TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

Recording issues with Comcast and MCard

At first I thought I was loosing it. I would set up a recording and then check later on and the recording was not there, then I said did I record or forget to do it. This has gone on for a while now. Well today I set up a recording on FX doing it online and I decide to check it later and was it not there, so I said to myself, it was probably conflicting with another program, so it did not take the recording, which I was correct. So later on I decided to delete a recording from the To Do List, and set up my recording on FX again, so now I know I had it set up, I actually set up 2 recordings on FX. So now I know I did do it, I checked and know I had recorded the 8 PM show, so at 10:10 PM I decided to check and it was not recorded I said WTF, I saw both lights red and recording. Umm OK I will record it at midnight, but now I know the 10 PM show on the same channel is recording, I see it recording in the to do list, so I go watch one of my other shows that was already recorded. Now I am done watching that show, I go to the show I know I just recorded on FX as I saw it recording, and it is not there. Now I am saying am I loosing it, so I said I bet I know what happened and I was correct. what happens is sometimes certain channels simply stop working, I don't know why, but they do and I don't know unless I actually go and check the channel, so when I decide to check FX it was black, so it stopped working. I usually have to go to the back of the Tivo, pull the M Card and then re insert it and 15 seconds later those channel come right back it. So now we know why some of my shows were not recording all this time. my question is, why does it do that and why not on all channels, and has this happened to anyone one else before ?, could it be a Comcast signal issue, so if the digital signal is not strong the those tiers those channels go out ?? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, is there a way of checking the signal on certain channels ? Thanks for listing to the long post.
DonB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can go to Recording History at the top of the Todo List and it will tell you what happened to the recordings.

You can also check the cable card menu status and see what is with the cable card, perhaps it was not properly paired or something else. You may need to call to get it paired again. One thing to look is "Val: Y"

You might even need a tuning adapter.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

OK, couple of questions then, if it was a pairing issues why would the channels work and then stop and then if I pull the card out and put it back in they come right back on. I also went in to the settings and channels and looked at the signal on certain channels and noticed that some channels had stronger signal that others, it was not the case with the channel that did not record which was FX, but some were in the 50's and and others in the 80's

I will also check the to do history for history as soon as the wife gets up

What is the Val Y I am looking for, what is that ?? also what is a tuning adapter and what does that do ?? thanks for your time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You can go to Recording History at the top of the Todo List and it will tell you what happened to the recordings.

You can also check the cable card menu status and see what is with the cable card, perhaps it was not properly paired or something else. You may need to call to get it paired again. One thing to look is "Val: Y"

You might even need a tuning adapter.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Val: Y would mean the cable card is properly paired.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

DonB., I am also in S(W) Florida with Comcast. My Tivo Premiere arrives next week. I may have some dummy questions for you if you do not mind........
tmozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

Go ahead, I am all ears, and if I can help let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
DonB., I am also in S(W) Florida with Comcast. My Tivo Premiere arrives next week. I may have some dummy questions for you if you do not mind........

Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

Also here is what I did to see if it resolves my issue for now, since we recently switched over to digital, I had a 5 way splitter in the bedroom with the Tivo connected to it, and since that is not needed anymore as you need a DTA box with each line now. I changes all the coax cable and cut the splitter down to 2, one for my HD cable box and the other line for the HD Tivo box. Might have been some lost of signal with all the lines back there. So we will see if this helps, if not then, I will check the next step checking the pairing issue, and if not that, I will see if a digital adapter or booster will help, I will keep you all posted.

I choose to go that rout because I remembered having an issue with my Comcast DVR in the living room with too many lines with splitter and getting lose of signal and has since resolved my issue, it was the same issue, would only loose signal on certain tier channels.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
TexasAg96

DonB, I had the same problem happen to me with my Premiere 4 with Comcast and MCard. Last month, I was traveling on a two week trip overseas and early in the trip I used the Away Access feature in the iPad app to check on the status of my recordings. A few days later I checked again through the app and noticed no new shows were included in My Shows since I last checked. I thought this was odd since I knew I had shows on my To Do List each day. I kept checking every few days and even noted shows being recorded but nothing was being retained in My Shows. When I finally got home, I discovered the same thing you did that the channel signals were not coming in anymore. I was able to fix it by restarting the TiVo and did not have the problem again until now.

Once again I am out of town and yesterday used the iPad to delete a show. Since then, no new shows are appearing in My Shows. I won't be home for three more days to verify that is the problem but it appears to be the same as before. I don't know of a way of fixing the problem remotely. Based on my situation, the problem seems to stem from accessing the TiVo remotely. In your original post you mentioned requesting a recording online so I thought it might have contributed to your situation as well. I can't say definitively this is the cause but it seems like more than a coincidence.
TexasAg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

I don't believe that is the issue, I believe it is a signal issues or a card issue, as I had also set the same recording manually and it did not record because the channel was not coming in at the time. The issue is if you are not physically watching that channel you do not know the signal is not coming it, I will report back and see if it happens again since I change the splitter. Also in my case, I did not restart the Tivo, I simply took the MCard out and re inserted it and the channel came back in. I also think the issue is on the higher tiered channels as the signal on those channel might not be as strong. We will see in due time I guess, what amazes me with all the Tivo users that this has not happened to anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg96 View Post
DonB, I had the same problem happen to me with my Premiere 4 with Comcast and MCard. Last month, I was traveling on a two week trip overseas and early in the trip I used the Away Access feature in the iPad app to check on the status of my recordings. A few days later I checked again through the app and noticed no new shows were included in My Shows since I last checked. I thought this was odd since I knew I had shows on my To Do List each day. I kept checking every few days and even noted shows being recorded but nothing was being retained in My Shows. When I finally got home, I discovered the same thing you did that the channel signals were not coming in anymore. I was able to fix it by restarting the TiVo and did not have the problem again until now.

Once again I am out of town and yesterday used the iPad to delete a show. Since then, no new shows are appearing in My Shows. I won't be home for three more days to verify that is the problem but it appears to be the same as before. I don't know of a way of fixing the problem remotely. Based on my situation, the problem seems to stem from accessing the TiVo remotely. In your original post you mentioned requesting a recording online so I thought it might have contributed to your situation as well. I can't say definitively this is the cause but it seems like more than a coincidence.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
alanmcdonley

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB. View Post
I don't believe that is the issue, I believe it is a signal issues or a card issue, ... what amazes me with all the Tivo users that this has not happened to anyone else.
You are not alone; it has been happening to me off and on for the last three years with my TivoHD on Comcast Digital and Dual-Mcard. Every Tivo Survey, I include a comment that Tivo needs to be smart enough to recapture the cable signal.
alanmcdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

Reviving this thread again. It is happening again, every now and then I will loose channel tiers, saying that I am not subscribe to them and the screen goes black, the only way to get those tier channels back, I actually have to pull the MCard out for a few seconds, then re insert it and then they come back, sometimes I have to do this twice for it to take. Any other suggestion from anyone, this drive me nuts as I have some shows that don't get recorded because it is blacked out. Any advice I am listening.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

Well just about had it with loosing channels tiers, I have the cable split in the room with a Comcast splitter, so I thought that might be the cause, so I bypassed the splitter, and the problems still occurs. So I was going to go into the Comcast office and have them swap out the MCard, as a service rep when I called said that would be best. So I got to thinking I don't think if I go to Comcast they will give me a MCard replacement, I believe a service truck has to do this as they have to pair the card. So on my way to their office I decided to contact a Service supervisor that I knew and she stopped me in my tracks and said don't waste your time going there, they will not swap the card out, it has to be done by a service tech at the house. Thank god I was not far, anyways to make a long story short, the service truck will be here on Wednesday and hopefully we will get to the bottom of this constant issue for the past few years on and off.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
jrtroo
User

No, you have a right to pick up a card and avoid the fee. They must provide for this, in the same way you can pick up a box at their local office. Your Service supervisor is wrong.

See bullet #4.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

Thanks for the info appreciate, but I will still have them come on Wednesday as I want them to also check the line going into the bedroom to make sure the booster in the attic is not causing the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
No, you have a right to pick up a card and avoid the fee. They must provide for this, in the same way you can pick up a box at their local office. Your Service supervisor is wrong.

See bullet #4.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Solitaire

The same thing is happening with my system. Comcast tech was here and said all the signals and cables are fine. Comcast blames the problem on Tivo's software. Tivo tells me that the problem is Comcast. In the meantime, I cannot record anything. I get a signal not available error. It seems you are having the same problem. I was just wondering if you received a solution yet. Thanks.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

Well let me give you my update so far

Got Comcast to come and they did replace the main line from the POD to the House, that seemed to work while the Tech was here, but once he left a few hours later I noticed some tiers still not working again

Then Saturday I went to my local Comcast office and have them give me a new MCard, I then took it home and had it paired with Tivo and a Comcast tech rep on the phone. Had to wait a few hours and then all seemed fine, then later that nice still saw a few channels not coming in

Then I proceeded to call the lead supervisor who left me his number after a call telling me if the 2 options I had done did not work, that he had a solution and to call him back, So I called him back and he sent a patch to my card, and so far no issues, I will report back if anything changes.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
Solitaire

DonB. Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know what type of patch so I can pass the information on to my Comcast tech. I did the same thing you did so far. I replaced the card and Comcast came out and checked all of the lines and replaced any old equipment. That did not work. I still have lost channels.
My local Comcast (in Florida) said there was nothing more they could do, to contact Tivo. Any information would be appreciated. If there is a working patch, I would so grateful to receive it. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
DonB.
Love My TIVO !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
DonB. Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know what type of patch so I can pass the information on to my Comcast tech. I did the same thing you did so far. I replaced the card and Comcast came out and checked all of the lines and replaced any old equipment. That did not work. I still have lost channels.
My local Comcast (in Florida) said there was nothing more they could do, to contact Tivo. Any information would be appreciated. If there is a working patch, I would so grateful to receive it. Thanks.
Don't know what the patch was, all I know he he said he was aware of the issue as there were a few other customers with the same issue, and he had sent the patch to their system a few days prior and all seemed to work, so he did the same for me, now I have not had an issue so far, but I also have not checked every channel, all I can do is give you the supervisor's name and location and you might have you tech contact him, but I can't give his number out, his name is Deon and is the dispatch supervisor for the Delray Beach, FL location, hope that helps
Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
Solitaire

DonB. Thank you so much. Every bit of information helps. At least I can tell my Comcast tech that someone else had this issue and there is a known patch. Maybe they can contact Comcast in Delray Beach and get my system working again. You don't know how valuable Tivo is until you have to do without it for a few days. I really appreciate your updates and responses. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
mattack

Again, ARE YOU GUYS CALLING THE CABLE CARD #? It's different from the regular #... not the # shown when the cablecard tells you to call either!!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
Solitaire

I originally called Comcast tech support. They gave me a # that is suppose to be for cablecard support only. I called that, used Comcast chat, had a technician to my house. None of them have been able to solve the problem. If you have more information or a different #, I will try that also. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #22
drcos
HD where available

This is happening to me also on the Sarasota head-end of Comcast. Got lost recordings due to 'No signal' on a channel I was watching before I went to bed!
I used to have these problems with an S3 and two cards, haven't had this with the Premiere XL and single M-Card until just recently.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #23
mattack

I posted the # in the main Comcast cablecard thread
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #24
Mike Oxbig

The Cable card pairing number is
1-877-405-2298

I guess it was easier to refer you to another thread to find the number.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
Solitaire

Update

I still have not been able to get this issue resolved. I am also in the Sarasota, FL area (zip 34232). Tivo says it is a Comcast issue (SNR signal is too high at 37 dB). Comcast says it is a Tivo software issue and refuse to change the signals. I have talked to Tivo tech 3 times, had a 3-way conference call between me, Tivo, and Comcast, talked to 2 Comcast supervisors, and had 3 Comcast tech visits. The last Comcast tech said this was a nationwide problem that began with Tivo's software upgrade dated approx. May 24. Comcast said they sent the problem to their engineering dept. on July 3rd to try and find a fix. At this point, I don't know who to believe or if this will ever be resolved. They are suppose to contact their Tivo customers, if they find a solution. I will wait a little while to see if there is a fix. If not, my options seem to be discontinue Tivo or switch to Verizon. However, Comcast claims Verizon has the same issue. I don't know anyone in my area with Tivo, so I cannot verify this. If anyone has any feedback about Verizon and Tivo, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #26
tomhorsley

As near as I can tell, my new problems started with the 20.3 update. Before that, I would get occasional "channel not authorized" or "problem with signal" messages. The oft reported rumor was that this had been tracked down to a problem with the firmware in old scientific atlanta cable cards (which is what I have).

After the 20.3 update, the TiVo software seems to have been deliberately designed to beat the poor cable card to death, triggering this (possible) firmware bug infinitely more frequently.

Comcast says I can't get a firmware upgrade till they roll out their system wide infrastructure improvements in Florida (which might happen sometime around October/November, maybe, possibly, perhaps, if they aren't postponed again and the latest rumor is correct).

It is clear from the difference following the 20.3 update that the TiVo software could be much more gentle with the cable card. I can only hope this rumored patch will get it back to being no worse than it was before 20.3 and will happen much sooner than October/November.

If they want volunteers to go back to the old TiVo software, I'd be the first in line to sign up for that :-).

Last edited by tomhorsley : 07-06-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: fix typo
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote