Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #151
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
No, I don't think that she is a prostitute either. I guess I sided with Junior more than I realized and felt like she got over him too quickly.

Not saying I would kidnap her and lock her up in a fallout shelter though.
And just to clarify, the girlfriend of Junior and the sister in the Home Alone kids pair are the same person.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #152
sieglinde

I won't be reading the book as I don't really care for King but I am enjoying the show.

That was a really dumb remark about Hollywood shoving homosexuality down people's throats by the way
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #153
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
I was a little confused by the physical and clothing similarity between his candy striper/whore GF and the underaged sister of the boy that was left Home Alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
That wasn't the same girl? I need to pay better attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
And just to clarify, the girlfriend of Junior and the sister in the Home Alone kids pair are the same person.

Thanks, I've been meaning to go back and check that
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #154
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
That was a really dumb remark about Hollywood shoving homosexuality down people's throats by the way
I'm guessing that donnoh will be participating in the Family Research Council's "On Our Knees for America", too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #155
LlamaLarry

I actually meant to rewatch it too. I was certain it was the same girl, but the other 4 people in the family watching with me assured me that I was crazy. Now I will do it just to prove that I was not crazy (this time).
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #156
speedcouch
Geekneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Dale Barbara (Barbie) is supposed to be the moral compass of the story.

Personally, I was disappointed in the changes to his character.
I agree! Why CBS made that major change just to add "mystery" is absurd! Are they afraid they won't attrack their usual "procedural" viewers?
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR34-700
HR21-100
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #157
DaveMN

Letter from Stephen King
DaveMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #158
hummingbird_206

Interesting letter from King, thanks for posting. But a warning to those who haven't read the book...there be lots o spoilers there.

One thing that makes me happy,
Spoiler:
they are changing the source of the Dome. Yippee!

hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #159
danterner
Not it!

He makes a good point. For him to write something like that, I imagine he must have been getting a LOT of flak from reader-viewers. People should give the show a chance; it's only had one episode so far (and a pretty good one, IMHO).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #160
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
He makes a good point. For him to write something like that, I imagine he must have been getting a LOT of flak from reader-viewers. People should give the show a chance; it's only had one episode so far (and a pretty good one, IMHO).
Totally agree. I am irritated with the Amazon.com negative reviewers since they haven't seen enough of the show to write anything useful, IMO.

(I didn't read King's comments because I never read the book.)
Old 06-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #161
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Yes, there are sheriffs that provide local law enforcement services. But I note that -- for example, since this is one I'm familiar with -- while West Hollywood is policed by the Los Angeles County sheriff's department, the deputies don't have "West Hollywood Sheriff's Department" uniform patches. In "Under the Dome," there are "Chester's Mill Sheriff's Department" uniform patches.
The city of Jacksonville is in Duval County. A long time ago we incorporated the entire county as the city, to save on duplication of effort. Jacksonville City Limits and Duval County Limits are in exactly the same place. There are other, much smaller townships inside Duval County, which are technically inside Jacksonville City Limits because of that (like Jacksonville Beach, which has its own mayor).

The police are the Jacksonville Sheriffs Office. They have JSO on their collars and uniforms. Duval County isn't mentioned at all.

So, while it is likely extremely rare, it does happen in real life, at least once.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #162
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Interesting letter from King, thanks for posting. But a warning to those who haven't read the book...there be lots o spoilers there.

One thing that makes me happy,* SPOILER *
Actually the only real spoilers are for those who did read the book. Yours as an example. I have no idea how that played out in the book so I don't know what they changed.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #163
PotentiallyCoherent

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I don't see any sign that people aren't giving it a chance. They may complain, but from the number of posts I see, they are watching.

Personally, I liked the first episode. I guess I'm one of the gifted among us that can separate a book from a TV show.

The book was amazing, but I can handle a different interpretation of the same situation happening on TV.

Like King said, almost, how much fun would it be were it the same?
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #164
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Actually the only real spoilers are for those who did read the book. Yours as an example. I have no idea how that played out in the book so I don't know what they changed.
To be clear, you're saying if one hasn't read the book, it's ok to read?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #165
sieglinde

I read Wikipedia to learn about the lame ending to the book
Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #166
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
To be clear, you're saying if one hasn't read the book, it's ok to read?
There are minor spoilers. He explains that some things are different and mentions them but does not (except in one example) mentions what they changed from or to. There is one two word phrase that I had not heard before that is a spoiler but I think minor.

My previous post meant that if you read the book and he says "such and such" changed, you know that "such and such" is not as in the book. That is a spoiler.

If it is not against the rules, I am posting here a redacted version of this letter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen King

A Letter From Stephen:

For those of you out there in Constant Reader Land who are feeling miffed because the TV version of Under the Dome varies considerably from the book version, here’s a little story.

Near the end of his life, and long after his greatest novels were written, James M. Cain agreed to be interviewed by a student reporter who covered culture and the arts for his college newspaper. This young man began his time with Cain by bemoaning how Hollywood had changed books such as The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity. Before he could properly get into his rant, the old man interrupted him by pointing to a shelf of books behind his desk. “The movies didn’t change them a bit, son,” he said. “They’re all right up there. Every word is the same as when I wrote them.”

I feel the same way about Under the Dome. If you loved the book when you first read it, it’s still there for your perusal. But that doesn’t mean the TV series is bad, because it’s not. In fact, it’s very good. And, if you look closely, you’ll see that most of my characters are still there, although some have been combined and others have changed jobs. That’s also true of the big stuff, like the (REDACTED).

Many of the changes wrought by Brian K. Vaughan and his team of writers have been of necessity, and I approved of them wholeheartedly. (REDACTED)

That such a re-imagining had to take place was my only serious concern when the series was still in the planning stages, and that concern was purely practical. If (REDACTED) were the same on TV as in the book, everyone would know it in short order, which would spoil a lot of the fun (REDACTED). By the same token, it would spoil things if you guys knew the arcs of the characters in advance. Some who die in the book—(REDACTED)—live in the TV version of Chester’s Mill…at least for a while. And some who live in the book may not be as lucky during the run of the show. Just sayin’.

Listen, I’ve always been a situational writer. My idea of what to do with a plot is to shoot it before it can breed. It’s true that when I start a story, I usually have a general idea of where it’s going to finish up, but in many cases I end up in a different place entirely (REDACTED to not spoiler other of his books). “The book is the boss,” Alfred Bester used to say, and what that means to me is the situation is the boss. If you play fair with the characters—and let them play their parts according to their strengths and weaknesses—you can never go wrong. It’s impossible.

There’s only one element of my novel that absolutely had to be the same in the novel and the show, and that’s the Dome itself. It’s best to think of that novel and what you’re seeing week-to-week on CBS as a case of fraternal twins. Both started in the same creative womb, but you will be able to tell them apart. Or, if you’re of a sci-fi bent, think of them as alternate versions of the same reality.

As for me, I’m enjoying the chance to watch that alternate reality play out; I still think there’s no place like Dome.

As for you, Constant Reader, feel free to take the original down from your bookshelf anytime you want. Nothing between the covers has changed a bit.

Stephen King
June 27th, 2013
BTW, the redactions are mostly for those who read the book, not for the viewer only.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #167
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Actually, King's letter is nice.

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #168
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Actually, King's letter is nice.
Agreed.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #169
LlamaLarry

I rewatched the episode again so Thing 2 could watch it and also happened to check out the character bios and can definitely confirm that Junior's girlfriend and sister to home alone boy Joe, Angie McAlister, is indeed the same girl as the waitress and the candy striper.

She just happened to be really fast going from working at the cafe, to home to check on her brother (and look for her dad) and then off to the hospital.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #170
Beryl

This series has been added to Amazon Prime.

:thumbup:
Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #171
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
If it is not against the rules, I am posting here a redacted version of this letter:
Thank you
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #172
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
The city of Jacksonville is in Duval County. A long time ago we incorporated the entire county as the city, to save on duplication of effort. Jacksonville City Limits and Duval County Limits are in exactly the same place. There are other, much smaller townships inside Duval County, which are technically inside Jacksonville City Limits because of that (like Jacksonville Beach, which has its own mayor).

The police are the Jacksonville Sheriffs Office. They have JSO on their collars and uniforms. Duval County isn't mentioned at all.

So, while it is likely extremely rare, it does happen in real life, at least once.
Indianapolis works the same way. From Wikipedia:

In December 2005, the City-County Council approved a merger of the Indianapolis Police Department and the Marion County Sheriff's Department, creating the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, headed by the Marion County Sheriff
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #173
trainman
Nice to see you

Well, if a dome ever descends over Jacksonville or Indianapolis, I'll know not to complain about the name of the law enforcement department.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #174
wprager

I missed the pilot last week but watched the re-airing last night. I was intrigued by the 4-page thread for the pilot -- figured it must have been really good. Didn't realize that half this thread was devoted to a lesson on US municipal "geography". I have *not* read the book.

My firs thought was this is not a dome but a sphere. The only way I can think of getting a force-field like this up in a split second is to have it emanate from some point in the middle and go outward. It's got to be a sphere.

The Barbie character buried someone. We did not see him murdering the man. He may have had a really good reason to do what he did.

Like everyone here I could do without psycho Jr. But the actor has a strong resemblance to James Franco. Had me wondering if Franco had a younger prother.

The mother taking her daughter to some place for troubled teens was quite annoying, I agree. One of the sisters made a comment about this place being for rich parents to stuff their kids in -- and they're driving a Chevy?

But, hey, its summer and this is sci fi-ish.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #175
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
The Barbie character buried someone. We did not see him murdering the man. He may have had a really good reason to do what he did.
He didn't just bury anyone, he buried the missing husband of the hot woman who's been so kind to him. Awkward!

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #176
wprager

YEs, I caught that. Point is he didn't appear to know whom he buried (or at least not enough to recognize the guy's wife); and we didn't know who it was until we saw the picture (of course that close-up of the face in the opener was a clear indicator that we *will* see his face again).
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #177
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
In Indianapolis, they combined the Indianapolis Police Department with the Marion County Sheriff Department under what they call Unigov and they are now called the Indianapolis Metropolitan PD. Maybe this town did that but kept the Sheriff Dept name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Indianapolis works the same way. From Wikipedia:

In December 2005, the City-County Council approved a merger of the Indianapolis Police Department and the Marion County Sheriff's Department, creating the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, headed by the Marion County Sheriff
Yep!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #178
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
he said it was flooded again, implying it's a common issue.
I rewatched this episode last night. He didn't say "again" or imply that it had happened before. Just said that it was flooded.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #179
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I liked it more than I thought I would.

One thing I found interesting, which has maybe been talked about already in this thread. From the previews, I thought the female cop was the same female cop from Eureka. Even when watching this episode I thought it was her until about 30 minutes in. Then I took a close look and realized it wasn't her. At least I don't think it was her.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #180
jr461

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
I missed the pilot last week but watched the re-airing last night. I was intrigued by the 4-page thread for the pilot -- figured it must have been really good. Didn't realize that half this thread was devoted to a lesson on US municipal "geography". I have *not* read the book.

My firs thought was this is not a dome but a sphere. The only way I can think of getting a force-field like this up in a split second is to have it emanate from some point in the middle and go outward. It's got to be a sphere.
Agree regarding the thread. Hopefully all the discussion of the county in which specific cities are located or who local governing law enforcement is will have been exhausted in this thread, along with the book comparisons.

How could it have been a sphere - rather than slicing the cow, trees and buildings as it passed thru, wouldn't it have just crushed everything? Unless you are saying it just appeared in mid-air and then shot up and downward thereby slicing all in its path? My assumption was that it fell from somewhere.