TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
rassi

TiVo HD won't boot past the "Starting Up" screen

Have an older TiVo HD in a 2nd TV room that we don't use as often as our main unit. Went in there today to watch TV and the unit was stuck rebooting - it was only showing the "Just starting up" screen (the one before the first TiVo logo). I suspect the HD may have died. Would that be the most common cause for this?

Model number on the back of the unit is TCD652160.

What are my options???

rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassi View Post
Have an older TiVo HD in a 2nd TV room that we don't use as often as our main unit. Went in there today to watch TV and the unit was stuck rebooting - it was only showing the "Just starting up" screen (the one before the first TiVo logo). I suspect the HD may have died. Would that be the most common cause for this?

Model number on the back of the unit is TCD652160.

What are my options???

The most common cause for not moving on from the first screen, which is on a chip on the motherboard, to the "just a few more minutes" screen, which is on the hard drive, is a failure in communication between the motherboard and the hard drive.

This can be due to several different things, ranging in severity from the data and/or power cable to the hard drive not being fully and properly connected to failure of something on the motherboard.

The most likely cause is either hard drive failure (especially if it's still the original drive after all these years) or, in a Series 2 or 3 TiVo especially, a failing power supply, or maybe both.

If your 652 still has the original drive and the original, never had anything on it replaced, power supply, you're overdue for problems with both.

Have you ever replaced a hard drive on a PC, or assembled a PC?

Do you have a PC you can take the cover off of and connect a hard drive or two to the motherboard temporarily, or do you have one or more SATA to USB adapaters?

Do you have access to a voltmeter and any experience using one?

Any soldering experience?

(If you have to open the TiVo up to do anything with the hard drive, you might as well, while you've got the lid off, spend $10 to $15 bucks on replacing the usual suspects, capacitor wise, on the power supply circuit board and save having to do it in month or 3)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
rassi

I have worked with PCs quite a bit. It's been many years since we bought that Tivo, but I believe we upgraded the HD when we got it. But it would be close to the same age as the TiVo itself.

I do not have access to a voltmeter and have never learned how to solder...

I do have SATA to USB adapter as well as a PC where I could connect a HD directly.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
shwru980r

Quote:
I have worked with PCs quite a bit. It's been many years since we bought that Tivo, but I believe we upgraded the HD when we got it. But it would be close to the same age as the TiVo itself.

I do not have access to a voltmeter and have never learned how to solder...

I do have SATA to USB adapter as well as a PC where I could connect a HD directly.
If you still have the original hard drive, you could put it back in the Tivo to see if the tivo will boot up.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
rassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
If you still have the original hard drive, you could put it back in the Tivo to see if the tivo will boot up.
Sadly it's been many years and at least one move since then. Don't have any idea where the original HD is at.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
shwru980r

Quote:
Sadly it's been many years and at least one move since then. Don't have any idea where the original HD is at.
You could look for the same model used tivo on line and swap the drives. You could also try swapping the power supply, if the drive swap doesn't work.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
rassi

Sorry for the delay - I have finally gotten around to opening our TiVo up.

None of the capacators appear to be expanding - they all have flat, normal looking tops.

Removed the HD and connected it to my PC. Windows wanted to initialize it, which I didn't let it do because I think I remember it's a different file system and that would mess things up.

What's my next step to see if the HD is still any good???