TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #91
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

^^ Agreed. Those little earthworms she found early on would have been dandy fish bait. I thought it was interesting that she said she'd done nothing but prepare for the 6 weeks leading up to this and it was mostly all useless.

I got a big laugh out of the voice-over at the end. When Puma was getting out of the hospital it was announced that the virus he'd contracted had been determined to be "non-lethal". Well duh!

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #92
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
The lady on next week's episode, Ky, looks like she is a major bad-ass!

http://kyfurneaux.com/on-camera.html

Not much body fat, though. Hopefully she finds enough food!
I've noticed that a lot of these fit, outdorsey participants look a bit hefty for typical outdoor adventurers when first starting out. I'd wager that they deliberately put on weight in anticipation of starvation or near starvation for 3 weeks. I would carb up in preparation.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #93
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
The lady on next week's episode, Ky, looks like she is a major bad-ass!

http://kyfurneaux.com/on-camera.html

Not much body fat, though. Hopefully she finds enough food!
Wow! Ky looks awesome ... can't wait for her episode.

The amazon woman with the little hippy dude was a bit of a letdown, but it shows how difficult it can be, psychologically, to continue without your partner to keep each other motivated. So in that way it was still a good episode.

I am really liking this show, partly because of the ever-changing cast of characters and various locations.

"Survivor" used to switch up the locations, but over the last many seasons it seems that the location is basically the same. Change the name, but they all look the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #94
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
I'd wager that they deliberately put on weight in anticipation of starvation or near starvation for 3 weeks. I would carb up in preparation.
I would not take the opposing side of that wager!

It will be interesting to see how Ky looks at the beginning of her test.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #95
danielhart
Finnhater

so i am watching the borneo episode - curious as to why they would be paranoid about drinking water that is briskly and rapidly running over rocks?
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #96
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
so i am watching the borneo episode - curious as to why they would be paranoid about drinking water that is briskly and rapidly running over rocks?
Because that is no guarantee that the water is free of pathogens, especially where they were.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #97
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

I wish the editors added a continuous time / date clock in the corner of the screen. I was trying to figure out how much time they spent the first day traveling to their camp. Did they spend too much time traveling, or were they just let off in a spot that was miles away from any reasonable choice for a camp?
I don't think they have much choice where they camp. It seems they ar given the map and told where to camp.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #98
Hank
AC•FTW

I wonder why they don't mention what virus puma had?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #99
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I wonder why they don't mention what virus puma had?
Probably insufficiently deadly-sounding.

Speaking of that, aren't there inoculations against typhus, malaria, and the like? Surely these people have been immunized prior to leaving for their adventure.

meh
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #100
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
Because that is no guarantee that the water is free of pathogens, especially where they were.
so he drinks from that little moss covered stream when there was a large area of fast running water (almost to the level of rapids) filtering over rocks?

agitation is a pretty effective way of ridding water of pathogens imo. not a guarantee, but if i was dehydrated, that's the water i would drink.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #101
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Probably insufficiently deadly-sounding.

Speaking of that, aren't there inoculations against typhus, malaria, and the like? Surely these people have been immunized prior to leaving for their adventure.
it doesn't really make sense that it was some kind of unnamed virus, especially if he purported to have gotten sick from drinking contaminated water. In that case it would almost always be bacterial and it would not take a week for the illness to show up.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #102
philw1776

Bad water would have affected him right away. It didn't. They made it clear that somehow he contracted a virus. Do you know precisely how you contracted your last viral cold?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #103
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
Bad water would have affected him right away. It didn't. They made it clear that somehow he contracted a virus. Do you know precisely how you contracted your last viral cold?
they said it was a virus and that he got it from the water he drank from the mossy rock on day 2 - which doesn't add up...

meh, i am not gonna call for an investigation or anything...lol...

(ftr and fwiw i am an RN for 25 years and know a bit more than the layperson about virology and epidemiology)

bottom line is i do find the show entertaining but also have concerns about some of the "reality" of it...
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #104
danielhart
Finnhater

to add, it's more likely he had something parasitic or even viral which he just contracted from merely being in that environment, but that's not as sexy as saying he got it from "bad water which he shouldn't have drank." They had video of that and I think they just wanted to make that connection - a random mosquito bite wouldn't fit the drama bill imo.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #105
john4200

Quote:
Bad water would have affected him right away. It didn't.
Are you sure about that? Some infections have an incubation time. Certainly there are some things that would have affected him right away, but I don't see how you can rule out something else with an incubation time of several days.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #106
philw1776

Bad water is bacterial, hits you fast. Viruses have incubation times that vary; LOTS of viral sources in rain forest.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #107
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
... Speaking of that, aren't there inoculations against typhus, malaria, and the like? Surely these people have been immunized prior to leaving for their adventure.
I wonder if Jenny McCarthy was to be on the show, would she get inoculated?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #108
john4200

Quote:
Bad water is bacterial, hits you fast. Viruses have incubation times that vary; LOTS of viral sources in rain forest.
You are making sweeping generalizations that are far from absolutely correct.

For example, a quick web search finds that cholera and typhoid fever are common waterborne bacterial diseases, and they have incubation times of 1-7 and 7-14 days.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #109
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
You are making sweeping generalizations that are far from absolutely correct.

For example, a quick web search finds that cholera and typhoid fever are common waterborne bacterial diseases, and they have incubation times of 1-7 and 7-14 days.
At least from my own argument , if you will, I have been maintaining that they claimed it was some sort of water borne virus, and not a bacteria. It could simply boil down to the producers either being too lazy or too ignorant to differentiate between them but I really think they were just trying to play up the drama

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #110
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
It could simply boil down to the producers either being too lazy or too ignorant to differentiate between them...
That was the whole problem, he drank the water without simply boiling it down!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #111
Ment

Things I learned. Drinking water out of a hole in the side of the earth is okay.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #112
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Things I learned. Drinking water out of a hole in the side of the earth is okay.
Better than a low lying stream, anyway. The problem with the stream is that they were in an area with a lot of animal life that could have defecated or died upstream, which is a major source of pathogens in the water.

Rain water that has filtered down through the ground is much less likely to contain pathogens -- the ground actually filters out some things as the water passes through it, and there is obviously less chance of animal waste collecting there. But the water he found was not very deep underground. The best wells are quite a bit deeper.

Last edited by john4200 : 07-29-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #113
john4200

So, Ky was not as bad-ass as I had expected. She had a mostly good attitude, but she did not contribute anything that I saw to getting them food, and she was squeamish about killing that rodent.

I am highly suspicious of Ky finding that pot. I wonder if it was planted by the showrunners. When I first saw the conditions there were in, and that they only had a knife and a firestarter, I figured they would not last the week since they would not have any drinkable water. But then she miraculously finds a pot in the middle of the swamp.

I think these were the worst conditions we have seen so far this season. Even if they could have chosen their items to bring after seeing the conditions, I think it would have been tough. I would have gone with an axe (preferably one that could be thrown accurately) and a large pot (assuming I did not know there was a pot in the swamp), but then it would have been tough to get a fire started. Maybe if they had managed to find their second island on their first day, they could have found enough dry tender and wood to make a fire without a firestarter.

Once again I thought they made a mistake not creating some sort of foot protection right at the beginning. Even a section of a split tree, tied to the soles of the feet with small vines, would have probably helped a lot.

Although the guy was supposed to be an expert at making primitive weapons, I was not impressed. All he really made was an arrowhead on a spear. I wasn't expecting a bow and arrow under those conditions, but I would have expected something better. With all the birds around, maybe a sling? Maybe a tomahawk sort of thing he could throw? Something to hunt the birds would have been useful.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #114
Ment

I'm more surprised there wasn't more junk to find since it floods there quite often, items such as plastic bottles and such. When they build their shelters why didn't they build a platform off the ground. Maybe not on the first night but later. You've got to figure that water comes from somewhere and that water level varies. Once they build a permanent structure off the ground they could build what the built later, a platform with a earthen center where you could build and maintain a fire.

Poor choice of implement also. Rather have a machete than a knife. Much easier to hack/slash and to build with it. A knife takes so much more energy as well to do similar building tasks.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #115
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I don't think there is any doubt that the pot was planted by production. 0% chance of survival without it. I don't really care either way.

I was wondering if the first place they stopped may not have been the place on the map...and the second place was - maybe they just didn't hike enough initially.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #116
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Although the guy was supposed to be an expert at making primitive weapons, I was not impressed. All he really made was an arrowhead on a spear. I wasn't expecting a bow and arrow under those conditions, but I would have expected something better. With all the birds around, maybe a sling? Maybe a tomahawk sort of thing he could throw? Something to hunt the birds would have been useful.
He was complaining about the birds picking off the crawfish so easily - and I was wondering why he didn't just kill the birds.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #117
jeepair

When they looked in to see what was in their bags, I got the impression they didn't know until they actually looked and took their items out. Are we certain they choose their items or are the items supplied without the contestants knowing the contents.

Small crappy knife. I'd want a large machete or an axe/hatchet.

Nice innovation on using that log/board to push up animals in the water to dry land.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #118
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I haven't watched this ep yet, but since they're in the USA there would be considerable restrictions on what birds they are allowed to kill.

meh
Old 07-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #119
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
When they looked in to see what was in their bags, I got the impression they didn't know until they actually looked and took their items out. Are we certain they choose their items or are the items supplied without the contestants knowing the contents.

Small crappy knife. I'd want a large machete or an axe/hatchet.

Nice innovation on using that log/board to push up animals in the water to dry land.
Well the one dude chose goggles and that is pretty specific. Perhaps for other more commonly chosen survival gear they can only choose the class of item knife/container/fire starter.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #120
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
I haven't watched this ep yet, but since they're in the USA there would be considerable restrictions on what birds they are allowed to kill.
pfff...restrictions aren't going to stop me if I'm starving.

Me: "Oh I'm so hungry - look...there's a Swan!"

Production: "Uhm, you can't kill that, it's against Section 182 Article 401 of The US Arbitrary Act.."

Me: "Oh, so you're going to feed me then?"

Production: "No, this is a survival show, you're on your own"

Me: "Then turn your head and turn off the camera, because I'm eating this b$%#&!"