Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #121
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I admire your courage in facing life with such handicaps.

See, I've always considered endings to be King's shortcoming, so a WTF ending wouldn't shock me or let me down.

I actually liked how he ended Cell because he didn't try to force/pigeonhole anything.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #122
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

I hate it when spoilers show up in the email notification.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #123
kettledrum

Anyone else notice the striking similarity in appearance between the Sheriff's deputy (Whose name I can't remember) and Jo Lupo from Eureka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
candy striper/whore GF
What is it that makes her a whore? Who else has she been sleeping with?
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #124
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
Anyone else notice the striking similarity in appearance between the Sheriff's deputy (Whose name I can't remember) and Jo Lupo from Eureka?
I hadn't been paying much attention to the cast and when the promos flew by I thought "wow, Erica Cerra is really getting typecast" it wasn't until I sat down and watched it that I realized it was Natalie Martinez from CSI:NY
Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #125
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
See, I've always considered endings to be King's shortcoming, so a WTF ending wouldn't shock me or let me down.
Yeah, maybe it was diminished expectations or something, but I've read just about every one of King's books (I consider myself a pretty big fan), and the ending of this book didn't particularly bother me. The man tells a helluva story, but he *always* has problems wrapping it up. You just know that going in.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #126
warrenn

I hope they don't try to continue the show after the season. The only reason I'm watching is because I want a story with a beginning, middle, and end. If it becomes another random mystery of the week which eventually peters out until it's canceled, I'm going to give up on it. But I'm sure the network will see the good ratings and assume the viewers want them to drag it out as long as possible. But in reality, the viewers want an actual mini-series with an actual ending.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #127
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

You should stop watching it then. They have plans to have it last 2-3 seasons at least.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #128
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
So while everybody complains about the portrayal of the sheriff department, I was wondering why the town councilman's (Big Jim's) vehicle apparently had (a bad knock-off of) Vermont license plates on it.
Didn't notice this -- every license plate I saw looked like a Pennsylvania plate.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #129
GAViewer

In ‘Under The Dome’ Producer Brian K. Vaughan Talks Series Ending he says:

Quote:
It’s been pretty close to be going on a day for each episode. So, at 13, it’s going to be at two weeks, which pretty closely mirrors the novel. The show is going to be what life is like in those first two hectic weeks under the dome. Hopefully this is just the start of an incredible journey .The fun will come in the second season, so fingers crossed that people will want to stick around with Chester’s Mill.

GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #130
JohnB1000

All Steven King books are like that, long and detailed plots that suddenly wrap up at great speed.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #131
LlamaLarry

Quote:
What is it that makes her a whore? Who else has she been sleeping with?
The scene where she interacts with Barbie was really awkward and forced, almost like the whole point was to give Junior a reason to go full psycho and hate Barbie for no apparent reason.

She seemed ready to link up with the sexy new dude in town were it not for the pesky person rolling in with a medical emergency.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #132
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Maybe ABC or NBC or Fox could produce a 3 episode miniseries for people like me who want that.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #133
danterner
Not it!

It doesn't hurt to ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #134
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
Maybe ABC or NBC or Fox could produce a 3 episode miniseries for people like me who want that.
Someone might do it on youtube.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #135
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
The scene where she interacts with Barbie was really awkward and forced, almost like the whole point was to give Junior a reason to go full psycho and hate Barbie for no apparent reason.

She seemed ready to link up with the sexy new dude in town were it not for the pesky person rolling in with a medical emergency.
So that makes her a whore? I didn't see any evidence of money exchanging hands.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #136
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Personally, I can not, NOT TALK about the series, w/o talking about the book. I think in my mind the two are intimately tied-together, especially after what both Brain Vaughn and Stephen King have said. Vaughn has taken the book, and wants to expand it into a multi-year arc (in terms of how many seasons it runs). King (as many of you have pointed -out) was obviously not too happy with the ending of his own book, so he did not mind the alteration that Brian Vaugh suggested. Obviously what they have come-up with -- together -- is agreeable to both. Will it be better? That's still to be determined, and we won't know that, until the story arc is concluded. I just hope they don't drag-it out, on and on and on in sort of a perpetual "Lost" fashion and ruin it.

For the record, without spoiling it, the book ending did not bother me. Why is that? Well, because King did a magnificent job in the preceding 1,000 pages of amping up the pressure and the tension for all the characters through all their interactions.

If Brian Vaughn can capture that even at 50%, then I think this will be a good series.

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #137
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
For the record, without spoiling it, the book ending did not bother me. Why is that? Well, because King did a magnificent job in the preceding 1,000 pages of amping up the pressure and the tension for all the characters through all their interactions.

If Brian Vaughn can capture that even at 50%, then I think this will be a good series.
The book would have been better if someone would have ripped out the last XX pages with any hint of that ending and completely left the reader wherever that had left the story... even if that means it's the domes presence is basically unresolved.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #138
TonyD79

I treat tv series versus books like they are Friday Night Lights.

Two different critters. Movies versus books, different story.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #139
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAViewer View Post
That's annoying. All of the press I've read on the show is acting like this is a 13-episode miniseries that is ending later this year.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #140
donnoh

I'm just glad that the producers felt compelled to make this show GLBT friendly and made a point out of a lesbian couple with their sick daughter. OUR daughter was annunciated to the point of okay, we get it.

I'm growing tired of the gay promotion that hollywood keeps shoving down everyones throat.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #141
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I'm just glad that the producers felt compelled to make this show GLBT friendly and made a point out of a lesbian couple with their sick daughter. OUR daughter was annunciated to the point of okay, we get it.

I'm growing tired of the gay promotion that hollywood keeps shoving down everyones throat.
I didn't notice that at all. Guess I need to watch more carefully or miss what is being shoved.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #142
TonyD79

Quote:

Yeah. Cause actually including people who exist is shoving it down your throat.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #143
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
Personally, I can not, NOT TALK about the series, w/o talking about the book.
Then start another thread and talk to your heart's delight. Seriously. I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, I simply want to watch this series without worrying about spoilers, or what the book did or didn't do. I'm watching a TV show.

As an aside, I don't have any problems with the concept of book vs TV discussion. I've read the Game of Thrones books, and was very active in the separate thread created for those who had read the books to discuss the TV show versus the books. I also understood why the non-book readers wanted us away in our own discussion.

So please do the same here.

Quote:

I guess I'm just blind to it. I never even thought about it that way. I assumed it was a mom and a daughter, and a friend along for the ride. Regardless of what or who they were, they're just people. What possible difference can it make to the average viewer, especially when it's as subtle (or non-existent) as this was?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #144
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
So that makes her a whore? I didn't see any evidence of money exchanging hands.
No, I don't think that she is a prostitute either. I guess I sided with Junior more than I realized and felt like she got over him too quickly.

Not saying I would kidnap her and lock her up in a fallout shelter though.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #145
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
You know how hilarious you guys sound when you use that phrase, right? And you do it just about every time...

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #146
squint

Quote:

Just think of them as political versions of product placements.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #147
BrettStah

Quote:

You raised her so well so that she was annucinated so quickly.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #148
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
It doesn't hurt to ask.
Request sent.

No response as of yet.

State uned.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #149
Bob Coxner

Quote:
I had to check IMDB to make sure I wasn't imagining things. They're almost clones when in uniform.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #150
billypritchard
Embiggener

If this was mentioned earlier, I may have missed it amongst book discussion.

I laughed at Junior saying to Barbie 'Be Seeing You' when the reporter showed up. Classic reference to The Prisoner, which was essentially a 'Dome' show.