TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
bobrt6676

C-Span takes over

My Elite will change to C-Span on it's own. I can be watching a live or recorded show and C-Span will appear for about 2 minutes and then live TV will resume. While C-Span is showing all controls are locked. Channel cannot be changed. Even the Tivo button will not work. Over the last few weeks this has increased in frequency. VERY ANNOYING!! Anyone run into this? Any solutions?
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You have fallen victim to the EAS tests from your cable company.

Any time the Tivo receives the EAS signal, it automatically changes the tuner(s?) to the channel that carries the EAS message, so if you're watching live (or recorded), you get taken hostage so you will see the message.

Search the forum for 'EAS test'. You should find several threads on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Yep, see my post, #3, in this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=499664
I'm in the same TWC region as you. There is another forum member in our region with the same problem (can't remember his handle right now).

This behavior got a lot worse when I swapped out two s-cards for one m-card in my TiVo HD. IIRC, the EAS worked more like it should with the two cards.

I haven't complained to TWC because they are so clueless about Tivo that I'm afraid if they do start trying to fix it they will create some other (worse) problem, not to mention inconveniencing me in the process.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
sharkster

Ugh, I hate EAS. Mine also goes to C-SPAN during the EAS announcement, but then it goes back where it was. If I am watching a recording it goes back to live TV so I have to get back into my recording, however.

The only time it creates an interruption in a recording is when it happens during the time that the program is being recorded so the good thing is that if it just happens while you are watching you can get back to where you left off.

I wish there was a solution but, alas, I don't think there is a way to opt out of this. It's so stupid here sometimes that we get an EAS warning that it might rain. Gee, really? Better stop freaking everything for that.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Ugh, I hate EAS. Mine also goes to C-SPAN during the EAS announcement, but then it goes back where it was. If I am watching a recording it goes back to live TV so I have to get back into my recording, however.

The only time it creates an interruption in a recording is when it happens during the time that the program is being recorded so the good thing is that if it just happens while you are watching you can get back to where you left off.
Ditto on all that, although once in a while instead of C-SPAN we get just a blank screen, or actually get the EAS message in a very poor font on a black background In most cases we not only suffer the interruption but also don't even get whatever benefit the EAS message might offer.

Interesting that almost identical behavior occurs for widely separated TWC regions.

and
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Ditto on all that, although once in a while instead of C-SPAN we get just a blank screen, or actually get the EAS message in a very poor font on a black background In most cases we not only suffer the interruption but also don't even get whatever benefit the EAS message might offer.

Interesting that almost identical behavior occurs for widely separated TWC regions.
My confusion was the channel switches to C-Span but I never see an EBS message. Just whatever is showing on C-Span at the time, nothing else. That is why I never related this to an EBS break-in. Weird. I see no way to get TWC to do anything about this. Maybe if we complain about NOT getting the EBS message!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
zygo69

I have been having the same problem here, I am in Cincinnati. I called and complained and they put my info the main ticket. If you do call about it, do not call the regular Time Warner customer help line. This will get you no where, all they will do is try to replace your equipment.

You need to call cable card/tuning adapter support directly. I have been doing that for 2 years now. They are a high tier support, the same one the Cable Techs call. I have been able to solve a lot of my problems my self by calling them direct.

You will not find their number very easily so here it is, 1-866-532-2598. Dont be afraid to call, they have always been very freindly and help full.
zygo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygo69 View Post
I have been having the same problem here, I am in Cincinnati. I called and complained and they put my info the main ticket. If you do call about it, do not call the regular Time Warner customer help line. This will get you no where, all they will do is try to replace your equipment.

You need to call cable card/tuning adapter support directly. I have been doing that for 2 years now. They are a high tier support, the same one the Cable Techs call. I have been able to solve a lot of my problems my self by calling them direct.

You will not find their number very easily so here it is, 1-866-532-2598. Dont be afraid to call, they have always been very freindly and help full.
So was the TWC national cable card help desk (the number you posted) able to do anything about this? You're right, that number is hard to find, although it has been posted many times on this forum and has existed for years. Most people report good responses from them. I've had some good and some not so good.

You are the 4th person I know of from TWC SW Ohio that has posted this problem. I wish there were some way we could all complain (to someone who cared) on the same day. Maybe complaining that we don't get the EAS messages is the hook that would work, as bobrt6676 suggested. In principle this should get the FCC all excited since it defeats the purpose of the EAS system. Practically, I don't think anyone will give the issue much attention. What really bothers me is that sometimes I lose my SDV channels after an EAS and have to reboot both TA and TiVo.

TWC SW Ohio has not pushed the latest software to either their CableCARD's or TA's. That could be the problem but I shudder to think what might happen if they tried to update the software. The last time they updated TA software, all the TA's in their system were disabled completely for a day! I don't believe they've ever even tried to update CableCARD software. I had two S-Cards that I turned in last year and they had 2006 software dates!

and