drive size) and be better able to know with what you might be dealing.

Long distance diagnosis is always infinitely more difficult than when you can actually put your hands and eyeballs on the thing that's got the problem.

Unlike the Series 2 and 3 TiVo models, the Premiere line (Series 4 platform) aren't especially known for power supply problems, but taking into consideration the lesson of the S2s and S3s, namely that power supply problems can produce all sorts of weird symptoms, it would be prudent to check the power supply before trying to open up a tuner module or taking the motherboard out to look at the underside to assess any possible physical damage to the co-ax input.

I don't know if you can open that thing up with just a #10 Torx bit the way you can with older models, although probably you can.

Do you have access to a voltmeter and any experience using one, or access to another person who has access to one and experience with same?

Old 02-03-2016, 03:12 AM   #6
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
You said Premiere XL and I thought you meant a TCD748000, which is a 2 tuner unit.

But apparently you have a 4 tuner, cable only unit, a TCD750500, or a TCD758250.

If you had the 2 tuner XL I could open up the regular Premiere I recently acquired (since they're almost the same except for hard drive size) and be better able to know with what you might be dealing.

Long distance diagnosis is always infinitely more difficult than when you can actually put your hands and eyeballs on the thing that's got the problem.

Unlike the Series 2 and 3 TiVo models, the Premiere line (Series 4 platform) aren't especially known for power supply problems, but taking into consideration the lesson of the S2s and S3s, namely that power supply problems can produce all sorts of weird symptoms, it would be prudent to check the power supply before trying to open up a tuner module or taking the motherboard out to look at the underside to assess any possible physical damage to the co-ax input.

I don't know if you can open that thing up with just a #10 Torx bit the way you can with older models, although probably you can.

Do you have access to a voltmeter and any experience using one, or access to another person who has access to one and experience with same?
Any place that services TVs can easily reconnect a broken coax connector in a very short time. Of course they would most likely charge a 1 hour minimum of $49 - $100 just to examine it and fix it if possible.

On the other hand, did the TiVo tech offer to exchange the unit for $79? If they didn't, call them back and ask. Shipping both ways is included in that price, as well as transfer of Lifetime Service.

SomeRandomIdiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
alyssa

Quote:

thank you for your analysis- i've been busy & had to step away from this project. I'll open the case tomorrow morning & report back. I can use a volt meter. i use to deal with big power so my meter isn't the best for electronics but i also don't have a problem buying a sm meter. I'll post pic's of any anomalies i notice.

Quote:
Any place that services TVs can easily reconnect a broken coax connector in a very short time. Of course they would most likely charge a 1 hour minimum of $49 - $100 just to examine it and fix it if possible.

On the other hand, did the TiVo tech offer to exchange the unit for $79? If they didn't, call them back and ask. Shipping both ways is included in that price, as well as transfer of Lifetime Service.
there isn't a tv repair person anywhere close to me... i live hr's away from anything but your point is well taken.

tivo offered to exchange it & keeping the LT for $350- about what i could sell it for on ebay. i'd have to find the old drive too, since it's got an upgrade drive in it.

at this point i'm thinking if i can't fix it, i'll keep it as a streaming device for the basement TV. Plus it's fun to get into the guts of it.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #8
SomeRandomIdiot

Quote:
thank you for your analysis- i've been busy & had to step away from this project. I'll open the case tomorrow morning & report back. I can use a volt meter. i use to deal with big power so my meter isn't the best for electronics but i also don't have a problem buying a sm meter. I'll post pic's of any anomalies i notice.

there isn't a tv repair person anywhere close to me... i live hr's away from anything but your point is well taken.

tivo offered to exchange it & keeping the LT for $350- about what i could sell it for on ebay. i'd have to find the old drive too, since it's got an upgrade drive in it.

at this point i'm thinking if i can't fix it, i'll keep it as a streaming device for the basement TV. Plus it's fun to get into the guts of it.
$350?

I've had 2 exchanged for $79 in last 14 days....then again, that was the XL4, but that shouldn't be LESS expensive.

SomeRandomIdiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomIdiot View Post
$350?

I've had 2 exchanged for $79 in last 14 days....then again, that was the XL4, but that shouldn't be LESS expensive.
i will play CS rep roulette & see what i get this spin thx for the info!
this was put on my acct 2 or 3 years ago-

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
alyssa

No visible signed of damage

But it does seem to be attached to the mobo.
Here's a thought how about replacing the mobo? That seems simple enough.
Will I loose the lifetime attached to the box?

Old 02-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
shwru980r

Quote:

No visible signed of damage

But it does seem to be attached to the mobo.
Here's a thought how about replacing the mobo? That seems simple enough.
Will I loose the lifetime attached to the box?

The lifetime service is tied to the motherboard.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #12
unitron

Actually the lifetime service is attached, in TiVo, Inc.'s database, to the TiVo's unique TiVo Service Number, and that's on a chip on the motherboard that would require at least a hot air rework station to "transplant".

The TiVo only knows that it has lifetime because when it contacts the TiVo servers it gives them its TSN and the servers check the status for the account connected to that TSN and tell the TiVo that it has lifetime.