TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #61
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
So, did Lawnmower man's pacemaker explode, or was he shot?
Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #62
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
I'm no huge superfan of King - but will read his books when my queue isn't too deep. I have enjoyed many of his books in the past. This is one I did not read.

With that said - I'm in ALL the way because I AM a super fan of Brian K Vaughan. Whatever he is doing, I like it. For those of you into graphic novels - do yourself a favor and check out both Y: The Last Man and Saga. Saga, which is recent and still running, is just amazing.
I found the book ending to be extremely dissatisfying, especially for a Stephen King novel. For a man who can write a thousand pages just to relate the story of eating a hamburger, he seemed to just decide at some point "OK, I don't want to write this anymore" and came up with a pretty pathetic ending.

On the other hand, I find some of the differences in the series from the book at the beginning to be alarming and disappointing -- taking the few really good aspects of the novel and littering it with typical manufactured soap opera controversy. But we'll see where it actually goes. There's little else to watch, at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #63
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Nice TC, Doug!

Especially when we discussed NOT comparing the book earlier in the thread!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #64
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The Reno sheriff's office was the only town law enforcement in Reno 911!. :-)
Yeah, and there is no such thing. It's actually Reno Police Dept, but there is the outlying Washoe County Sheriff's Dept. I just figured they did that so as to not to be TOTALLY making fun of our police dept. I'm probably wrong, but that's what I decided.

As to the show - Not having read the book, I enjoyed the episode, especially for a network show. Outside of sitcoms, I don't watch that many network shows.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #65
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Nice TC, Doug!

Especially when we discussed NOT comparing the book earlier in the thread!
I didn't compare the book; I expressed my resulting opinions, having read the book. There's not one single factual thing about any theme, plot, or detail in the book mentioned in my post.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #66
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I didn't compare the book; I expressed my resulting opinions, having read the book. There's not one single factual thing about any theme, plot, or detail in the book mentioned in my post.

Opinions of the book and the 'disappointing differences' are comparisons and threadcrapping, Doug. You've been around long enough to know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I found the book ending to be extremely dissatisfying, especially for a Stephen King novel. For a man who can write a thousand pages just to relate the story of eating a hamburger, he seemed to just decide at some point "OK, I don't want to write this anymore" and came up with a pretty pathetic ending.

On the other hand, I find some of the differences in the series from the book at the beginning to be alarming and disappointing -- taking the few really good aspects of the novel and littering it with typical manufactured soap opera controversy. But we'll see where it actually goes. There's little else to watch, at least.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #67
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Opinions of the book and the 'disappointing differences' are comparisons and threadcrapping, Doug. You've been around long enough to know this.
No they're not, and I was responding to a post on the thread, on topic. I was discussing the episode and my opinions of it. I didn't talk about anything not in the episode, nor anything from the book. I didn't spoil the book. Nor did I even spoil the episode. It was purely my impression and opinion of watching the episode, for which this thread is specifically about.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #68
TiVoJedi

Good thing most of the cows made it to the outside of the dome. If the dome isn't permeable think of all the increased methane that would build up from cow flatulence. Of course the townspeople will probably eat all the cows as time goes by anyway. As for the water the groundwater will eventually deplete after decades if the dome extends all the way around the subsurface. There's no way for water vapor to get in from outside, so no clouds and no rain to replenish the groundwater either!

Going to heat up in their bubble! Hope they like living in a greenhouse with no vents!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #69
squint

If water and water vapor can't enter the sphere then it also can't leave so I don't think they'll run out of water.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #70
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Whine much?

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #71
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
If water and water vapor can't enter the sphere then it also can't leave so I don't think they'll run out of water.
over time the amount of usable water would lessen, due to sewage and such, and if the water isn't moving, what is there will stagnate.

Then there is evaporation.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #72
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Whine much?
Interfere much?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #73
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
I'm no huge superfan of King - but will read his books when my queue isn't too deep. I have enjoyed many of his books in the past. This is one I did not read.

With that said - I'm in ALL the way because I AM a super fan of Brian K Vaughan. Whatever he is doing, I like it. For those of you into graphic novels - do yourself a favor and check out both Y: The Last Man and Saga. Saga, which is recent and still running, is just amazing.
I don't know who Vaughn is (at least by name) but I see that Jack Bender and Stephen Spielberg have their names attached to the show as well, and I generally like the work they've done.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #74
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Interfere much?
Not usually, but this hair-trigger childish crying behavior over the most trivial things is getting on my nerves.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #75
LlamaLarry

I'm on the fence with this one.

Neither side set up a road construction sign or something similar to at least allow text communication with the other side?

The radio station and the hottie redhead journalist/editor (depending on who she talks to) have generators, but not the giant restaurant (that was a restaurant right) where the sheriff gave the town the rundown on where they stand?

I don't think I can hate the LA folks "just passing through" much more, especially the mom that wondered why they don't get over the wall so her daughter can get to a real doctor. I was hoping for their deaths as soon as the daughter whined about not having access to gas station orange juice...

Junior is a little too crazy for me on Day 0 and I was a little confused by the physical and clothing similarity between his candy striper/whore GF and the underaged sister of the boy that was left Home Alone. BTW, who the hell builds a fallout shelter prone to flooding?

The closing scene with the soldiers running around aimlessly, yet none of them even noticing that the law keepers of the town are there and one happens to have had his {speculation} pacemaker battery explode and collapse in a bloody heap.

After reading the thread I see that Barbie's apparent disconnect between the opening scene and then pretty much the rest of the entire episode makes a bit more sense. He went from murdering, law evading, badass to HelperMan with side of Sexy Friendly Guy.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #76
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

I used to be a Stephen King fan, and read every piece of fiction he wrote all the way up to when Desperation and The Regulators came out together in 1996. And then I took a break and started reading other stuff and never went back. That's not a judgement, it's just that Steve got to big for anyone to effectively edit and his books were getting so much longer and deeper into the minutiae than they needed to to tell a good story.

So, all of this story is completely fresh to me, much like Game of Thrones, and I support the use of a separate thread for those that want to discuss the difference between the book and the show.

I like what I have seen so far, and I hope all 13 weeks stay strong and don't fizzle out into the ridiculous.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #77
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Not really a book/show spoiler, but the actor they chose for Big Jim is probably the closest to what I imagined him looking/acting like in the book.
Interesting; in my mind's eye he looked more like John Goodman with a thin mustache.

Like that, only pencil-thin

But I love Dean Norris and I'm glad to see him in the show; he just seems smallish.
| Twitter:

Last edited by danterner : 06-26-2013 at 01:35 PM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #78
andyw715

I'm off to go UTD-filming hunting. I'll try to get some good picks.

Still haven't found the dome around here yet

andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #79
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
I'm off to go UTD-filming hunting. I'll try to get some good picks.

Still haven't found the dome around here yet
WATCH OUT FOR THAT INVISIBLE WA.......!!!!!!!

*CRASH*

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #80
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
The Reno sheriff's office was the only town law enforcement in Reno 911!. :-)

In reality, small (and some large) towns all over the country outsource their police needs to the county sheriff. For example, from Wikipedia regarding the Los Angeles County Sheriff:

Forty-two of the county's 88 municipalities contract with the Sheriff’s Department to provide local police protection. These cities, range in population from 800 to 177,000, and in size from 1 to 100 square miles.
Indeed. I live in Orange County (immediately south of LA County) in an unincorporated county "island". We are not a city, and have no municipal government, so we contract with the county for most of our services, including law enforcement (through the OC Sheriff).
Old 06-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #81
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Indeed. I live in Orange County (immediately south of LA County) in an unincorporated county "island". We are not a city, and have no municipal government, so we contract with the county for most of our services, including law enforcement (through the OC Sheriff).
Yes, there are sheriffs that provide local law enforcement services. But I note that -- for example, since this is one I'm familiar with -- while West Hollywood is policed by the Los Angeles County sheriff's department, the deputies don't have "West Hollywood Sheriff's Department" uniform patches. In "Under the Dome," there are "Chester's Mill Sheriff's Department" uniform patches.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #82
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
I was a little confused by the physical and clothing similarity between his candy striper/whore GF and the underaged sister of the boy that was left Home Alone.

That wasn't the same girl? I need to pay better attention.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #83
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
WATCH OUT FOR THAT INVISIBLE WA.......!!!!!!!

*CRASH*
He did kind of miss a golden opportunity.

"Still haven't found the dome around here y"

Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #84
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Yes, there are sheriffs that provide local law enforcement services. But I note that -- for example, since this is one I'm familiar with -- while West Hollywood is policed by the Los Angeles County sheriff's department, the deputies don't have "West Hollywood Sheriff's Department" uniform patches. In "Under the Dome," there are "Chester's Mill Sheriff's Department" uniform patches.
Ah, I did not notice that. I believe that falls under the picking of nits.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #85
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Maybe the township of Chester's Mill is located in the county of Chester's Mill?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #86
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Maybe the township of Chester's Mill is located in the county of Chester's Mill?
Sacramento is in Sacramento County.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #87
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Apparently you and I were the only ones disappointed. That opening scene of him burying the body and avoiding the police just seems WRONG!
It seems that way.

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #88
ElJay

I was glad to see Rachelle Lefevre's flowing locks on the screen again.

So while everybody complains about the portrayal of the sheriff department, I was wondering why the town councilman's (Big Jim's) vehicle apparently had (a bad knock-off of) Vermont license plates on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
While there is no power, I didn't hear anyone mention anything about no running water. If there is still water that would mean the underground pipes are still intact which would indicate the dome doesn't go too far underground.
Or did I miss something?
I think in one of the wide shots of Chester's Mills at the end there was a water tower pictured. Perhaps they are running off of that for now.

On second thought, maybe what I saw was the antenna for the radio station...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radio-header.jpg (114.7 KB, 360 views)
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #89
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
I agree that comparisons to the book should be in their own thread. I am one that hasn't read the book, so watching as it unfolds.
I doubt I continue to make comparison to the book for future episodes but some of the changes were so strange to me they caught me off guard this first episode. Either one of two things will happen.
  1. I will learn to accept the changes and just watch the show.
  2. I will just give up and stop watching the show.

Either way I will probably stop making comparisons.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #90
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Sacramento is in Sacramento County.
Dallas is in Dallas County

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote