TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #181
sieglinde

If this thing lasts longer than two episodes they better make it possible for gases to pass through the dome. CO2 is heavier than oxygen so people would start passing out in the streets with the girl in the fallout shelter suffocating first
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #182
nickels
opinionated dope

They are trapped with trees so they should be fine with oxygen/carbon dioxide. Google says 20 trees needed per person. I'm guessing they have plenty.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #183
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
They are trapped with trees so they should be fine with oxygen/carbon dioxide. Google says 20 trees needed per person. I'm guessing they have plenty.
They just need to count up the trees and people and make sure they don't have too many people. Just kill a few people until you get the numbers right.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #184
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
They just need to count up the trees and people and make sure they don't have too many people. Just kill a few people until you get the numbers right.
Won't the people die on their own till the number is right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #185
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Didn't notice this -- every license plate I saw looked like a Pennsylvania plate.

Except for the law enforcement vehicles and the truck that smashed into the dome, I only saw license plates that looked like bad replicas of the Vermont plate - the white frame around the numbers was thicker.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #186
SoBelle0
What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post

How could it have been a sphere - rather than slicing the cow, trees and buildings as it passed thru, wouldn't it have just crushed everything? Unless you are saying it just appeared in mid-air and then shot up and downward thereby slicing all in its path? My assumption was that it fell from somewhere.
Got to see it last night, and I enjoyed it! I haven't read the book, so I guess that's good?

Didn't the one couple overhear, on the radio or scanner or something, someone talking about "dropping it over Chester's Mill?"
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #187
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Won't the people die on their own till the number is right?
That's no fun!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #188
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The town, or most residents, could rely on well water. No running water necessary.
Even well water has to come from somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I'm just glad that the producers felt compelled to make this show GLBT friendly and made a point out of a lesbian couple with their sick daughter. OUR daughter was annunciated to the point of okay, we get it.

I'm growing tired of the gay promotion that hollywood keeps shoving down everyones throat.
So, if you and your spouse pull up to a hospital with your daughter in the car, would you yell out "MY daughter is sick", or "OUR daughter is sick"? If you're talking to your spouse in the car about your daughter would you say "MY daughter" or "OUR daughter"? Right, I thought so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Then start another thread and talk to your heart's delight. Seriously. I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, I simply want to watch this series without worrying about spoilers, or what the book did or didn't do. I'm watching a TV show.
Yes, please! I've read all the GoT books and I greatly enjoy having a separate book thread and show thread: it works really well. I haven't read this book and would prefer to avoid constant spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
My firs thought was this is not a dome but a sphere. The only way I can think of getting a force-field like this up in a split second is to have it emanate from some point in the middle and go outward. It's got to be a sphere.
Based on the way it "slammed down" into the ground when it appeared, I'm pretty sure it didn't start at the middle and push out. Plus, wouldn't everything have been pushed out in front of it? Or are you saying it was permeable until it reached the limits?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #189
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The ratings would have been good for a regular season show. There were 13 million viewers with a 3.2 dem rating. This proves that you can get good ratings for a summer show if you put something on that people want to watch.
I'm not a Nielsen family, but I tivoed it (and downloaded the tivo recording), but watched it over the weekend on Amazon.. I wonder how much the ratings were hurt due to it being on Amazon?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #190
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Interesting letter from King, thanks for posting. But a warning to those who haven't read the book...there be lots o spoilers there.
argh yes.. yikes, should have not started reading that..

(I do have the book.. IIRC, it was the book that was a dirt cheap $9.99 or so from walmart.com when it came out..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #191
David Ortiz
Yankee Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
San Francisco is in San Francisco County ...
SF is officially the City and County of San Francisco.
David Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #192
Worf

Quote:
Actually, trees respire. They generate oxygen during the day while doing photosynthesis. But at night, they take in oxygen and produce carbon dioxide as they respire and consume sugars. Luckily, it's slightly more than break even, hence why 20 trees keep one person alive. (They produce a lot of oxygen, but when they respire, they take a lot of it back).

Phytoplankton (who live on the oceans) actually produce around half of the world's oxygen.

Anyhow, the bigger deal is typically carbon dioxide - there's actually a wide range of human survivability for oxygen, but human tolerance for CO2 is actually quite low - 2% is considered maximum tolerable for closed systems with conditioning. 3% has been demonstrated for a month, and 4% for a week. There will still be plenty of oxygen in the air when the town suffocates...
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #193
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
If this thing lasts longer than two episodes they better make it possible for gases to pass through the dome. CO2 is heavier than oxygen so people would start passing out in the streets with the girl in the fallout shelter suffocating first
Looks like they have. Moisture has gotten through when those on the outside hosed water on it.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #194
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Well, they addressed digging in the second episode. Those with shovels said it goes pretty deep. When someone with a bulldozer approached he was stopped by Jim who warned him about the exploding pacemaker and not to let machinery get too close. But just because it exploded a pacemaker doesn't mean it would have the same effect on an internal cumbustion engine.

And as far as people having well water, what about gas pipes? Don't tell me everyone has an electric stove.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #195
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Well, they addressed digging in the second episode. Those with shovels said it goes pretty deep. When someone with a bulldozer approached he was stopped by Jim who warned him about the exploding pacemaker and not to let machinery get too close. But just because it exploded a pacemaker doesn't mean it would have the same effect on an internal cumbustion engine.

And as far as people having well water, what about gas pipes? Don't tell me everyone has an electric stove.
Uh, the thread is about episode 1 only.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #196
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post

Propane... there is something of an ongoing story about liquid propane deliveries, if you hadn't noticed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #197
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by jr461

How could it have been a sphere - rather than slicing the cow, trees and buildings as it passed thru, wouldn't it have just crushed everything? Unless you are saying it just appeared in mid-air and then shot up and downward thereby slicing all in its path? My assumption was that it fell from somewhere.

Quote:
Got to see it last night, and I enjoyed it! I haven't read the book, so I guess that's good?

Didn't the one couple overhear, on the radio or scanner or something, someone talking about "dropping it over Chester's Mill?"

Actually, in regards to how the Dome appeared, picture in your head the dome "appearing" in place, simultaneously in every place/point where it now exists.... NOT that it comes down and covers something.

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #198
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Actually, in regards to how the Dome appeared, picture in your head the dome "appearing" in place, simultaneously in every place/point where it now exists.... NOT that it comes down and covers something.
Why should we do that?

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #199
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
It didn't "appear in place" it came down, cut through everything in it's path, cleanly.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #200
danterner
Not it!

It wasn't clear to me whether it "came down" or "sprang up" or "appeared instantly." I don't think that anything they showed, including the cow, makes one any more likely than the others.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #201
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
It wasn't clear to me whether it "came down" or "sprang up" or "appeared instantly." I don't think that anything they showed, including the cow, makes one any more likely than the others.
to me, it looked like it "came down" because it seemed to impact the ground from above, as opposed to pushing up through the ground from below.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #202
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
to me, it looked like it "came down" because it seemed to impact the ground from above, as opposed to pushing up through the ground from below.
I checked it out in slow motion and one frame at a time. It clearly comes from above. It's first visible (as visible as an invisible barrier can be) above the cow and then it hits the ground throwing dust in the air.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #203
nickels
opinionated dope

It comes down, which explains the air shift as well. If it just appeared there wouldn't have been all that wind.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #204
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The town, or most residents, could rely on well water. No running water necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
If water and water vapor can't enter the sphere then it also can't leave so I don't think they'll run out of water.
Until they need to pump it. All that propane is awfully convenient.

Quote:
Don't cut any down to heat the homes in the winter.

Quote:
It comes down, which explains the air shift as well. If it just appeared there wouldn't have been all that wind.
Maybe. I could picture higher altitude winds, suddenly blocked by the dome, coming down inside the wall until settled. Did we see wind on outside as well as the inside?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #205
midas
I heard that

I don't get all this talk about it being a sphere. The show is called "Under the Dome". Wouldn't that be your first clue that it's a dome?
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #206
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
I don't get all this talk about it being a sphere. The show is called "Under the Dome". Wouldn't that be your first clue that it's a dome?
Well, the Dome is just the half of the sphere that they can see. In a couple of weeks, they'll change the name of the show to "Inside the Sphere."
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #207
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, the Dome is just the half of the sphere that they can see. In a couple of weeks, they'll change the name of the show to "Inside the Sphere."
LOL (literally).
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #208
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I thought Stephan Kings stories all took place in Maine?
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #209
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
I thought Stephan Kings stories all took place in Maine?
Many, but not all.

That said, this isn't really a Stephen King story -- it's a TV series adaptation (primarily by Brian K. Vaughan) of a Stephen King story.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #210
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I heard Bill Maher will be coming on as show runner, and it will be retitled "Inside the Bubble".

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote